PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Stainless

Tman1973
02-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Has anyone here ever used mirrored stainless for a reflector?

I can get a decent deal on a piece so I'm wondering if anyone has some feed back.

Thanks,

Trevor

UnderWorldAquatics
02-24-2004, 09:02 PM
it will rust... unless well protected
polished aluminum is better, and i like to use mylar as well

StirCrazy
02-25-2004, 12:52 AM
it will rust... unless well protected
polished aluminum is better, and i like to use mylar as well

I think the type of lighting should be asatained befor we start chucking out things that could melt.

the best all around reflector material is spectral aluminium, this is not polished aluminum. polished alumium will re tarnish there for it is not sutible as will the stainless steel. mylar is ok but not realy very reflective and will melt causing distortions in the reflector

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
sorry, my bad, shiny spectral aluminum, not polished aluminum, and 6 mil mylar wont melt, I have used it for alot of 400 and 1000 watt reflectors, works great. I dont know what the reflective intensity of my mylar is but it seems every bit as reflective as any other reflector I have used, isnt silver one of the most reflective materials???

StirCrazy
02-25-2004, 11:34 PM
isnt silver one of the most reflective materials???

silver is not one of the best but it is good, the problem is there is a coating over the film in mylar and it severly reduces the reflectivity. I think my info peggged a very high quality mylar at about 83% reflectivity.. on the same token a nickle coated spectral aluminum has a reflectivity in the range of 98.9 to 99.3% (about the best you will find)

I have melted mylar with NO tubes so I gues it all depends on how much room you have to space it away from the bulbs.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
02-25-2004, 11:46 PM
I guess it also depends on the quality of mylar as well, most of the mylar i see is 2mil or thinner, I use 6 mil mylar and have used it within an inch of a 1000watt metal halide with no signs of melting, I would be interested in seeing what the reflective qualities are of the mylar I use...