PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves in Sump

Blue Ram
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I have six mangroves in my sump that are doing very well. They are approximately 15" tall. Is it normal for the lower leaves to drop off when new leaves come out? Is there anything one can do if they start to get too tall? My sump is under my tank in a lit cabinet so height is an issue.

Proteus
01-19-2012, 02:58 PM
When the lower leaves fall off make sure that you remove them from water as they decompose they release all the nasty **** they were intended to absorb

Sumfingwong
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
What about when the mangroves look like a limp noodle? or should I throw it out? :mrgreen:

H22_TURBO
01-19-2012, 03:40 PM
^^^
mods will not approve, they just went through this:nono:

Aquattro
01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
^^^
mods will not approve, they just went through this:nono:

We're not going to worry about it too much, as long as it doesn't become the topic of the thread...:)

Geofrog
01-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Where does one get mangroves in Calgary? I would like to add some to my setup.

Sumfingwong
01-19-2012, 04:21 PM
sorry guys.. i was being serious.. one of them went limp on me.

Proteus
01-19-2012, 04:23 PM
What about when the mangroves look like a limp noodle? should I throw it out? :mrgreen:

potassium silicate. Will strengthen limbs and fibers of the plant but not sure what it will Do to tank. Best to toss them and get new ones

Sumfingwong
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
potassium silicate. Will strengthen limbs and fibers of the plant but not sure what it will Do to tank. Best to toss them and get new ones

Thanks Titus!

Blue Ram
01-21-2012, 03:56 PM
So out of 8 replies - 1 was a direct reply to my query!

Proteus
01-21-2012, 04:16 PM
It's common for Lower leaves to drop for a number of reasons.
Light strength Is a big one. But I wouldn't wory unless you see defects in new growth

sphelps
01-21-2012, 04:21 PM
With mangroves I was informed the idea is limit the leaves to just a few to promote better nutrient removal by the root system. So I've always pruned older leaves as new ones come in. Perhaps yours are doing this more naturally, getting what they need from the water more than the light.

Proteus
01-21-2012, 04:48 PM
With mangroves I was informed the idea is limit the leaves to just a few to promote better nutrient removal by the root system. So I've always pruned older leaves as new ones come in. Perhaps yours are doing this more naturally, getting what they need from the water more than the light.

Plants are not going to process the nutrients without leaves. Removing leaves that are not more than 50% damaged will not help the roots. What you can do is trim roots ( just the tips). This will encourage root growth as "auxins" are redirected to stimulate growth. Plants send the nutrients up to the leaves where gas exchange is done through "stoma". So removing leaves limits this process

sphelps
01-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Plants are not going to process the nutrients without leaves. Removing leaves that are not more than 50% damaged will not help the roots. What you can do is trim roots ( just the tips). This will encourage root growth as "auxins" are redirected to stimulate growth. Plants send the nutrients up to the leaves where gas exchange is done through "stoma". So removing leaves limits this process

Not meaning to suggest removing all leaves just older ones as new ones develop. The other thing with mangrove leaves is they require regular cleaning with fresh water.

Proteus
01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Not meaning to suggest removing all leaves just older ones as new ones develop. The other thing with mangrove leaves is they require regular cleaning with fresh water.

+1. On rinsing them off. This is because the stoma get plugged. I pull mine out and give them a Good bath. You don't Need to see the creep for them to be plugged

Blue Ram
01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I have been spraying them down with fresh water occasionally. The leaves are in very good shape. So I guess when they get too tall, I will have to remove them from the sump - bummer

Proteus
01-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Not at all. What you can do is train the plant.

Find a section of the plant that's not overly woody. Between your finger and thumb roll and squeeze plant. Make it pliable without breaking outer tissue. As you do this the plant becomes bendable. Once you archive a 90 secure it with string or what not. The tips will start growing upward again