PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor media

Willito
02-24-2004, 02:00 AM
I am just about to activate my new calcium reactor and was curious to what brand of media people are using these days. I've noticed that the majority are either using Caribsee ARM or Knop Koralith. These two brand seems to be the best out there with little differences in pricing. Not having to personally use these types of media before, could someone who has please reply and give a report on the products. Any pros and cons, and personal opinion would be apprciated. Thx.

Willy

EmilyB
02-24-2004, 02:12 AM
ARM cuz all the cool Calgary reefers use that :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
02-24-2004, 02:42 AM
ARM cuz all the cool Calgary reefers use that :mrgreen:
:cool: Ditto cause i'm one of the cool Calgarians :lol:

BCOrchidGuy
02-24-2004, 03:44 AM
I used ARM (cuz I'm not in Calgary) and I really had good results with it, the pH of the effluent doesn't need to be really low with it and it just seemed to work great.

Doug (not the cool calgary Doug... if such a person exists)

Snoop Dog
02-24-2004, 04:05 AM
What PH do you have your effluent at when using the ARM?

I have mine at 6.7?

Delphinus
02-24-2004, 04:07 AM
I set my reactor to 6.7 as well.

Willito
02-24-2004, 04:21 AM
That sounds like the choice of champion around this forum.

Snoop and Delphinus, you both have your effluent at 6.7, have you found that to be the most cost effective level yet still obtaining good calcium production. What is your Cal ppm coming out of the reactor at that PH?

Willy

Jack
02-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Doug do you run a reactor? Sounds like you are reading off the bottle.

With my calcium demand I have to run my reactor effluent at 6.8 pH.

Delphinus
02-24-2004, 04:38 AM
I've never tested the Ca value of the effluent, just the pH and the alkalinity. I think you only need to track either one of those (pick your favourite). It will add to the tank with the numbers balanced to each other. My tank has Ca hovering around 400ppm and alkalinity with 4.0meq/l with the reactor running effluent at 60 ml/min. Hope this helps!

BCOrchidGuy
02-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Jack I'm not running a Ca Reactor right now, when I did I followed the directions on the ARM container. I was lucky, with a 19BPM and a 1 or a 1/2 gph irrigation dripper my effluent pH was 7.48, (container said to set it at 7.5) My calcium level was perfect. I'm building a Ca reactor again, for the big tank, and I'll use a Kalk dripper as well more than likely.

Doug