PDA

View Full Version : How do I set a Cpr Aeroforce skimmer?

ryanb69
01-23-2012, 03:48 AM
I just put a Cpr Aeroforce skimmer on my 20gal tank today. I have never had a skimmer, and don't know much about setting them. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what a good setting on a skimmer looks like(how much foam should there be, high high should i have my cup set..etc) Really any info that is useful for me to know with a HOB skimmer would be greatly appreciated! thanks~

sumpfinfishe
01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Ryan you want the waterline to be at the bottom of the throat of the skimmer,
this will give you a steady stream of bubbles in the riser tube to the top of the
collection cup. However by the sounds of things this is a new skimmer so it will
prob need a few days or a week to break-in which means get dirty. You will
need to adjust once your skimmer gets broken in usually by turning a valve to
raise the air flow or water height. Dont worry too much about performance until
your skimmer is broken-in, then simply adjust it so its producing dryer bubbles
which will give you a green or brown liquid in the cup, if the liquid is clear then
the skimmer is skimming too wet an thus you need to increase air flow or reduce
the water height in the neck of the skimmer.

ryanb69
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Ok thanks! It's actually a used skimmer, my brother had it so it is already broken in! Last night I got pure clear liquid, so I'll adjust the water pump to allow less water into the skimmer. Also, does height of the skimmer cup matter? And my air intake creates an annoying suction sound, anyway to stop it? Thanks!

sumpfinfishe
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes the height of the cup will also determine what is being collected, if the cup
is too low the skimmer will produce too wet of foam(clear liquid) as if too high it may not produce
enough liquid so adjust a little at a time to find the happy medium. As for making it quieter, im sure if you google the skimmer with mod at the end you may find some trick to slience it a little, however all skimmers will make some noise due to mixing of air an water at high
rates.

sumpfinfishe
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
The water level height in your tank orsump will also effect the performance of your skimmer. You may want to pickup a timmer or unplug it as its also best to shut it down
in a smaller tank, as when you feed this can cause the skimmer to over skim or overflow the cup.

ryanb69
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I was thinking of running my skimmer only at night, which takes care of the noise issue. Is this an alright plan? It would run from 11pm to 11am, opposite of my LEDs

sumpfinfishe
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
If your tank is heavy stocked you should run it 24/7, however if lightly stocked i'm sure
you could get away with just at night. There are other factors to consider as well tho like how much an often you do water changes an how much you feed.

ryanb69
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Ok,thanks for all the info, for now I wi run it at night and try to play with the settings to get brown liquid. Im Guessing I won't have much yet as I don't have any fish because my tank is cycling. I'll let ya know how it goes. I plan in doing 10% water changes/week, thanks man!