PDA

View Full Version : My Algae Scrubber Experience

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 01:06 AM
For the past two years I have been battling hair algae and excess nutrients in my 200 gal SPS dominated display tank. After fighting off acro-eating flatworms and then montipora eating nudibranches, I was never able to regain control of hair algae and my nutrient level. Even though nitrate (<5 ppm) and phosphate testing (<0.1 ppm) showed low levels of nutrients, rampant hair algae and poor SPS growth indicated that I had excess nutrients. I feed 1/2 sheet of nori and 2 cubes of mysis per day. I do 10-15% water changes every one-two weeks.

I tried zeoreactors with carbon dosing and bacterial supplements for a year and then tried 2 liters of bio-pellets plus bacterial supplements for a year, but conditions didn't improve. I had to try something else, so I set up an algae scrubber using the guidance of algaescrubber.net.

I am very, very happy with the results. I have been at it for 3 months now and results continue to improve. Hair algae growth is significantly reduced and gradually receding. More importantly, my SPS growth has returned to former levels, colors are better and polyp extension is better. Colonies that had shown no growth for many months are now sprouting new tips everywhere and visible growth of SPS colonies is quite apparent. Areas damaged by hair algae or cyano encroachment are repairing. All cyano has disappeared. Maintenance is very simple, clean the mesh once every two weeks, and I don't have to dose anything. I took the bio-pellets out two weeks after starting the scrubber.

My scrubber is 24" long and uses 2 10x10" mesh pads. Since my overflow return is too low to supply the scrubber, I pump 600 gpm water out of the sump into the scrubber supply tube which flows down the mesh and exits the bottom of the scrubber back to the sump. I have 4 x 2-17w 24" fluorescent fixtures with warm white bulbs that are clamped onto the outside of a clear acrylic box that the mesh pads hang in. The lights are on 18 hrs per day.
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo171/pterfloth/IMG_0091.jpg

This is the growth I get at the end of two weeks, on both sides of each mesh pad. In total, I scrape off about 4-6 cups of thick wet algae every two weeks.
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo171/pterfloth/IMG_0095.jpg

All the information you need can be found at algaescrubber.net or on Reef Central.

lastlight
01-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Some lush growth for sure. Did you seed the screens with a specific algae?

Acipenser
01-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Interesting read, I hope I never need to do this.

lastlight
01-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Forgot to ask but light hits 2 sides of mesh. How is it growing like that on 4 sides?

reefwars
01-20-2012, 01:25 AM
haha looks great im building one myself now.what are you using for lights??

reefme
01-20-2012, 01:33 AM
I use a 5 gallon bucket type for my 120 gallon.

jagermaier
01-20-2012, 01:39 AM
I guess its a refugium for hair algea then.

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Some lush growth for sure. Did you seed the screens with a specific algae?

No, I did not seed the mesh but it is important to rough-up the surface. The first two weeks I got a mix of brown slime and algae but after that, good solid algae took over. I followed the guide at algae scrubber.net pretty closely and my results appear to be consistent with what they say I should expect.

I have two 10x10" mesh pads strung linearly. Each side of each pad looks like that after two weeks. Growth on two sides, not four.

Industrial Plastics built the acrylic box for me. Total cost with lights (I had a spare pump) was about $200.

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 01:48 AM
haha looks great im building one myself now.what are you using for lights??

I'm just using standard T8 warm white bulbs.

mr_alberta
01-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Looks great. I've always wanted to try the algae scrubber method but just can't seem to cram any more in the space I have. Is the light on 24/7 or reverse photoperiod?

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Looks great. I've always wanted to try the algae scrubber method but just can't seem to cram any more in the space I have. Is the light on 24/7 or reverse photoperiod?

Reverse light period, but on 18 hrs/day vs 12 for the tank lights.

