PDA

View Full Version : What is this crap? How do I get rid of it?

The Grizz
01-22-2012, 02:37 AM
I've got a couple patches of this crap that I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it. Anyone got the solution?

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/9d8ae49f.jpg

Zoaelite
01-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Digitate Hydroid... It's the devil, I ended up throwing the whole rock out that the stuff was on. It spreads, stings and SUCKS!

Nano
01-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Damn that sucks! I was wondering when I looked at it at your place, but I thought it was something you grew on purpose lol. Hope you find a cure!

Delphinus
01-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Take a blowtorch to the rock :lol:

(Actually I'm not really kidding - if you do it though be careful, you don't want the rock shattering on you.)

Do you have any dwarf/pygmy angels (Centropyge) ? They sometimes will pick at it.

The problem with just scraping them off is that they burrow into the rock so you only give them a haircut.

You can sometimes smother them with epoxy (you can always remove the epoxy later) but this looks like a pretty large colony.

I'm thinking blowtorch or letting the rock dry out and reseeding it in a curing tub are probably the better silver bullets.

Good luck..

The Grizz
01-22-2012, 04:15 AM
TORCH IT IS!! I think I have one of those somewhere around here. Luck thing is there is nothing else attached to the rock it is on. Thanks for the info Levi & Tony.

Nano
01-22-2012, 04:18 AM
Good luck dude. Kill the buggers.

Starry
01-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Aren't those colonial hydroids? Thought the digitate ones looked more like little white strings waving around.
If the torch doesn't work, a night in the deep freeze will.

fishytime
01-22-2012, 04:34 AM
If the torch doesn't work, a night in the deep freeze will.

otherwise known as the backyard, around here recently.....brrrr

lockrookie
01-22-2012, 05:11 AM
use a cutting torch lol or plazma cutter.. no survivors slicethat area off

Cal_stir
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
we had a similar pest, boiled the rock for six hours, soaked it in tank water for 24, they never came back

Proteus
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
+1 on colonial hydroids. The digi are long whitish sweeper. Which also sting

paddyob
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
use a cutting torch lol or plazma cutter.. no survivors slicethat area off

Plasma won't work.

It needs a ground... Which is the piece of metal to be cut. It will just fizzle and screw up the cap and tips.

At least any plasma I have operated.

Dig that torch out yet?

lockrookie
01-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Plasma won't work.

It needs a ground... Which is the piece of metal to be cut. It will just fizzle and screw up the cap and tips.

At least any plasma I have operated.

Dig that torch out yet?

i realise that it was meant to be a haha :razz: im sure he has one laying around.

fishytime
01-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Preparation H...... Oh wait, that's for something else..... Although I wonder if kalk paste would work?... If it does, you could call it prep H for hydroids:mrgreen:

fiorano
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Hahaha I love how extreme some pest removal methods can be. And its always nice when the rock in question has nothing expensive attached to it as well. Which reminds me I saw an undesirable mushroom on one of my rocks this morning, might take him out to meet my 30-06 Hahahaha

paddyob
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
i realise that it was meant to be a haha :razz: im sure he has one laying around.

Haha.

I was a plasma operator in the past... The technical comes out. Lol.

The Grizz
01-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Torch have not come out just yet, I am playing around with my LED's on my tank & I must say " ME LIKE " :biggrin:

Nano
01-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Torch have not come out just yet, I am playing around with my LED's on my tank & I must say " ME LIKE " :biggrin:

My eyes are still buggered from seeing those things. you sure did a kick a$$ job on them