PDA

View Full Version : Cutting oil needed for drilling acrylic?

Parker
01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I have to drill and tap the tops of my PM Rectors for larger fittings and I"m wondering what's safe to use as a lubricant for the tap? I was thinking some type of cooking oil ( or if I should be worried at all )

Thanks

sphelps
01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I've always tapped lube free, typically just backing out every little bit allows for easier penetration.

sphelps
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Ok but in all seriousness you don't need lube for tapping acrylic, go slow, back out ever turn or so and clean tap. If you do use lube pretty much anything can be used safely provided you can clean it off after.

ScubaSteve
01-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok but in all seriousness you don't need lube for tapping acrylic, go slow, back out ever turn or so and clean tap. If you do use lube pretty much anything can be used safely provided you can clean it off after.

Agreed. If you are tapping acrylic (and not polycarbonate) you can do it without tapping fluid. Use a 4 flute tap if you can to give you better chip clearance and to reduce chances chipping the edges and threads of the acrylic (you'll need to be careful that you are going in straight).

Parker
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure the flange on PM reactors is acrylic, if I had to guess I'd say PVC, it's probably around 3/4" thick off the top of my head.

vanreefer
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I agree tap it dry... and always go in straight!!

ScubaSteve
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure the flange on PM reactors is acrylic, if I had to guess I'd say PVC, it's probably around 3/4" thick off the top of my head.

If it's PVC, you'll definitely be fine. The harder, more brittle the material, the more of a pain in the arse. PVC are relatively soft and forgiving, so you should be find. Polycarbonate will give you a bit more trouble.

muck
01-16-2012, 08:48 PM
ok guys, do we really have to go through this again...

Aquattro
01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Here's the deal with this stuff. This has gone on too often and the requests to refrain have not been taken seriously.

The next time we have this type of posting, each post's member will get a 1 week ban as the thread continues. We're not asking again.

Subsequent posts of this nature will result in a permanent ban from the board.

Thank you.

Delphinus
01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Ok guys, I've reopened this thread, edited the title (sorry Robb - but I think this captures the meaning of your question without invoking the imagination into other territory), and I think all the originally legit posts are back in. Let's keep it clean? Thanks!