Edmonton newbie
01-20-2012, 03:58 AM
looks great i started mine over the christmas holidays, my growth is not that thick yet but i have 0s across the board on my test kits, im running cfls for lights 18h on 6h off. switched out for a second screen cuz i roughed up too high on the first one and was getting the algea growing into the water feed.

reefwars
01-20-2012, 04:03 AM
guess i could add this in case anyone doesnt want to go browsing through the algaescrubber forumns its a basic diy for a scrubber im gonna use this and tweak it a bit:pppp

http://www.livingreefs.com/build-algae-scrubber-t32422.html

Edmonton newbie
01-20-2012, 04:09 AM
yup denny thats pretty much what mine is like just hang the screen and wait a week lol seeds itself and all you gotta do is harvest

Palmer
01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
I was looking at the link just posted. For those of you that use this design do you cut off the zip ties attaching the screen to the pipe each week when cleaning the screen?

Edmonton newbie
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
no zip ties here i cut a piece of thin wall pipe a size bigger than my feed pipe and use a coupe of them instead

Proteus
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info. Shall start a build right away

globaldesigns
01-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Very cool, and the million dollar question is: Is it helping your tank and nutrient levels?

Edmonton newbie
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
global i doubled my feedings just to test it all out and found for the first time in 3 years i am running 0's in all my tests across the board, i brought a sample to the fish store and they got zeros too

Edmonton newbie
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
titus get on it lol works great hope to see your pics next week lol

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Very cool, and the million dollar question is: Is it helping your tank and nutrient levels?

That's the only question that really matters. I held off posting anything until I had been running for long enough to answer that question. There is no doubt in my mind that my SPS corals have improved tremendously since I added the algae scrubber. Colonies that had shown no growth for the previous year are now growing like mad. Bright new growth tips are popping up all over. My LPS remain unchanged. The only downside I've noticed is that my red milli has become paler in color, not sure why. My blue milli is unchanged in color and growing faster.

As for nutrient levels, I use a spectrophotometer from work to conduct my nitrate and phosphate tests. Nitrate and phosphate are pretty much undetectible now, although they were never very high. I don't put a lot of stock in test results. How the corals look, how much hair algae and cyano I have is more important to me.

I'm not trying to advocate algae scrubbers. I'm just trying to share what is working for me. I tried the zeo approach and the bio-pellet approach, with RowaPhos, and they did not work for me. Nutrient test results were low, but hair algae was rampant and SPS growth had ground to a halt. I have a lot of fish in my tank, probably too many, and they have grown a lot in the past three years. Loonie-sized fish three years ago are now 8-10" in size.

I tried this out of desperation and it is the only thing that has worked so far.

Proteus
01-20-2012, 04:36 PM
I think I have a design in mind. My question is. I run a gfo and carbon reactors. Does anyone see a issue with using there output for my water source. As it would eliminate the need for another pump. I thought of using my over flow but that would mean another light. I was planning on running this above my refuge and draining into.

lastlight
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm sure many are skeptical due to how 'santamonica' force-fed this to the web on 80 different forums and his subsequent banning on some of them. I'll admit I am still intrigued. I run gfo and could make it last longer with one of these in operation. I recently added chaeto to my sump but my instincts tell me this will grow algae faster. Unlike bio pellets there's no way this can be limited or messed up by running the gfo... it can only allow the media to last me longer.

I'm curious which algaes in general remove more nutrients by mass.

Any shots of the components apart?

tang daddy
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Well it's nice to see the results finally, I just started running rowaphos but am going to be building the same type of unit soon. Just gotta find a free weekend and may wait till it warms up abit to start this project. I will post pics of my mini scrubber on here aswell if you don't mind.

phi delt reefer
01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
chaeto and calupera are the best but calupera requires calcium as well so you may need to dose more.

i think chaeto would do almost as well as an ATS if you gave it as much light. Everyone puts a small ass bulb over the fuge so only the surface of the chaeto will get light. if you keep the chaeto moving in a tumble then all parts of the chaeto get light and it will be more effective. Throw four t5's over your fuge and get the chaeto tumbling and then you can compare an ATS with a chaeto fuge. Otherwise the ATS will always win (higher flow, more light, greater surface area)

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I think I have a design in mind. My question is. I run a gfo and carbon reactors. Does anyone see a issue with using there output for my water source. As it would eliminate the need for another pump. I thought of using my over flow but that would mean another light. I was planning on running this above my refuge and draining into.

