PDA

View Full Version : Full sps reef, how to catch a powder blue?

tang daddy
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
My tank is pretty packed I am wondering what the best way is to catch a powder blue tang. They are not that dumb.... I have a fish trap that I plan to leave in for a month so he gets comfortable and then later on put in some nori on a rock. Anyone had success stories catching theirs please share them!

Gripenfelter
01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Cut a sheet of egg crate that is the correct width of your tank. Move the rock over a few inches. Tie food to a rock and put it in the corner. When he swims to that side of the tank drop the egg crate.

Aquattro
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
what size tank? If my tank was smaller and I had a container big enough, I'd drain the tank, pick up the fish and put the water back in. Easy :)

tang daddy
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Cut a sheet of egg crate that is the correct width of your tank. Move the rock over a few inches. Tie food to a rock and put it in the corner. When he swims to that side of the tank drop the egg crate.

That's a good suggestion, easier said than done on a large tank with minimal aquascape, my tank is packed with corals I can hardly find space for a fish trap. There is only enough room for a magnet cleaner on the sides and coral sit right up to the front pane... I know I wish I had a larger tank but it's on the second floor with minimal support, there is a double garage underneath.

I used black signboard to catch fish before in my 120g when I was shutting it down and it's easy to catch fish once they're right to the corner.

apexifd
01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
time to go fishing!! barbless fishing hook...

Aquattro
01-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Ever try that?? It never works :)

Lampshade
01-17-2012, 03:58 PM

That would end up just like when I go fishing in a lake or river. I'd end up with 4 chromis and no tangs :(.

tang daddy
01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
what size tank? If my tank was smaller and I had a container big enough, I'd drain the tank, pick up the fish and put the water back in. Easy :)

Yes good suggestion, that is one sure way to catch a fish, I used this trick before and would work well if he doesn't bury himself in the rockwork. I am embarrassed to say my tank is only a 75g, but as soon as the fish is caught he will be going to a much larger home, which is what is best for this beauty.

I recently help my friend set up a 180g bowfront, we aquascaped with lots of room for the fish to grow out!

tang daddy
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Easy for you to say Peter, I will make you a deal, help me catch both my tangs and I will help you carry your new 220 into your house, deal?

tang daddy
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I am leaning toward draining the tank, that is going to be the easiest and least stress on both the fish and I....

Skimmerking
01-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Tang that is a excellent idea about draing the tank like doing a huge water change

Reef Pilot
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
I caught my Yellow Tang once in a trap, only took a few days to lure him in. I started with placing the nori at the entrance, and then gradually further inside. After a couple days, he was waltzing right inside after it, and just closed the trap door to catch him. Needless to say, he wasn't happy about that, and not sure if he would ever fall for that again. They sure do like their nori, though.

fishoholic
01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I am leaning toward draining the tank, that is going to be the easiest and least stress on both the fish and I....

I would try the fish trap first, most fish will swim into them to get food. I like the draining of the tank idea but sounds like a lot of water to move around.

When I had to catch an angelfish out of my 230g (naturally the only fish that wouldn't go into the trap) it took 3 people to catch him and many nets to block off enterances into the rock work.

lastlight
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
What I have done before is wash clean a bunch of plastic grocery bags and then bunch them up and insert them into all the nooks and crannies to essentially simplify your scape. I blocked all passageways that went front to back and catching the fish was then easy.

tang daddy
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
What I have done before is wash clean a bunch of plastic grocery bags and then bunch them up and insert them into all the nooks and crannies to essentially simplify your scape. I blocked all passageways that went front to back and catching the fish was then easy.

Another fantastic idea, thanks for the suggestion!

Aquattro
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Another fantastic idea, thanks for the suggestion!

I can predict some broken corals moving those bags around :razz:

Douglas
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
I spent weeks trying to catch a "hippo tang". I tried the trap, tried the net, tried to catch him by hand, sleeping at night. All to no sucess. A #16 barbless, on 4lb line with an ultralite spinning rod. He was out of the display and in the sump, in less than 10 seconds, no worse for ware. It works.

reefwars
01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
little bit of nori on a hook should work good.i also liked bretts idea as ive done similar and stuffed the holes so he couldnt escape:)

are you familiar with " the jedi mind trick" ?? also works well and minus a pierced lip hehe:)

apexifd
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Easy for you to say Peter, I will make you a deal, help me catch both my tangs and I will help you carry your new 220 into your house, deal?

