PDA

View Full Version : Aquahub Pumpstopper Kit Install

aqure591
01-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey fellow reefers. I wanted to know if anyone has worked with the aqua hub pumpstopper kit. I placed an order got my shipment of the unit and was confused with how to install it.

In particular I'm confused as to what I do with the 12v Wall transformer. Here are the instructions for the DIY http://www.aquahub.com/store/media/PumpStopperKitInstruxMar11.pdf
If someone has worked on this before please shed some light to my question.

TIA

mike31154
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Ya, the instructions are somewhat lacking in the wiring details. They really should include a schematic diagram of the wiring. Way too easy for someone with no electrical theory or training to mess this up, hence the warnings in the instructions to let it be if you don't know. In any case, not including a schematic diagram with the kit is criminal IMO.

The 12v wall transformer is used to supply low voltage through the float switch. When the contacts on the float switch close, 12 volts from the wall xformer will activate/deactivate the relay (depending on how it's wired) thereby switching the 115 VAC to the pump you are running. This is safer than what some people do & have the float switch shut the pump off directly by interrupting the 115 VAC without a relay. This has the potential of 115 VAC permanently at/through the float switch, in the water. Not a good idea. I also don't like the way all the components are stuffed into the project box, not a very elegant design.

Reef Pilot
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Interesting.... I didn't know you could buy these kits. It seems a little expensive though, considering you still have to do most of the building.

I recently bought a little relay from the local electronics shop (only cost a few bucks), and I have a couple of these float switches, so was going to make my own. I have lots of old transformer power supplies lying around along with old cords. I just need to figure out the schematic with the relay, and then give it a try. I'm busy on other stuff right now, but will get to it eventually.

mike31154
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I posted this little diagram to another thread not too long ago. While it's a schematic for an ATO, not an overflow prevention kit, it's wired much the same, using the same components. It also works much the same, you simply need to ignore the extra parts of the ATO that is designed to constantly switch the supply pump as opposed to only shutting it off in the event of high water level. I guess it also differs in that there's no LED indicator or reset switch. There's also what's called a 'latching circuit' involved on the ATO version. Nevertheless, it's a good visual of how something like this should function, using low voltage (12VDC) & a relay to switch a pump running on 115 VAC.

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pKVlT16W13w7ts2EhIHsEn1HvUCQoIKrumLKQn6pcKcYyqZZ nLxmjDhv44rgUZFIIn8p-khol3t2H-DPgIRsbHg/latchcircuit.gif?psid=1

If you can imagine this circuit with only one float switch, add a reset switch & LED light, it will be pretty close to what your pump stopper kit does. Oh yeah, instead of it being a top off pump, the pump in your case is the sump pump. An ATO is designed to turn pump both on & off, whereas your pump stopper is designed to turn it off only & then you must reset manually using the pushbutton switch. So in the above diagram, eliminate FS1 or actually try to imagine FS1 as a mechanical reset switch, instead of another float switch. Follow?? Now the only thing missing is the LED light. Actually the LED light could be replaced/complemented with a buzzer, that way you have an audio warning instead of a light which you may or may not notice.

EDIT: I guess I should add my own CAUTION here & advise you not to use this schematic directly to figure out your particular pump stopper, since the float switch in your case may be wired differently. The instructions mention something about flipping around the float & I haven't bothered trying to reverse engineer their hookup instructions to see if the relay is wired normally energized or normally de energized. I would guess de energized, but like I said, I haven't deciphered the instructions to that degree. OK, sorry EDIT 2: First part of instructions say the float switch closing, energizes the 12 volt relay.