PDA

View Full Version : anyone running a nps/azoox tank??...info needed

reefwars
01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
im about to start to build my nps tank and am now looking for any first hand experience in setting up a dedicated system.

what worked for you and what would you do different??

ScubaSteve
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
You're gonna do it finally?! Yeah dude!

No first hand experience here but check out azoox.org (http://www.azoox.org) for lots of people with good experience.

You can also try getting in touch with Mike Cao (uhuru) on RC. The guy is a champ at building NPS tanks (http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/86-tank-of-the-month).

reefwars
01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
have been lurking the nps section at rc now for a while ive read all his threads great build and sweet tank.

yeah ive decided im gonna go ahead with it, i pick up my skimmer next friday its a deltec i wanted to get the most high end skimmer i could afford lol.

im gonna do up my plans here now in a min and let me know what you think its gonna be a slow build and a pricey one.im not expecting to see coral for some time its more that i want to get everything together first.

check out "pfoster" azoox rebuild he has it somewhat finished on another site in ottawa but im basically taking his idea as a start off, ill also be using fauna marin as my basis for food.

reefwars
01-18-2012, 12:49 AM
what do you think, i have ten feet of wall in my bedroom im thinking ill do a small tank and large sump.when its all done it will look like a small tank on a bedroom dresser but bigger,ill do nice wood and fake shelves, mirror etc.

small display 30-50g.......long or wide??? high id rather not do

large sump standard 180 modified ,large area for macro and liverock large area for skimmer reactors etc.

wooden stand 10ft long in side will house my sump,mini fridge,and fresh water resevoir and salt water resevoir.

like this http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72538&highlight=azoox ill be using a mini fridge and doser for feedings and will be on timers throughout the day.ive decided ill be using mostly fauna marin for feedings plus fresh frozen.

apex to run it all, auto top off,autofeeder, skimmer times,auto water change etc.

ill be running my skimmer only for six hours a day, 3 hrs overnight and three hours in the afternoon.

lights ill decide later as its not critical since this will be azoox only tank.

flow ill decide later as well ill need to decide on a display size first before i can decide what ill use for flow.the turnover from my sump isnt going to be huge so ill be using powerheads maybe a wavemaker for the bulk of my flow in tank.

to be honest theres a thousand things i can list but thats the basics of it(or what i can think of), im changing my mind daily about certain things so it will change im sure as i go lol i have my skimmer lined up and ill be getting that friday the space is clear and ill start a bit of my stand maybe the weekend as well.i know ill using the full 10ft or space so ill start with just a basic frame and build from there(one good thing about a wood stand...easy to change)

next week ill buy a bar fridge off kijiij ive been searching and they arent that expensive at all.ive also been looking for a beat up 180g locally.

reefwars
01-18-2012, 12:57 AM
tank sizes ive been pondering:

l w h
20 x 20 x 20.......................35g

30 x 16 x 16........................33g

30 x 24 x 16........................50g

48 x 12 x 20........................50g

36 x 18 x 18......................50g

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-18-2012, 12:58 AM
that's going to be a great thread.
And maybe that will trigger me building one myself:biggrin:
I will be more than happy to help with anything you need.

reefwars
01-18-2012, 01:05 AM
thanks eli, it will be a bit slow though as i would like to have everything together before i decide to add water, the tank itself will probably be near the end lol most people buy a tank and build around that but ill build a set up and add a glass box later lol.

i wanna take care of the bigger purchases like equipment first and i dont wanna cheap out i figure if this is gonna work ill have to do it right or ill just end up fighting with it and it will then take up more time and money then i want.this will be one of those tanks where buying second hand may not be good for some of the stuff so every friday ill buy or make a payment on something for the tank.theres not a whole lot i need but ill take my time to find what i can .

you got pm coming too btw:)