PDA

View Full Version : I must be crazy !

Acipenser
01-18-2012, 12:53 AM
My wife asked me to shut down my tank - because she was mad at me for spending money on something else, so I agreed, I was in the process of getting ready to part it out and 1/2 an hour ago I purchased a GBTA ! I guess that means I am not shutting it down after all . I think if push comes to shove Ill keep my tank and find a new wife .

On that note how long before the GBTA perks up, a couple of heads have popped up . the others are still lying down and " deflated"

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 01:25 AM
I was wondering about that when I saw you pm about GBTA. Welcome back???

reefwars
01-18-2012, 01:31 AM
turns out the misses wasnt reefsafe!!!!

^^^^^^^

chris121277
01-18-2012, 01:53 AM
turns out the misses wasnt reefsafe!!!!

^^^^^^^

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gif

naesco
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
My wife asked me to shut down my tank - because she was mad at me for spending money on something else, so I agreed, I was in the process of getting ready to part it out and 1/2 an hour ago I purchased a GBTA ! I guess that means I am not shutting it down after all . I think if push comes to shove Ill keep my tank and find a new wife .

On that note how long before the GBTA perks up, a couple of heads have popped up . the others are still lying down and " deflated"

GIBTA,..GEBTA??? Haven't you misspelled her name? Missing a consonant?

NU-2reef
01-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Lmao. Good man!

Gripenfelter
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
My wife got me into saltwater because I was spending too much money on making my Camaro faster. Now she wants me to get back into cars. :p

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Going back into salt was also my wife's idea. She still has no clue how much $$ her "great idea" has cost me:microwav::silly::Cry:

On the other hand, keeps me out of trouble (usually).

reefwars
01-18-2012, 06:28 PM
my ex said she wanted the house...i said fine...i get the tank!!! hehehe:)

Reef-Geek
01-18-2012, 11:00 PM
my ex said she wanted the house...i said fine...i get the tank!!! hehehe:)

can I get the live stocks please?:razz::razz::razz:

Reef-Geek
01-18-2012, 11:06 PM

well,Happy Wife,Happy Life. I think you have pushed a little too hard, unless you tell your wife you got the GBTA for free....

Acipenser
01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
well,Happy Wife,Happy Life. I think you have pushed a little too hard, unless you tell your wife you got the GBTA for free....
I told her I traded it for some equipment , but it ****es me off because in reality I probably only have about $1100 into this tank, and it's not like we cant afford to have this tank **** she want's to travel here and there at $3000 a year and I never bitch about that.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/KevinKaleighCindy/IMG_0011.jpg

MarkoD
01-19-2012, 12:34 AM
isnt marriage suppose to be "whats mine is yours, whats yours is mine"?

how can you people be spending money behind your spouses back and then lying about how much something cost?

i thought marriage was about full disclosure

Reefgeek
01-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Nah... If I dont ask how much the new addition was, he wont ask how much my new coach purse was :)

MarkoD
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Nah... If I dont ask how much the new addition was, he wont ask how much my new coach purse was :)

so you keep your money separate from your significant other? and you dont ever see each others bank accounts?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-19-2012, 01:13 AM
so you keep your money separate from your significant other? and you dont ever see each others bank accounts?

Yes. I pay almost all the bills for the house and she knows I don't buy anything unless its a good deal so she's not worried about the amount of $$ I spend on this addiction. :wink:

Reefgeek
01-19-2012, 01:19 AM
I see his money, I just dont care, he works hard so he can spend on whatever he wants. And I work to keep myself entertained, so as long as bills are paid my money is just spent on usless junk. I hate nit picking money.

apexifd
01-19-2012, 01:19 AM
crazy?? I think I am.. I just counted about of fish in my 75 sps reef tank.

easily 21!!!

3 tang
2 clowns
8 different wrasse
3 cardinal
1 blenny
1 purple firefish
1 zebra firefish
2 blue gudgeon

and those are the fish I can see on daily bases. Quite sure there are a few fish hiding somewhere.

MarkoD
01-19-2012, 01:29 AM
crazy?? I think I am.. I just counted about of fish in my 75 sps reef tank.

easily 21!!!

3 tang
2 clowns
8 different wrasse
3 cardinal
1 blenny
1 purple firefish
1 zebra firefish
2 blue gudgeon

and those are the fish I can see on daily bases. Quite sure there are a few fish hiding somewhere.

3 tangs in a 75 gallon? holy smokes

apexifd
01-19-2012, 01:51 AM
3 tangs in a 75 gallon? holy smokes

I have them over an year. They are all ick free, including the powder brown.

AquaticFinatic
01-19-2012, 01:53 AM
isnt marriage suppose to be "whats mine is yours, whats yours is mine"?

how can you people be spending money behind your spouses back and then lying about how much something cost?

i thought marriage was about full disclosure

Are you not married marko? If mine found out I spent $4000 on a light she would tell me that's it. So that's why a lot of us have to bend the truth a little or else we wouldn't be in this hobby. the money came from some where else before you start accusing me of stealing from her etc so it was my money! I know it's not right but I love this hobby to much :mrgreen:

waynemah
01-19-2012, 03:34 AM
I found splitting money releives alot of fights. Budget yourself some spending money, split it evenly. No one can complain either way. Teamwork is a wonderful thing in a marrage.