As long as you have enough flow, you should be fine. Any excess nutrients will sustain algae growth.

pterfloth
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm sure many are skeptical due to how 'santamonica' force-fed this to the web on 80 different forums and his subsequent banning on some of them. I'll admit I am still intrigued. I run gfo and could make it last longer with one of these in operation. I recently added chaeto to my sump but my instincts tell me this will grow algae faster. Unlike bio pellets there's no way this can be limited or messed up by running the gfo... it can only allow the media to last me longer.

I'm curious which algaes in general remove more nutrients by mass.

Any shots of the components apart?

I remember the 'santamonica' banning etc as well. The reason I chose to go with the scrubber vs chaeto was the space I had available. I couldn't figure out how to incorporate a chaeto fuge.

I don't have any pictures of components apart. My acrylic box is 24" long, 12" high and 3" wide. I cut two 1" bulkhead drain holes in the bottom and a semi-circle groove in each end to support the supply tube. The lights are 4-24" dual T8 fixtures from Home Depot.

kole
01-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I have been running a scrubber for month now and it works really well. My phosphate and nitrate are at 0 consistently for the first time in 6 years. My fish and corals like the extra food they are getting as well.So easy to build and effective.

Money pit
01-21-2012, 03:00 AM
Ive run a scrubber since spring, or may be early summer. I have the top of my mesh up inside the slotted pipe and attached with fishing line. To clean it I just remove the pipe with the mesh still attached. We all know how fast GHA can grow, but its amazing how much you can grow in 2 weeks on one of these things. I also run carbon and rowa with no problems. I do get alot of particulate in my water. The waters clear , but always with little bits of stuff floating around. Ive been running skimmer less since I set this up, but lately Ive been thinking of adding a skimmer to remove this stuff. I know alot of it can be eaten by the corals , plus my euro reef bit the dust, so I would have to by a new pump, or a new skimmer. I'm kind of on the fence here, but I wouldn't mind seeing how both together would work.

reefwars
01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
ok well i went and got all the materials today to build a algae scrubber, once i start building i will start a thread for the build and then to monitor the results and we will see how fast we get results, right now my phos is controlled by gfo but my nitrates are around 40ppm .

im thinking that instead of zipties onto the main pipe that my water comes out i will use a smaller size pipe that the mesh will ziptie onto, ill just shut off the valve,remove the end cap and slide the pipe out,ill make abigger otch out of the smaller pipe so it doesnt restrict flow but it only has one output anyways so i dont see that being a problem.

ill run to home depot later and see what they have for lights but besides that i have it all.:)

reefme
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
What size tank you are building for?

ok well i went and got all the materials today to build a algae scrubber, once i start building i will start a thread for the build and then to monitor the results and we will see how fast we get results, right now my phos is controlled by gfo but my nitrates are around 40ppm .

im thinking that instead of zipties onto the main pipe that my water comes out i will use a smaller size pipe that the mesh will ziptie onto, ill just shut off the valve,remove the end cap and slide the pipe out,ill make abigger otch out of the smaller pipe so it doesnt restrict flow but it only has one output anyways so i dont see that being a problem.

ill run to home depot later and see what they have for lights but besides that i have it all.:)

reefwars
01-21-2012, 08:44 PM
What size tank you are building for?

