PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Input needed

CountryBoy72
01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Just in the process of building my new 110G SW Tank w/ 35G Sump. Tanks dimensions are 48"Lx18"Wx30"H. The tank will start out as a FOWLR. Would eventually like to add corals, once i get comfortable with the whole SW Tank thing, the tank matures an stabalizes. I would start out with some of these; http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/coralcare/ig/15-Easy-Corals/
So my next question is what lighting fixture do I need to go with ? An all T5 set up, T5 with MH combo, or LED's ? An what manufactures to look at ATI, Ecotech Radion,......?Looking for a fixture that will let me transition from FOWLR to a REEF with easy corals and not have to upgrade or change lighting fixtures to do so, if this is possible.

BigAl07
01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
That's a "Deep" tank for sure. Depth is the big "Enemy" when it comes to Reef Lighting.

With careful placement and if high quality components are used you could do well with a T5 fixture (6+ bulbs w/Individual reflectors) or a T5/MH combo.

If you go LED you'll have to incorporate some level of optics to improve penetration.

If you go MH you''ll want to consider higher W fixtures as 150w wont do much good. I'd suggest 400W if you intend to put high light coral/clam/anemone on the sandbed.

It really depend on how FAR you want to go with your coral. For easy ones about any REEF light will work you just have to place them carefully to make sure you meet their lighting needs.

CountryBoy72
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
So with an ATI Powermodule 6x54W , would that be suitable for a good T5 fixture. Would the Ecotech Radion be a better choice an out perform the ATI unit (I know I need two of the ER's, which cost more but, no bulb changing or heat issues )? Not really sure how far I will venture into the corals, probably won't get too carried away. Have to make the setup somewhat easy for the wife to deal with when I go away for 7-10 days hunting and fishing.

toxic111
01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I would go with the LED's if you can afford them. I said the same thing about corals. Now I am planning on an upgrade to my 33 to a 90 or larger. Going LED's with those right away. My take is already mostly SPS corals.

CountryBoy72
01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
That's the way I am leaning right now, to go with two ER's. That way I can expand the tank to alot more corals if I want too.BigAl07, If you go LED you'll have to incorporate some level of optics to improve penetration.
What do you mean, an how would I go about doing this ?

Agreed! The optic is on the diode itself, so you get some 34 diodes with wide angle optics. This is done in part for "blending" the light from all bulbs to achieve color homogeneity. The downfall of this design is the inability to penetrate deeper tanks. I argued with Tim (the president of Ecotech) on their forum about these lights and he did mention (at the end of arguing) that the lights will have different types of lenses you can install to achieve different type of penetration... Now... I think their unavailability is in part a marketing strategy: "Oh, your Radion doesn't penetrate the depth? well, we have just designed these "COOL" $100/each cluster optics to outfit on it for better penetration and less light spread... it has just been designed and your fixture can be upgraded for $200" watch this happen Watch it happen $165 Lead acid battery is only the beginning ))