PDA

View Full Version : Help wrasse has ich

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 04:46 AM
So I set my new tank up last week, and when I came back from a night out of town I noticed that my solar wrasse has ich all over his body. He is still eating, but he is not as active. I have been having trouble getting my temperature back up to 78, ( currently at 73). Do you think this may be the cause? What is my next step to fixing the fish. I haven't had any luck curing ich in the past, so any sugfestions help.

Sasquash
01-16-2012, 04:48 AM
my blue hippo tang has a couple spot of icy on him from time to time. i put in a uv sterilizer and feed him with vitamins and garlic and it goes away

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Okay I will give that a try. It has quite a few spots though, how long do I have before I have to quarantine and treat?

jtbadco
01-16-2012, 05:29 AM
If your fish has quite a few spots already then it is in the tank. If it is a reef tank then your options are limited.

You can keep water conditions optimal, feed garlic and selcon and let it run it's course.
I have heard of UV sterilizers helping in some cases.
You can quarantine and treat with copper. You must leave the tank empty for 8 to 10 weeks I believe.
You can also treat with hyposalinity (reducing the salinity to a level where the parasites can't survive) ***not in reef tank

I'm no expert and I'm sure others will speak up if I missed anything important. I have only had the problem once in my 33 gal reef. My Royal gramma and firefish got spots. Lost the gramma, everything else survived....2 clowns, engineer goby, damsel, chromis. That was over 5 months ago.

HTH
Blaine

Aquattro
01-16-2012, 05:35 AM
I have been having trouble getting my temperature back up to 78, ( currently at 73). Do you think this may be the cause?

Absolutely! Get the temp back up, feed well, give him some garlic. What I do for carnivores is thaw out some mysis, press into a paper towel to really dry it, then crush up some fresh garlic and cover the mysis. I use wax paper to fold it and ensure the garlic gets soaked up in the food. Feed away, and he should come around.

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Absolutely! Get the temp back up, feed well, give him some garlic. What I do for carnivores is thaw out some mysis, press into a paper towel to really dry it, then crush up some fresh garlic and cover the mysis. I use wax paper to fold it and ensure the garlic gets soaked up in the food. Feed away, and he should come around.

I will make sure I do that! Thanks for the advice!

fishytime
01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Was this a compleatly new tank or a tank transfer?

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Was this a compleatly new tank or a tank transfer?

Tank transfer. I went from a 90 gallon system to a 140 gallon.

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Okay so it appears to of transferred to my hawk fish. I'm gonna continue to load them up with food and hope for the best

Borderjumper
01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Keep the heat up! The double stress of a tank move and the 73 degrees will cause an outbreak.

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Keep the heat up! The double stress of a tank move and the 73 degrees will cause an outbreak.

Okay so it's back up to 78 overnight. They have some more color now that there night colors are gone.

christyf5
01-16-2012, 05:12 PM
neon goby always worked for me. that is if your solar wrasse doesn't eat small fish (can't remember what they look like).

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 05:34 PM
neon goby always worked for me. that is if your solar wrasse doesn't eat small fish (can't remember what they look like).

Did the neon goby eat the ich? Cause I have a cleaner wrasse that just went at all the other fish and picked away nearly every spot on them! He is looking pretty full now! It had its work cut out for him!

christyf5
01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
yep, the neon goby did a great job for me. The cleaner wrasse should get the job done as well, unless the solar wrasse doesn't like him and won't let him near.

windcoast reefs
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
No the solar wrasse and the cleaner are pretty good buddies. I may get a neon goby as well when the tank stabslizes