90gtank and 75g sump as it stands i have a very large fuge packed with cheato,halimeda, mangroves,caulerpa(?) bad at spelling lol plus i run a large amount of gfo.i have no algae in my display but my nitrates are very high and they are around 40 down from off the chart when i got the tank.i feed pretty heavily but have a small bio load.

im not worried about phosphates as my gfo keeps them in check and the high nitrates is def helping my fuge as my cheato is now again basketball sized and i just gave out bags full to about 10 people over the last 2 weeks.im not interested in running pellets or carbon dosing for this tank.i run a skimmer 24/7 and have around 70lbs of liverock in my fuge.

since this is a reletively low cost build and idea im more interested in how fast it takes my nitrates down.

so far my cost is:

$30 for the maxi jet
$6 for 2 x 12" x 24" sheets of mesh
about $20 in pvc fittings and pipe
ill have to see how much the lights are gonna run when i get to home depot tomorrow:)

how much were the t8 lights you found at hd pterfloth????

i already have a timer and zip ties:)

ill be building it all tomorrow and it will be housed in my sump, my sump has a seperate box where my tank overflows so i will run the maxi jet in there so as i can get all the nutrients i can.

once i get it built ill start a thread showing its progress daily with pics and tests as well.:)

pterfloth
01-21-2012, 09:16 PM
90gtank and 75g sump as it stands i have a very large fuge packed with cheato,halimeda, mangroves,caulerpa(?) bad at spelling lol plus i run a large amount of gfo.i have no algae in my display but my nitrates are very high and they are around 40 down from off the chart when i got the tank.i feed pretty heavily but have a small bio load.

im not worried about phosphates as my gfo keeps them in check and the high nitrates is def helping my fuge as my cheato is now again basketball sized and i just gave out bags full to about 10 people over the last 2 weeks.im not interested in running pellets or carbon dosing for this tank.i run a skimmer 24/7 and have around 70lbs of liverock in my fuge.

since this is a reletively low cost build and idea im more interested in how fast it takes my nitrates down.

I think I paid $26 per fixture plus bulbs ~$6 each.

so far my cost is:

$30 for the maxi jet
$6 for 2 x 12" x 24" sheets of mesh
about $20 in pvc fittings and pipe
ill have to see how much the lights are gonna run when i get to home depot tomorrow:)

how much were the t8 lights you found at hd pterfloth????

i already have a timer and zip ties:)

ill be building it all tomorrow and it will be housed in my sump, my sump has a seperate box where my tank overflows so i will run the maxi jet in there so as i can get all the nutrients i can.

once i get it built ill start a thread showing its progress daily with pics and tests as well.:)

I think I paid $26 per fixture plus $5-6 per bulb. Make sure you rough up the screens!

reefwars
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I think I paid $26 per fixture plus $5-6 per bulb. Make sure you rough up the screens!

im gonna use a whole saw bit i have like in the link to rough them up i have some extra screens in case i screw them up same with pvc.

do you think my maxijet1200 will be enough or too much flow?? i have a ball valve on it incase i need to restrict it but i figure it was better then being plumbed into my overflow and at 30$ for the maxi jet its less headache then taking apart my plumbing . im gonna run the screen over my return section and the feed will be from my overflow output does anyone see any problems with that??

canreef mods should talk about adding a scrubber talk topic forumn??

reefwars
01-21-2012, 09:33 PM

and that was at home depot right?? thanks again man much appreciated:)

reefme
01-21-2012, 10:00 PM
here is my bucket.

reefwars
01-21-2012, 10:22 PM
here is my bucket.

do you find its working?? how are your parameters?? from what to what??:)

looks nice and green :mrgreen::mrgreen:

reefme
01-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Right now everything looks good. No GFO just carbon. It is LPS tank. Change 5 gallons every two weeks to bring chemistry up.

do you find its working?? how are your parameters?? from what to what??:)

looks nice and green :mrgreen::mrgreen:

pterfloth
01-21-2012, 11:49 PM
here is my bucket.

