PDA

View Full Version : Do anemone's kill shrimp ?

Acipenser
01-20-2012, 12:28 AM
I am wondering because 2 days ago I got an anemone (green bubble tip), my cleaner shrimp that I have had for 3 months is sitting dead in the bottom of my tank. this is the first thing that has died other than what the hermit crabs have killed . I did a water change last night about 20%, the same thing I do every week, I use prime in my water and then let it sit in a cooler with a power head circulating for a about 6 hours while every thing mixes.

reefwars
01-20-2012, 01:02 AM
i wouldnt put it past them but if it helps my cleaner shrimp walk around on my huge carpet aneone like its nothing the carpet doesnt even flinch:)anemones also host a few different types of shrimp:)

btymens
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I have 2 BTA and they have never paid any attention to my shrimp. Have you check your ammonia levels?

FitoPharmer
01-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Are you sure it is really dead? I have been worried about many inverts dieing, later to find out I was worrying about a molt. What makes things worse is the suspect critters will often hide for a few days until their molt hardens up. If you pull out the corpse and the shrimp really is dead check your water parameters like the others have already suggested. I have had read many stories about loosing fish, and sometimes snails to an anemone, but never any cleaner shrimp.

Chaloupa
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
My carpet has eaten a few Peppermint Shrimps....but not my bubble tip.

mohammadali
01-21-2012, 08:10 AM
it might their skin .
cuz when i change water my fire shrimp change skin and i have all of the skin in a bottle :)

paddyob
01-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Are you sure it is really dead? I have been worried about many inverts dieing, later to find out I was worrying about a molt. What makes things worse is the suspect critters will often hide for a few days until their molt hardens up. If you pull out the corpse and the shrimp really is dead check your water parameters like the others have already suggested. I have had read many stories about loosing fish, and sometimes snails to an anemone, but never any cleaner shrimp.

Agree.

But, shrimp do die. Just like anything else.

Sometimes it's the circle of life that's takes them.

Good luck

daniella3d
01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
yep...they are not immortal, and if the level of iodine is low they can die if they cannot molt.

I really doubt it's the anemone. I once saw one of my fire shrimp fell in my rock flower anemone as it was near dead and the anemone gobbled it up and spitted it back right away, full of mucus.

The shrimp was on its last leg, very old and it was not eating for a long time.

Agree.

But, shrimp do die. Just like anything else.

Sometimes it's the circle of life that's takes them.

Good luck