PDA

View Full Version : Maxima clam compatibility

Brandon5555
01-18-2012, 03:11 AM
So I'm picking up a maxima clam and I just wanna know if I'm going
To run into any issues with other inverts. Can anybody list some inverts on the black list of
Clams?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.174116,-114.046271

doch
01-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but you should be OK with any inverts that you may purchase... it's pyramid snails that will kill clams... but you won't buy them, they may come in on some of your rock or a piece of coral or clam. It's good to have wrasses in the tank... they are great for clam protection... Melanarus, and maybe Mystery wrasses are good. There may also be a starfish or 2 that might go after clams. Also, some fish... but the reef safe stuff will be fine. Angels, puffers triggers... beware.

Brandon5555
01-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Are black brittles okay?

fishytime
01-18-2012, 03:48 AM
some of the biggest things with clams are .....a system that is mature enough to handle a critter as sensitive as a clam......I personally wouldnt try one if your tank is less than say six monthes old....the bigger the better when it comes to clams, the small ones have a poor survival rate.....maximas and croceas are more sensitive than derasas and squamosas and seem to prefer being on the rock.....no tridacnid can fall or spend any time upside down so if you place them in your rockwork, make sure they are secure...and keep in mind that they can and will move on their own if they arent happy with light or flow..... do not glue or epoxy them......if your clam roots in, never tear it free, the foot will need to be cut if you want/need to move it ....watch your LFS dud carefully to make sure he/she doesnt tear it when they bag it up

Proteus
01-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Brittle stars are fine. Sand sifters,fromia,linkia are fine
Ones like chocolate chip not so much

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Also, try to have them bag it in the water and when you add it into your tank, spin it around a couple of times in your hands underwater so that any trapped air bubbles will be burped out and not trapped inside the clam.

Transferring clams is about the only time any LFS water may get into my system because I try to keep the clam underwater throughout the whole process, which includes opening up the bag inside the water. If you're careful, you can still minimize how much LFS water you end up losing into your display.

Having a clam exposed to the air (IMO) is a far worse risk.

Also, stay far, far away from Flameback angels. I had an African Flameback that was supposed to be one of the more reef-safe angels (along with their cousins the Cherubs), but mine decimated my giant clam collection in just a few days and before I could arrange to rehome the clams or catch out the offender. Since then, I've read other people's similar experiences with the Flameback as being far less reef-safe than previously thought. My Cherub, on the other hand, has been a perfect reef resident and now lives with two Squamosas.