That looks like its working quite well.

pterfloth
01-21-2012, 11:53 PM
im gonna use a whole saw bit i have like in the link to rough them up i have some extra screens in case i screw them up same with pvc.

do you think my maxijet1200 will be enough or too much flow?? i have a ball valve on it incase i need to restrict it but i figure it was better then being plumbed into my overflow and at 30$ for the maxi jet its less headache then taking apart my plumbing . im gonna run the screen over my return section and the feed will be from my overflow output does anyone see any problems with that??

canreef mods should talk about adding a scrubber talk topic forumn??

The Maxijet 1200 should be good for 1 - 10x10" screen. The recommended flowrate is 35 gph per square inch of screen.

reefme
01-22-2012, 12:00 AM
I use mag drive 5. For my bucket type. Slot is about 3/16 to 1/4 wide.

kole
01-22-2012, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=reefwars;673870]

do you think my maxijet1200 will be enough or too much flow??

I am using a maxijet for my scrubber. It won't be too much flow. I will be upgrading mine to a mag 5 or a 7 with a ball valve. I have the scrubber running along with growing chaeto ,some red algae and about 30 mangroves. I
read the scrubber will out compete the other algae but I haven't seen that yet.

Make sure to cover your lights you can get some spray on the lights. I used transparency plastic sheets hung from the bottom of the display tank. Cheap,light weight,heat and water resistant.

reefme
01-22-2012, 12:31 AM
here is my bucket from a distance.

reefwars
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
[quote=reefwars;673870]

do you think my maxijet1200 will be enough or too much flow??

I am using a maxijet for my scrubber. It won't be too much flow. I will be upgrading mine to a mag 5 or a 7 with a ball valve. I have the scrubber running along with growing chaeto ,some red algae and about 30 mangroves. I
read the scrubber will out compete the other algae but I haven't seen that yet.

Make sure to cover your lights you can get some spray on the lights. I used transparency plastic sheets hung from the bottom of the display tank. Cheap,light weight,heat and water resistant.

haha thanks buddy thats just what i wanted to know lol sweet:)

reefwars
01-23-2012, 02:04 AM
built mine today took it for a test run to see if everything works well and dissassemble is easy for the mesh:) its pretty clean altough it took more room in my sump then i anticipated lol

Proteus
01-23-2012, 02:20 AM
built mine today took it for a test run to see if everything works well and dissassemble is easy for the mesh:) its pretty clean altough it took more room in my sump then i anticipated lol

Pics please

reefwars
01-23-2012, 02:22 AM
Pics please

soon enough just doin some finishing touches ;p

pterfloth
01-23-2012, 02:34 AM
soon enough just doin some finishing touches ;p

It would be great for you to give us updates on your nutrient readings, especially nitrates, if they are high. I never had much to start with so I relied more on what I saw in the tank than anything else. The first week normally shows mainly brown slime, so don't get discouraged. The second week shows some green and by the third week you should have good growth going.

reefwars
01-23-2012, 02:43 AM
It would be great for you to give us updates on your nutrient readings, especially nitrates, if they are high. I never had much to start with so I relied more on what I saw in the tank than anything else. The first week normally shows mainly brown slime, so don't get discouraged. The second week shows some green and by the third week you should have good growth going.

i will for sure, my nitrates were around 40 when i checked them last and last water change and i doubt their any lower now so there def high. i need to figure out how im gonna get lighting in there for both sides its all a nice tight fit, but now that its built ill arrange my skimmer and reactor around abit for some more room, the home depot i was today had diddly for lighting lol :p

reefwars
01-23-2012, 03:50 AM
heres some pics:p

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/018-1.jpg?t=1327293744

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/015-3.jpg?t=1327293822

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/013-3.jpg?t=1327293872

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/006-3.jpg?t=1327294035

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/024-2.jpg?t=1327294209

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/016-2.jpg?t=1327294431

Proteus
01-23-2012, 04:57 AM
That's what I was planning. Similar set up but I'm not sure if I have roome in sump as its deep and full. I may have to do a container style back to the drawing bored