I will get you some fishing hook. small enough to catch fire fish.

dreef
01-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Ive used a very tiny hook 3 times now,closed barb of cource,worked great.

tang daddy
01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Someone come over and fish him out, I will take pics! It will save me the hassle of tearing down my reef!

reefwars
01-18-2012, 06:21 PM
i hear the americans pay for good fishing excursions to canada maybe make some cash lol ??:):):)

paddyob
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM

I dont think draining is going to be the best first choice.

If your tank is packed with corals and whatnot, then you still run into the fish taking up hiding in the rocks.

If he takes up hiding ABOVE the point where you want the water line, and you cant get to him, then you have another issue.

Catching any fish in a stocked tank is a nightmare.

I say 3 friends... 4 nets and a case of beer.:twised:

reefwars
01-18-2012, 06:47 PM

thats how i met my ex!! hahahahah:twised::twised:

paddyob
01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I spent weeks trying to catch a "hippo tang". I tried the trap, tried the net, tried to catch him by hand, sleeping at night. All to no sucess. A #16 barbless, on 4lb line with an ultralite spinning rod. He was out of the display and in the sump, in less than 10 seconds, no worse for ware. It works.

I find myself saying... "SERIOUSLY?!?"...

But then I remember... it is a fish.

I am not much for fishing... at all... but does this not cause tears or something in the fish's mouth?

paddyob
01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
thats how i met my ex!! hahahahah:twised::twised:

Nice. How did that work out... oh right. Not reef safe. LOL.

Sorry Denny!

reefwars
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Nice. How did that work out... oh right. Not reef safe. LOL.

Sorry Denny!

its ok i ended up trading her for frags:)

Bblinks
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I think its time for an up-grade. Jl's got a line on the marine land deep demension... just a thought.:twised:

Gripenfelter
01-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Or you could try what I did before...

Buy a huge net and hang it in the tank for a few days. Then tie food to a rock and put it in the net. When he eventually swims in, scoop him up.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80745

paddyob
01-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Buy a huge net and hang it in the tank for a few days. Then tie food to a rock and put it in the net. When he eventually swims in, scoop him up.

Nice work.

Snappy
01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I would use a fish trap, works great.

Reefer Rob
01-18-2012, 09:17 PM
I believe Ocean Aquatics lends fish traps out. You might want to try that before you do something more... radical.

tang daddy
01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I dont think draining is going to be the best first choice.

If your tank is packed with corals and whatnot, then you still run into the fish taking up hiding in the rocks.

If he takes up hiding ABOVE the point where you want the water line, and you cant get to him, then you have another issue.

Catching any fish in a stocked tank is a nightmare.

good thing I thought about this when aquascaping....

he hides in one side of the 2 mounds in my tank, the top is one huge rock which as soon as you lift it off exposes the cave where he hides.

3 friends with 4 nets and beer will just break everything in my tank, you cant fit a fish box in the tank little own 1 large net without getting stuck everywhere is acro sticking out!

I dont want this to be a camping excursion.... as soon as he sees nets hes in the cave. Thanks for the suggestion but I will stick to the original plan of draining the tank!

Reefer Rob
01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Well then, you'd better bring your Oregon Tort to my house for safe keeping :mrgreen:

tang daddy
01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
i hear the americans pay for good fishing excursions to canada maybe make some cash lol ??:):):)
Yah good one, my house may not fit a boat load of americans :mrgreen: I have a 2 person in 2 person out rule!

I think its time for an up-grade. Jl's got a line on the marine land deep demension... just a thought.:twised:

Yes if only my 2nd floor would support the weight of a tank like that I would be all for it! :lol: with no proper joist or supports above the double garage I would be scared of the floor crashing down on my $100,000 car.....

In a larger tank I would as my friend has done this in his, Although my tank is only a 75g with 4" of water to the surface in some areas...

tang daddy
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
I would use a fish trap, works great.

I was thinking this but then I would have to rescape to fit the fish trap in.

I believe Ocean Aquatics lends fish traps out. You might want to try that before you do something more... radical.

