PDA

View Full Version : cant get tunze nanowavemaker to work

rocksteveo
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
having trouble dialing in wavmaker, only geting 1/4'' to 1/2'' wave, not very good. the is 110g tall, anyhelp would be great thanks

RuGlu6
01-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I have Tunze Nano wave box as well and had exactly the same problem.
The way i got around it is by adjusting in very small increments, literally tiny less then a millimetre adjustments on the knob.
And my tank is only 36" long (65 Gal)
Yes i took a long time but it worked.
Also make sure the is no obstruction by the water output for at least 12-15 inches otherwise it will not work.
1/2" wave at the side of the tank is not that bad, but if you want more you can synchronize it with the second wavebox on the Tunze controller.

Another issue is the size of your tank you might want to try a regular size wavebox to push more water.
Having said all that it all comes down to a right frequency of the pulse if you get it just right it will work.

rocksteveo
01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
i have 2 knobs to adujust, one for out and one for in. and then i have a + - buttons to use, whats a good starting point

jostafew
01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey Rockstevo, couple things for you to look at. I really think the Nano will have plenty of poop in that tank, but the tank and the wavebox have to be a good fit.

- Do you have a center overflow or is it on the corner/end of the tank? The overflow will kill a lot of the wave engery. I was only ever able to get about 3/4" in my 70gal (corner O/F) with the wavebox maxed out, but one time I hit feed mode and drained about 10gal out of it for a water change and the wavebox cam back on before I'd refilled, I had a HUGE wave in there, like 2-3 inches before I was able to kill the wavebox!

- Tuning. I found it extremely difficult to dial in the wave frequency to match my relatively short tank (30" x 24" footprint). I eventually got fed up and removed the original potentiometer and replaced it with a 10-turn version which increased the resolution about 13 times! After that it was a snap to dial it in and just adjust the power level to get the wave size I wanted, again max was about 3/4 - 1" due to the corner overflow killing off any additional wave energy. Let me know if you're handy with a soldering iron and I'll send you some more details on the mod I did.

I eventually sold off the wavebox in favor of a Vortech as it just wasn't suited well to my tank (shape and corner O/F), but it's working very nicely in my buddy's 36" long 70gal with center O/F.

rocksteveo
01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
yes my tanks has a centeroverflow, it dosent run down the full height of the tank though, just about 10'' down, id love to see what mods you did any help would be much appreciated, thank you

rocksteveo
01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
wow, not sure what i did but its working great now, getting over an inch of sway,looks great, thanks for your help

Ryan_Lap
01-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Sometimes it just takes a bit of time for it to work its self out. I adjusted mine and had a decent wave, came back an hour later and it was way too much. had to dial it down.

jostafew
01-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Glad to hear that you got it goin, now whatever you do don't touch that knob!

Once you pop the cover open and remove the plastic adjustment knob you'll find a pot. like these:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/209833238/PT6_PT10_PT15_trimmer_potentiometer_piher.html
soldered to the board.

The original potentiometer has only about 270degrees (3/4 turn) of adjustment for the entire range so fine tuning it on the short end is very difficult. I replaced it with a 10-turn pot that looks like this simply because that was readily available and fit in the case:
http://www.c-stamp.com/CS527000.htm
I don't remember the exact resistance but I can did it up if anyone's interested. 10k ohm is ringing a bell though. Because it was now a little hacked you had to open the case to adjust the frequency, but once it is dialed in you should never have to adjust it again until you change tanks. I've heard quite a few ppl complain about the difficulty in tuning the wavebox, I don't understand why Tunze chose that particular style of pot.