Thanks for te pics

Money pit
01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
You might find it a good idea to stop the GFO until the niyrates come down. Just thinking it could become a limiting factor.

reefwars
01-24-2012, 03:00 AM
You might find it a good idea to stop the GFO until the niyrates come down. Just thinking it could become a limiting factor.

im going to leave the gfo for now i mean after a couple weeks if im not getting any results then i have the option to haul the gfo and see if its the cause but right now im just curious if it will show me results for nitrate(which i have no doubt it wont) if they are dropping as the mesh ages then ill feel a bit better about pulling the gfo.

so i tested tonight and my nitrates are around 40ppm (high) besides the scrubber im only running a fuge for nitrates its a good size fuge so we will see if the ats is more aggressive than my fuge.my nitrates have been from off the chart from the move(was expected as i kept everything the way it was and did a fast move)that was about three mths ago i got them down to 40ppm pretty quick and thats where we sit at most times.

ALang
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Denny, that light fixture...you got that at HD??
Nice fisherman's knot, btw.

Proteus
01-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I went to hydro light on fort road just north of red coral. They have lots of lights in the proper spectrums for plant growth. I picked up some 24 inch t5 HO from there

jagermaier
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
What if I were to run the screens down the inside walls of my display tank overflow. It gets plenty of light from my main light and seems like I have some growing in there already anyways. Would that be a good idea or not?

reefwars
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Denny, that light fixture...you got that at HD??
Nice fisherman's knot, btw.

no this was a light i had here, ive decided with the small amount of room i have ill be using 2 (clamp lights??) that ways i can clamp it onto my sump and curve it over the clutter lol

day 1 and there is some small blotches of brown algae.....was expecting a perfectly clear screen by the time i got home today as i only started it last night lol at this rate ill have algae in no time:p

Delphinus
01-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Heh, awesome. I like how you've done that. Are you basically pumping up the pipe and back down again and letting it spill into the T where the mesh is hung?

pterfloth
01-25-2012, 02:37 AM
I recommend that the lights get some kind of protection against splashing water. As the algae growth builds up rivulets of water get diverted off the mesh and could splash on the lights causing a serious hazard. I have my mesh in an acrylic box to contain this. Hanging clear plastic between the mesh and the light would work as well.

I'm very happy with my results and I'm looking forward to other's success as well, but I don't want anyone to have a fire, blow a breaker, etc.

reefwars
01-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Heh, awesome. I like how you've done that. Are you basically pumping up the pipe and back down again and letting it spill into the T where the mesh is hung?

the mesh gets all the flow from the maxijet the "t" just goes back down for support, i could have done a 90 there but then i would have to support it up somehow, the other end is capped off. i kinda had to do it like this as im limited for room and my sump sits flush with the outside of my stand so with the skirting slid on it would stick out.right before my bubble trap is where the mesh sits.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/015-3.jpg?t=1327293822

reefwars
01-25-2012, 04:01 AM
I recommend that the lights get some kind of protection against splashing water. As the algae growth builds up rivulets of water get diverted off the mesh and could splash on the lights causing a serious hazard. I have my mesh in an acrylic box to contain this. Hanging clear plastic between the mesh and the light would work as well.

I'm very happy with my results and I'm looking forward to other's success as well, but I don't want anyone to have a fire, blow a breaker, etc.

thats a good idea actually,im gonna rig up some sort of barrior between them:)

ALang
01-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Nice work, Denny.
I'm wondering if the little single LED desk lamp will have enough light/spectrum for algae growth.

I have one here from IKEA. It has a bendable stem/neck to swivel to wherever you want, and it is not bulky. If it can grow algae, then it may bear looking into, if people have issues with space for two bulky lamp fixtures.

I am hoping to see some great results from all of you.
So that I can hop on board as well.

