PDA

View Full Version : what are they?????

evaneatspie555
01-15-2012, 04:51 AM
k so i have these little things taking over my tank they look like tiny square brown mushrooms. there flat and are all over my rock the stick to the glass as well and have mouths like snails. i will try and get a good picture does any one know what they are and if i should be worried ??

The Grizz
01-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Could be baby asteria starfish.......

intarsiabox
01-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Sounds like flat worms.

evaneatspie555
01-15-2012, 05:02 AM
u are correct it is flatworms are there any ways of getting rid of these buggers or is it necessary. they seem to be helping my algae problem disappear

intarsiabox
01-15-2012, 05:08 AM
I've never had more than a few here and there but they all seem to get eaten. There are fish that eat them and some people have problems with them taking over their tanks but I haven't really looked into it myself. I'm sure I have seen posts on this forum about it, just do a search on flat worms and something will turn up.

sumpfinfishe
01-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Wow i was just about to reply with acro bugs! I agree, but i hope for your sake not
especially if you have an sps collection:cry:

sumpfinfishe
01-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Just google flatworm eating fish, as above there is a fish just cant remember ah old age sucks lol

evaneatspie555
01-15-2012, 05:25 AM
well ive been looking around and i guess one of the best ways to get rid of them is too controll your nutrients in the water. i have been having problems with algea and nutrients in my water lately since my tank is very new only up for 2 months and still beeing stocked. i just got my protein skimmer up and working yesterday so hopefully with no fish in there and only corals and shrimp i can get this under controll. if all else fails i guess fltworm exit workes wonders

aqure591
01-15-2012, 05:37 AM
well ive been looking around and i guess one of the best ways to get rid of them is too controll your nutrients in the water. i have been having problems with algea and nutrients in my water lately since my tank is very new only up for 2 months and still beeing stocked. i just got my protein skimmer up and working yesterday so hopefully with no fish in there and only corals and shrimp i can get this under controll. if all else fails i guess fltworm exit workes wonders

Or you can try using this..I placed an order with BRS and should be here soon. Have heard it works http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/salifert-flatworm-exit-aquarium-test-kit.html Check out the reviews by some reefers who have used it and have great success.

Aquattro
01-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Flatworm exit will exit your entire tank unless you follow the directions carefully :) Flatworms are toxic, and when they die, they release the toxins into the tank. And not all fish can eat them, again, toxicity.

They aren't a nutrient thing that will go away. Try manually removing as many as you can, then try the suggested fish (some wrasses I think) to control them.

aqure591
01-15-2012, 05:46 AM
These are the ones that will eat flatworms, bristle worms and other critters. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+386&pcatid=386

evaneatspie555
01-15-2012, 05:55 AM
These are the ones that will eat flatworms, bristle worms and other critters. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+386&pcatid=386
it says wild shrimp as a live food it will eat does that mean it is not suitable with my cleaner shrimp?

STANKYfish
01-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Six line wrasse.

no_bs
01-15-2012, 06:14 AM
They aren't a nutrient thing that will go away. Try manually removing as many as you can, then try the suggested fish (some wrasses I think) to control them.

Six line wrasse.

+1, had a issue a number of years ago, now i swear by them. Never any chemicals enter my tank, only natural defences.

ElGuappo
01-15-2012, 07:49 AM
i have a pink streaked wrasse that eats them too... much better mannered than a 6line.

Doug
01-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Stupid 6 line wrasse. Dont forget how aggressive they become as they age. Many other more docile fish , if thats the route one wishes.

Plus, using fish to get rid of flatworms is a 50/50 proposition. Some do eat them some decide to heck with it. Mandarins eat them but I dont believe enough to keep up with reproduction. I think many have had luck with a yellow canary {banana} wrasse and they seem to less aggressive than 6 lines when mature. Same with leopards.

No matter which method you choose, as Brad said, siphon, siphon, siphon. Keep changing your filter media, sock or whatever it is you use and keep fresh carbon in to remove any toxin from dead flatworms.

ILIKECOUGARS
01-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Stupid 6 line wrasse. Dont forget how aggressive they become as they age. Many other more docile fish , if thats the route one wishes.

Plus, using fish to get rid of flatworms is a 50/50 proposition. Some do eat them some decide to heck with it. Mandarins eat them but I dont believe enough to keep up with reproduction. I think many have had luck with a yellow canary {banana} wrasse and they seem to less aggressive than 6 lines when mature. Same with leopards.

No matter which method you choose, as Brad said, siphon, siphon, siphon. Keep changing your filter media, sock or whatever it is you use and keep fresh carbon in to remove any toxin from dead flatworms.

+ 1 with this one.
I ended up using flatworm exit, to get rid them.
I treated a 180g system with enought flatworm exit that would treat 240g.
All my fish, invert, and coral were fine after the treatment.
Flatworm Exit is reef safe, it's the dead flatworms you have worry about, siphon out as many before you start, and siphon out as many dead you see.
Also best to treat when your doing water change, and add fresh carbon after.

I have notice I still have flatworms:sad: I will be doing a second treatment. Will need to order more flatworm exit from J&L.

paddyob
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Flatworm exit will exit your entire tank unless you follow the directions carefully :) Flatworms are toxic, and when they die, they release the toxins into the tank. And not all fish can eat them, again, toxicity.

+1!!!

A spotted Mandarin will eliminate the issue.

I had a 20G overrun with them at one time.

I added a Spotted Mandarin and within two weeks the issue was gone.

I understand sixline wrasse might also enjoy them.

Flatworm Exit works... but never guaranteed to get them all... and you can bomb your tank.

Try natural first.

paddyob
01-15-2012, 04:58 PM
+ 1 with this one.
I ended up using flatworm exit, to get rid them.
I treated a 180g system with enought flatworm exit that would treat 240g.
All my fish, invert, and coral were fine after the treatment.
Flatworm Exit is reef safe, it's the dead flatworms you have worry about, siphon out as many before you start, and siphon out as many dead you see.
Also best to treat when your doing water change, and add fresh carbon after.

I have notice I still have flatworms:sad: I will be doing a second treatment. Will need to order more flatworm exit from J&L.

As noted.... not a guarantee. You may continue dosing to control.

Natural predation is best.

Spotted Mandarin.

evaneatspie555
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Glad to hear spotted mandarin I would love one of them I've been letting my pods run rampant just so I could get one. I guess it's time to purchase him

Doug
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Just to add to the mandarin eating the flatworms. The dont many times or not enough to hurt the flatworms population. I personally have not had luck with them helping much. My yellow coris was better. I would guess they do pick at them but could think the tank would also need assistance by some other method , like siphoning.

Proteus
01-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Personally I would go with a melonarous wrasse. They are continuously on the hunt. I first got mine while having a pest problem with brissle worms. The coris wrasse is a good one but I prefer the above