Parker
01-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Our budget includes an allowance portion, it's spent on whatever we choose. My wife spends hers hanging out with her friends mostly and I hoard mine for new equipment! lol

Reefgeek
01-19-2012, 03:50 AM
I found splitting money releives alot of fights. Budget yourself some spending money, split it evenly. No one can complain either way. Teamwork is a wonderful thing in a marrage.

I agree!

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

lockrookie
01-19-2012, 03:59 AM

+1 my wife has hr hobbies i have mine i try to be budget minded to be cheap in what i purchase as to keep it even knowing my hobbies are way more expensive than hers. before i spend i have to make sure i have enough forour girls too. most important.

Our budget includes an allowance portion, it's spent on whatever we choose. My wife spends hers hanging out with her friends mostly and I hoard mine for new equipment! lol

i have no in local friends just ppl i talk to online lol i have no life. in reality i told them allto bugger off. got tired of being used as cheap labour. with no help in return.. so i save alot that way lol.

all inall i cant complain my wife is amazing i wanted to cut up my 180 and turn it to a 120 that woud fit my exiting stand it was my wifes idea to do the 180.. last and final upgrade for this house. she did this knowing its going to cost more.. love my wife and to think we met online. saw each other 4 times in 4years 4th time was our wedding day. we got married to date lol

fishoholic
01-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Are you not married marko? If mine found out I spent $4000 on a light she would tell me that's it. So that's why a lot of us have to bend the truth a little or else we wouldn't be in this hobby. the money came from some where else before you start accusing me of stealing from her etc so it was my money! I know it's not right but I love this hobby to much :mrgreen:

I saw him at red coral before, he looks kinda young so I doubt he's married but I could be wrong.

Can't hide anything here Doug knows what everything costs and can easily spot anything new.

MarkoD
01-19-2012, 04:17 AM
lol no im not married. im in my early 20s

Parker
01-19-2012, 04:54 AM
i have to make sure i have enough forour girls too. most important.

Save enough for the energy drinks / coffee for when the teething starts!!!

lockrookie
01-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Save enough for the energy drinks / coffee for when the teething starts!!!
dude teething has already started drool and rosy cheeks thus hy im up so late these days

Foxface
01-19-2012, 05:04 AM
I thought it was "whats mine is yours and whats yours is yours"!!!

Coleus
01-19-2012, 06:03 AM
quit complaining ppl lol. For me, i will spend whatever i feel like because I am paying for everything and my wife does not work (but she have to take care of my two little ones). So she knows I will have to make sure I earn enough money to cover this addictive hobby funds and plus i am not that big spender so we are SAFE :-)

On another note, sometimes I really wonder if this is a hobby. Because i assume hobby is what you do in your free time. Getting into saltwater is not a hobby because you have to take care of it everyday, not in your free time. It requires your attention as much as having a dog.

waynemah
01-19-2012, 06:36 AM
On another note, sometimes I really wonder if this is a hobby. Because i assume hobby is what you do in your free time. Getting into saltwater is not a hobby because you have to take care of it everyday, not in your free time. It requires your attention as much as having a dog.

You could run a FOWLR with an automatic fish feeder, this would limit the amount of work you need to put into it. But most of us strive for perfection, which to me defines a hobby :razz:

Coleus
01-19-2012, 06:49 AM
You could run a FOWLR with an automatic fish feeder, this would limit the amount of work you need to put into it. But most of us strive for perfection, which to me defines a hobby :razz:

Even with FOWLR, you just can't take care of it on leisure time. Your fish is sick, tank is leaking oh crap, pump failed, etc...

The Grizz
01-19-2012, 06:56 AM
quit complaining ppl lol. For me, i will spend whatever i feel like because I am paying for everything and my wife does not work (but she have to take care of my two little ones). So she knows I will have to make sure I earn enough money to cover this addictive hobby funds and plus i am not that big spender so we are SAFE :-)

Even with FOWLR, you just can't take care of it on leisure time. Your fish is sick, tank is leaking oh crap, pump failed, etc...

Totally with you here Tai........

waynemah
01-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Everything we do takes up spare time and everything eventually runs into issues. But to complain about it is kinda funny... I'm not very active on these forums, but If I spent as much time working on my tank as I do trolling these forums, it would be pretty awsome. I guess it's how you define a hobby... If it's drop it whenever you feel like it and super low priority, then I agree. :razz:

Man, I'm not making friends this morning am I :redface:

Coleus
01-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Everything we do takes up spare time and everything eventually runs into issues. But to complain about it is kinda funny... I'm not very active on these forums, but If I spent as much time working on my tank as I do trolling these forums, it would be pretty awsome. I guess it's how you define a hobby... If it's drop it whenever you feel like it and super low priority, then I agree. :razz:

Man, I'm not making friends this morning am I :redface:

Not really complaining but I really don't think we should call this as a "hobby" because according to its definition

"A hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time."