Edmonton newbie
01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
denny on mine i got some thin walled pipe one size bigger with a slit in them to hang the screen that way i dont need to cut zip ties every time i clean the screen

hillegom
01-26-2012, 01:22 AM
denny on mine i got some thin walled pipe one size bigger with a slit in them to hang the screen that way i dont need to cut zip ties every time i clean the screen

Could you please take a pic of that? I can't seem to get my head around how the thin wall pipe carries the screen which is inside the thick walled pipe.
I want to do this setup in the future and would prefer not to cut zip ties either.
Thank you

rhody605
01-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Hillegom.

I used 3/4 PVC pipe and made rings about 3/8 long of 1" PVC and then Cut about 1/4" of the side wall to form the c shape. Slide the 1" pvc over the 3/4" and done. Simply rotate ring and remove screen.

Hope that helps.

Proteus
01-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Hillegom.

I used 3/4 PVC pipe and made rings about 3/8 long of 1" PVC and then Cut about 1/4" of the side wall to form the c shape. Slide the 1" pvc over the 3/4" and done. Simply rotate ring and remove screen.

Hope that helps.

Nice that's a great idea

hillegom
01-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Yes, helps a lot. clear now
Thanks

reefwars
01-29-2012, 04:58 AM
so i took this pic yesterday this would have been day 3

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/90gallon%20reef/050.jpg?t=1327817128

reefwars
01-29-2012, 05:00 AM
brown algae is now covering up the mesh i imagine in a few days ill be ready to clean it a bit and it should grow back even faster:)

Edmonton newbie
01-29-2012, 05:38 AM
once a week denny thats it as long as you have 1 square inch per gal double sided

pterfloth
01-29-2012, 06:08 AM
brown algae is now covering up the mesh i imagine in a few days ill be ready to clean it a bit and it should grow back even faster:)

The brown algae is the normal start. Looks like you are on your way! I didn't have any green until the end of my second week.

pirate
01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
What if I were to run the screens down the inside walls of my display tank overflow. It gets plenty of light from my main light and seems like I have some growing in there already anyways. Would that be a good idea or not?

I was thinking the same thing. So has anybody tried it this way yet? Or will I be the first?

reefwars
01-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I was thinking the same thing. So has anybody tried it this way yet? Or will I be the first?

algae will grow if theres nutrients and light, the idea is to get as much growth as possible. in the link above its recommended to keep the lights 4" away and 20hrs on and 4 hrs off. i have my refugium light only 12" away but i didnt think it would be strong enough to get the full effect so i now have 2 lights on the ats alone both 4" from the surface.

lastlight
01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
18hrs on and 4 hrs off

That's a total of 22 hrs just a really friendly heads up =)

*cough*mvp*cough*

reefwars
01-29-2012, 06:25 PM

*cough*mvp*cough*

thanks brett aka MVP

sorry yes 20 and 4 lol :ppp

reefwars
01-29-2012, 06:26 PM

*cough*mvp*cough*
sorry what i meant to say is that for 2 hrs a day it just completely dissapears into thin air :p

Proteus
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Why nOt just run 24 hrs. Your not saving anything buy 4 hours darkness

reefwars
01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Why nOt just run 24 hrs. Your not saving anything buy 4 hours darkness

this should have all the answers to frequently asked questions.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AlgScrubUpdateBry.htm

Proteus
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Ya k I read about the lighting but the answer does not really support anything

It says that the algea needs rest and will burn on 24. Hr light. Also stated that it filters at night.

I'm no expert but a master gardener coarse and 10 years with horticulture as a hobby. Would lead me to Question there answer

Any plant in a vegitive state does not show any degregation from 24 hour light. Along with increased growth come taking more nutrients out of the water.

Unless it changes water chemistry

reefwars
01-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Ya k I read about the lighting but the answer does not really support anything

It says that the algea needs rest and will burn on 24. Hr light. Also stated that it filters at night.

I'm no expert but a master gardener coarse and 10 years with horticulture as a hobby. Would lead me to Question there answer

Any plant in a vegitive state does not show any degregation from 24 hour light. Along with increased growth come taking more nutrients out of the water.

