PDA

View Full Version : water pump for electric motor?

WindowMaker
01-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey all,

As I set up my basement sump I have some pretty high demands for a pump. Based on where the sump fits and where the tank is, there will be a significant amount of head pressure. I have seen the use of large electric motors powering water pump attachments in industrial applications. I just so happen to have a 115v 3hp electric motor in the basement from an old compressor that I tore down for parts. Does anyone know where I could look for a water pump that requires an external motor? Im havent decided that this is definitely the route I will go, but I would like to know what my options are for the pump part at least.

Thanks for any help!

mike31154
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
3 HP converts to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2100 watts. That's way overkill for pumping water from a basement sump. While it's not a bad idea to try & use what you have, in this case you may be farther ahead looking for something more commonly used in our hobby. Iwaki, Panworld, Poseidon, Reeflo, the list goes on. There are many options, some of which are designed to handle fairly high head pressures efficiently.

blacknife
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I do not know, just curious how much power that motor draws? Might be pricy in the long run but it could probably do some substancial flow

sphelps
01-19-2012, 03:40 PM
You wouldn't want to run a 3HP motor 24-7, there are plenty pumps available that will pump up one or even two stories. ReeFlo Hammerhead can pump up to 24' of head pressure for example and only uses around 350W (1/2HP). It also only costs around $400 so not overly expensive either.

sphelps
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I do not know, just curious how much power that motor draws? Might be pricy in the long run but it could probably do some substancial flow

about 2200 watts, depending what you pay for power it's close to $2000 per year to run 24-7

WindowMaker
01-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Hydro cost doesn't concern me, but by this concept I am looking at 40ish feet of head pressure. Like I said, I simply want to see what the pump heads cost, or even what they are called. From there I can continue my decision making.

jostafew
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
about 2200 watts, depending what you pay for power it's close to $2000 per year to run 24-7

That's with the motor producing 3HP for that entire time, which it wouldn't be. I agree, it probably makes more sense to buy a purpose built water pump assembly with a smaller motor but aside from a few internal inneficiencies a motor will only pull the power necessary to run the load. When a motor is rated for 3hp that means it can safely sustain a workload of 3hp without overheating or being physically damaged, not necessarily how much power it will draw.

blacknife
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Dam youguys are fast. that 2100 watts would be 100 percent efficiency, how many old compressormotors run at that. I allready had an idea what it would draw I do work with electricity for a living. You would also need a dedicated circuit with appropriate gaugewire. Enough from me i feel to cold to make sence.

outacontrol
01-19-2012, 05:07 PM
That's with the motor producing 3HP for that entire time, which it wouldn't be. I agree, it probably makes more sense to buy a purpose built water pump assembly with a smaller motor but aside from a few internal inneficiencies a motor will only pull the power necessary to run the load. When a motor is rated for 3hp that means it can safely sustain a workload of 3hp without overheating or being physically damaged, not necessarily how much power it will draw.

Actually the 2200 watts is being very conservative and assuming that it is not delivering peak power. Peak consumption of a 3 hp single phase motor would be closer to 4080 volt-amps, or a draw of close to 17 amps at a voltage of 240 volts.

Way more money in electricity than most people including myself would be willing to pay.

sphelps
01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah 2200 is conservative, the hammerhead for example uses a 1/3HP motor but realistically runs closer to 1/2HP.

Even if power wasn't a concern finding a pump head approved for aquarium use, especially saltwater, will be extremely difficult and the cost involved will be far beyond what you would pay for a pump that was actually made for the job and uses a fraction of the power.

Reeflo also has a high pressure pump (tigershark):
http://www.marinedepot.com/ReeFlo_High_Pressure_Pump_2000_Gallons_Per_Hour_Hi gher_External_Water_Pumps-Reeflo-MM1350-FIWPEPOH-vi.html
Pumps up to 84' using a max of 1065W.

You may also be able to find a panworld pump that can go up that high but your options are limited when it comes to pumping over 25'.

WindowMaker
01-20-2012, 03:43 AM
I have been looking at purpose built pumps, just figured I would weigh out my options. The reeflo has a pretty steep slope after 50'. Im thinking it will make more sense to just make a man closet in the other end of the basement. It will be much less hassle than running 40' of lateral pipe on top of the vertical parts too.

outacontrol
01-20-2012, 04:01 AM
Hydro cost doesn't concern me, but by this concept I am looking at 40ish feet of head pressure. Like I said, I simply want to see what the pump heads cost, or even what they are called. From there I can continue my decision making.

You might want to try this calculator on reefcentral, I really doubt that you have anywhere close to "40ish feet of head pressure". http://reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

A horizontal foot of run counts for very little in the terms of loss and head pressure.