Thanks Rob, but I already have a fish trap and as I said before the wrasses are the only ones that swim in and out the tangs wait for bits of food to float out of the fishtrap, I like being Radical :razz: Kaowabung Wa?

Ya Dude
01-19-2012, 05:03 AM
ive caught fish before by feeding all the fish with a net.Put the food in the net and clamp it to the side and leave the room.keep the net in the tank always with a clamp so the fish get used to it.after a week feed the fish holding the net till theyre comfortable and just pick and chose the one you want.Ive dun it

marie
01-19-2012, 05:51 AM
I've drained my 175g to catch all of my fish once. It took me 1.5 hrs start to finish and no corals were moved or damaged.
I have sand so I made a large hollow in the sand near the front of the tank and started draining the tank at the other end, ignoring the fish entirely. They were so used to me working on the tank that non of them were the least bit freaked out until they realized they were trapped in the hollow :mrgreen:

tang daddy
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
I've drained my 175g to catch all of my fish once. It took me 1.5 hrs start to finish and no corals were moved or damaged.
I have sand so I made a large hollow in the sand near the front of the tank and started draining the tank at the other end, ignoring the fish entirely. They were so used to me working on the tank that non of them were the least bit freaked out until they realized they were trapped in the hollow :mrgreen:

YeaH Marie, exactly what Ill be doing this Saturday, I have some large pieces of rock on the top so its easy enough to remove once the canopy is off....
When I scaped this tank I used 10 pieces of rock so If I had to tear it down in future it would be a breeze. I can manually remove half the scape inside my tank in under 10 mins if I wanted to. :lol:

The LR will go into a large rubbermaid tub, then its a matter of draining the tank with 2 pumps to about 4" of water, scooping the fish out and replacing the water back in. I am sure the sps and clams will be ****ed but I will run a filter sock to catch all the extra slime in the tank. I am glad that its only a 75g with 80lbs of rock so basically about 50g of water.... I figure the tank will be empty for about 15mins so the sps should not be effected that much....

tang daddy
01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Well then, you'd better bring your Oregon Tort to my house for safe keeping :mrgreen:

Should I send it Fedex? :lol:

Aquattro
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Just for reference, I moved my 75g SPS tank twice by draining it, carrying it to the van with all the rock, corals and fish in the tank. Total empty time about 1 hour. Draining it for 15 minutes in place is a breeze.

rastaangel
01-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Back when I was trying to catch a longnose butterfly that developed a taste for polyps in my 90g SPS tank I used a bunch of peices of glass to cover up all but one of his escape routes. Then that night when he was sleeping I put a few more peices in behind his fav escape route that funneled into a small clear jug. The next morning when the lights came on for feeding all I had to do was stick the net in my tank and he took off to his fav hiding place full speed which made him bulldose into the jug. Then I just put my net over it and pulled the jug out.
0 corals damaged...

tang daddy
01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Just want to give an update, a friend and I started to drain the tank yesterday at 10am and hand caught the fish out. It was by far the easiest catch EVER!!

By 10:30 water was starting to fill back in and everything is doing well, I am really happy I decided to do it this way and thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

fishytime
01-22-2012, 02:57 PM
good to hear it all worked out for ya and you got him out:biggrin:

tang daddy
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes he is doing alot better in the new 180g home, I went to visit him and he was swimming very normal. It was abit crammed in my 75g so I am glad he went to a bigger home!

lastlight
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Just want to give an update, a friend and I started to drain the tank yesterday at 10am and hand caught the fish out. It was by far the easiest catch EVER!!

By 10:30 water was starting to fill back in and everything is doing well, I am really happy I decided to do it this way and thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

That's great news! I need to source 400g worth of containers in case I want my new damsels out haha.

marie
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
That's great news! I need to source 400g worth of containers in case I want my new damsels out haha.

Heh, when I drained my 175g I had on hand 5 30g tubs and a 20g tub.......much to my disgust I only needed the 5 30g tubs and even then the last tub wasn't completely full.......these tanks don't hold as much water as they say they do

tang daddy
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Marie has a good point, when I drained my 75g I only used 1 garbage can and a rectangle bin for some corals, I was quite surprised how little it took to drain the tank almost empty!

It was probally the 60lbs of rock that displaced alot of the water....