PDA

View Full Version : Noisy MP40

Coralgurl
01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
My mp40 got knocked around yesterday and while it didn't hit the floor, has gotten very rattly, seems from the wet side. I had it attached to the tank. Can this be adjusted/fixed? I'm sure my fish are not to happy without the noise, I've turned it off for the day.
Thanks.

Lampshade
01-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Doubel check to make sure it's still aligned properly. A VERY slight mis-alignment causes lots of noise. If you bumped it it may have shifted.

Coralgurl
01-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks, I had to reposition it as the wet side was actually on the rocks, the dry side was off the tank but held up in my mess of cables. I used a new sticky pad to hold it up, realigned it and it didn't help, played around with it, walked away then turned it off, its not the alignment.

Reefer Rob
01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Disassemble the wet side and check for broken/worn parts.
http://ecotechmarine.com/media-gallery/video/gen-2-wet-side-disassembly-2/

globaldesigns
01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmmmm, I would take the back off the wet side, it just pops off and rinse, maybe you have something inside or stuck within the prop area.

What kind of sound is it. I just had to have a couple parts replaced (Thanks Dave @ Concept) as the nut would not stay fastened causing the drive shaft to spin within the implellor. Boy what a noise that caused, loud squeel, that go louder as the nut got looser. A new nut, that stays where it should fixed this.

Coralgurl
01-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Disassemble the wet side and check for broken/worn parts.
http://ecotechmarine.com/media-gallery/video/gen-2-wet-side-disassembly-2/

Hmmmm, I would take the back off the wet side, it just pops off and rinse, maybe you have something inside or stuck within the prop area.

Thanks, I will take it apart tonight and see what happens.

fishytime
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
just be EXTREMELY careful when tightening up that plastic nut.....over tighten it one iota and its buggered....

Coralgurl
01-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I think its buggered anyway.....:twised: but will give it a try later.

Coralgurl
01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I've gotten the wet side partially taken apart but think it needs to sit in some vinegar as the only part I can get apart is the nut off the propeller. The propeller is really loose so hopefully can figure out what needs to be fixed/adjusted.