PDA

View Full Version : When to retest water

linz8392
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Just wondering....how long after adding supplememts (ie: for Calcium or Magnesium) would you wait until you retest the water?

A day? A couple hours?

thanks

Zoaelite
01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Depends on your turn over, usually after 30 mins you should be good to retest your parameters.

reefwars
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
would also add its good to test before and after.what are you using for additives??

linz8392
01-21-2012, 08:34 PM
i normally dont use additives. i tested my water today with a brand new Seachem kit for Magnesium and Calcium and both are down a bit...

Calcium = around 280

Magnesium = 900

So i added Seachem Magnesion and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium raiser.

Later on i'll test again and then maybe Monday add again to slowly raise them.

Correct? Or is my thinking wrong?

reefwars
01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
i normally dont use additives. i tested my water today with a brand new Seachem kit for Magnesium and Calcium and both are down a bit...

Calcium = around 280

Magnesium = 900

So i added Seachem Magnesion and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium raiser.

Later on i'll test again and then maybe Monday add again to slowly raise them.

Correct? Or is my thinking wrong?

thats fine, im not familiar with seachem products but your on the right track just be sure to monitor your alk as welll.when dosing calcium(liquid calcium additive right??) make sure to test for alk as one effects the other.and dont dose too much in one dose do it gradually over a few days

do you have corals in your tank?

linz8392
01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I tested Alk last night....

4 meg/L = 11.2 dKH

So according to what i read it's within specs of where it should be.

Yeah that's why im skipping a day to add more additives.

My Calcium additive is a powder that i premix in freshwater then add to the sump.

Why, do you think a liquid Calcium additive is better?

linz8392
01-21-2012, 09:07 PM
also i have corals yes

reefwars
01-21-2012, 09:09 PM
I tested Alk last night....

4 meg/L = 11.2 dKH

So according to what i read it's within specs of where it should be.

Yeah that's why im skipping a day to add more additives.

My Calcium additive is a powder that i premix in freshwater then add to the sump.

Why, do you think a liquid Calcium additive is better?

no not really in fact its alot more expensive, i prefer to use a kalk drip for calcium.alk is a bit high as well its not horribly high but its border line high.heres a very very good read on parameters should have all the info you need:)

i keep my tank at

cal: 420-440
alk: 7-8
mg: 1300

this is just me though not in anyway a must have find out what works best for your tank. remember the " big three" are linked together so raising one effects the other.alot of people start with alk as there starting grounds for dosing:)

heres the link:)

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

linz8392
01-21-2012, 09:15 PM
ok thanks it IS a good link

i'll do an water change today too...maybe a couple of 5 gallon pails and see if my alk comes down a bit.

reefwars
01-21-2012, 09:27 PM
ok thanks it IS a good link

i'll do an water change today too...maybe a couple of 5 gallon pails and see if my alk comes down a bit.

from your pics doesnt seem to be alot of high demanding corals so some water changes will def help bring you to where you need to be.what are you using for salt??

is this a new tank or is it established??

linz8392
01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
no this tank isnt new...

i started out with a 20 gallon in January 2004
then went to a 46 gallon bow front
now im in this 75 gallon with sump...had it running in this tank for about 3 years or so.

the current pail of salt i am using is Red Sea.