OR we are ALL CRAZY to call this a hobby. Trick our mind into thinking it is a hobby.

waynemah
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Not really complaining but I really don't think we should call this as a "hobby" because according to its definition

"A hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time."

OR we are ALL CRAZY to call this a hobby. Trick our mind into thinking it is a hobby.

I'll chock it up to being a "Newbie" as 99% of the time I'm doing tank maintenance in my leaisure time. Maybe it becomes more at some point, only time will tell.

If it's not a hobby, what shal we call it?

lockrookie
01-19-2012, 08:06 AM
spending our kids inheritance

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Actually, every dollar I've made from selling frags, tanks, used equipment, shrimp, fish, etc. since my little girl was born three and a half years ago has gone into her college/university fund. If I buy something for my tanks, it comes out of my bank account. If I sell anything, it goes into her college fund.:wink:

Lucky for Felicia I love her more than life itself (as I do Isabella [baby girl #2] of course).

lockrookie
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
thats cool that is the point i hope to get toone day

Reef Pilot
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
That's the one I like, ha, ha,....

But I am amazed to hear how many hide or lie about their hobby expenses with their spouses. What kind of marriage is that!??

tang daddy
01-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Its a good thing I am not married yet :mrgreen:
She doesn't know how much I spend most times.....shhhhhh

On a side note I will be married later this year and then my spending will be cut down drastically......

Which is why I am trying to spend abit while I can, cutting down on visiting stores aint a bad thing tho....more money for other things!

Vitaminz
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I always find, I have to take on some side contracts, in order to fund my habit. At least this way, I avoid the how much is this gona cost me, look... Now All I get is the, I get to pick wish Corals and you pay for it....frack....never ends....

Jeff

Reef Pilot
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't complain about all her nail visits, massages, shopping excursions, and lunches with her girlfriends, and she doesn't complain about my fish stuff spending. Actually, she is quite interested, and joins me often on my visits to the LFS's. And she is going to Disneyland with our daughter but without me in a few weeks. So I think it all evens out...

apexifd
01-19-2012, 03:36 PM
And she is going to Disneyland with our daughter but without me in a few weeks. So I think it all evens out...

perfect time to get a major upgrade in the system.

Which is why I am trying to spend abit while I can, cutting down on visiting stores aint a bad thing tho....more money for other things!

from 3 times a day to once a day??

I did something different with my wife. Overstock my tank, then start telling her that her favorite fish is running out of space to swim and starts to run into coral, and making frags of my SPS.

While saying that I look for deals on a big system.

Reef Pilot
01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I did something different with my wife. Overstock my tank, then start telling her that her favorite fish is running out of space to swim and starts to run into coral, and making frags of my SPS.

While saying that I look for deals on a big system.

Yup, that's the smart way to do it...

With me, I just show her all the nice SPS tank pics from canreef, and tell her that's how I want our upstairs display tank to look like. That's how I justified buying another tank for downstairs, so I can transfer and temporarily relocate the upstairs fish while I reset the display tank. And of course, I needed to buy new LED Radions, if I want that SPS, Zoas, et al, to grow...

apexifd
01-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Yup, that's the smart way to do it...

With me, I just show her all the nice SPS tank pics from canreef, and tell her that's how I want our upstairs display tank to look like. That's how I justified buying another tank for downstairs, so I can transfer and temporarily relocate the upstairs fish while I reset the display tank. And of course, I needed to buy new LED Radions, if I want that SPS, Zoas, et al, to grow...

Lol. I kinda remember when I was there last time to pick up the CO2 bottle and giving you advice on what you can do with your system.

She kinda gave me that evil look, thinking "How much money are you gonna get my husband to spend now??"

Reef Pilot
01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Ha, ha, yeah, she knows me pretty well...

Just like I give her friends the evil eye, when they take her out shopping...

The Guy
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
OMG!! what am I getting myself into, I really can't complain my wife got ticked at me when I wanted to cut back on the tanks, apparently this is our hobby now.
Gotta love MTS!!

AquaticFinatic
01-21-2012, 12:38 AM
That's the one I like, ha, ha,....

But I am amazed to hear how many hide or lie about their hobby expenses with their spouses. What kind of marriage is that!??

A happy one :mrgreen:

reefwars
01-21-2012, 12:58 AM
cough cough cough.......(see sig below):twised::twised::twised::twised::twised:

if i had to choose again.....id do the same heheheh:twised::twised::twised:

brotherd
01-21-2012, 04:36 AM
I can't hide it(1 bank acct) and I won't lie about it.But I sure do hear about it!

reefwars
01-21-2012, 04:43 AM
listen people heres how you do it k:P

when your wife or husband says " and how much was that fish??"

you reply....$1000

now shes gonna freak...... trust me..... but after that little episode when you buy a piece of coral for $75 you simply remind her that coral is so much cheaper then fish:pppp

heres another idea.....take up crack...just temporarily.........
once she sees how bad it is and how expensive it is shell beg you to go back to reefing lol

and when all else fails just take her or him to gregs house once they see how bad hes hooked ........your in the clear.....just remind her or him it could be worse:p