Unless it changes water chemistry

by all means run them 24hrs if thats what floats your boat lol :pp

reefwars
01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
for me it was easy as everything i have runs off timers and i dont mind leaving them off for 4 hrs will it make a big difference maybe not im just sticking with what works:)

Proteus
01-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Well I got mine built. I'll put it to use in a day or two
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/titus991/0611fbc4.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/titus991/c6ac10d7.jpg

reefwars
02-06-2012, 01:55 AM
some nastier pics:P

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/90gallon%20reef/040-1.jpg?t=1328496675

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/90gallon%20reef/045.jpg?t=1328497186

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/90gallon%20reef/050-1.jpg?t=1328497286

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/90gallon%20reef/051.jpg?t=1328497319

Proteus
02-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Is it slime or starting to get HA

reefwars
02-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Is it slime or starting to get HA

its a little bit of both, tonight is the second time ive washed it, the first time didnt have a whole lot on it but was tinted pretty brown , this one has a more thicker and blacker layer, nitrates were roughly the same last week ill test tomorrow after work and see if theres any change:)

mseepman
02-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Thanks for documenting your success to date...always glad to have more options for nutrient export.

emerald crab
02-06-2012, 03:57 AM
Are you still running your skimmer?

reefwars
02-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Are you still running your skimmer?

yes ive changed nothing in my tank just added the scrubber, i also run gfo and a fuge loaded with different types of macro, and currently have high nitrates:P

pterfloth
03-13-2012, 02:39 AM
So how is everyone making out with their scrubbers? I am just as pleased as can be with mine. My SPS growth is outstanding and almost every trace of the hair algae I battled for 18 months is gone. I am stunned and extremely pleased by what a huge difference it has made for me. Great coral growth and color. My glass stays cleaner longer. No dosing. I love it!

How are you making out?

reefwars
03-21-2012, 02:36 AM
So how is everyone making out with their scrubbers? I am just as pleased as can be with mine. My SPS growth is outstanding and almost every trace of the hair algae I battled for 18 months is gone. I am stunned and extremely pleased by what a huge difference it has made for me. Great coral growth and color. My glass stays cleaner longer. No dosing. I love it!

How are you making out?

mines doing great its starting to get some hair algae weekly not as strong as yours but still has a nasty look to it.im changing mine out every sunday i like how low maintanance it is just a quick wash and cliped back on costs nothing:)

effects on my tank??

my nitrates currently sit around 20 down from 60 and my tank is starting to look great , my macro algae still grows in fact my cheato is growing to the point where im harvesting a chunk every week, my mangrove has taken right off in growth. ive uped the feedings in my tank to accomodate some new additions but still my nitrates are staying low and getting lower as the hair algae grows. took a while to get green hair algae as i have such high nutrients i was getting nasty tar for the first bit.

so far im loving mine:)

reefwars
03-21-2012, 02:38 AM
i can only imagine what this is doing to the pod poulation they must love it :P

emerald crab
03-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Mine is still in the construction stages, but almost done.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=709&pictureid=5326

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=709&pictureid=5327

STANKYfish
03-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Mine is still in the construction stages, but almost done.

Nice job. What are you running for light in there?

emerald crab
03-21-2012, 06:52 AM
2x10w 660 nm LED

mess7777
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Looking great guys. I am going to get mine going shortly too. I am hoping to finally win the nitrate battle.

Proteus
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Took mine down as I never had any issues with nitrates and my phosphates was a leaching issue. But I now have no po4 or nitrates. I thought if I do have nitrates the 7 clams I have will take care of them.

Jaws
03-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Is there anything documented about these things being built on a large scale for large aquariums like over 300G that would completely replace a refugium?

pterfloth
03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Is there anything documented about these things being built on a large scale for large aquariums like over 300G that would completely replace a refugium?

Check www.algaescrubbers.net or reefcentral. Some people claim that you don't need a skimmer with these but I am still running mine.