PDA

View Full Version : maroon clown breeding

tyke1962
01-18-2012, 06:06 AM
have seen what I think are eggs near my maroon clowns anybody have experiance breeding them sucessfully will try to upload photo tomorrow

martinmcnally
01-18-2012, 06:32 AM
have seen what I think are eggs near my maroon clowns anybody have experiance breeding them sucessfully will try to upload photo tomorrow

Hey I would be willing to give it a go. I have a small nano tank that I think would be a good starter. Would need to start raising some Rotifers for them.

http://www.breedclownfish.com/

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 06:38 AM
From what I've heard from a local clownfish breeder and also seen at J&L when they got in a huge ORA captive bred Maroon clown shipment, one major drawback of breeding this species is that as they get older, the maroons will attack each other and shred each others fins. There is no familial love here and sibling rivalry is rampant. If only a couple babies survive, then no problem. If you become very adept and successful at raising the young, be prepared for this sort of nasty behaviour. Maroons are my favourite clowns in terms of looks, but every one I've ever owned turned out to be an @sshole fish in the end. Biting the hand that feeds them, pulling corals out of their holes and tossing them (not kidding), etc.

tyke1962
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys will do some more research and see what happens

mike31154
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Although somewhat dated, Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes is a good resource if you plan to breed any type of clownfish.

DanG
01-18-2012, 05:18 PM
From what I've heard from a local clownfish breeder and also seen at J&L when they got in a huge ORA captive bred Maroon clown shipment, one major drawback of breeding this species is that as they get older, the maroons will attack each other and shred each others fins. There is no familial love here and sibling rivalry is rampant. If only a couple babies survive, then no problem. If you become very adept and successful at raising the young, be prepared for this sort of nasty behaviour. Maroons are my favourite clowns in terms of looks, but every one I've ever owned turned out to be an @sshole fish in the end. Biting the hand that feeds them, pulling corals out of their holes and tossing them (not kidding), etc.

Mine is the reason I wear shoulder length rubber gloves when working in my tank. Mine will also move anything that he deems inappropriate. Great colour and isn't a "nemo", but is a realy bitch.

Ryan
01-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Pick up "Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson" its the clownfish bible. There is a whole section on breeding maroons. Even how to pair them.