PDA

View Full Version : Vermitid snails

Nano
01-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Hey guys, so a few weeks a go I swapped a kenya tree that had taken over half of my tank for a few small pieces of what I was told was clean LR.. well needless to say, that half of my tank is now being taken over by vermitid snails. What is my best bet for a mass kill off of these things? i'm starting to notice them moving to the other half of my tank, in turn rendering about 80% of my LR infested.. is there an additive for the water that will kill them? or a critter/fish of some sort? I know their not bad per say, but they are sure invasive and unsightly.. I'd like them gone.

reefwars
01-15-2012, 02:18 AM
i have hundreds in my tank i never see them untill i either kick up sand or do a water change they cause me no harm whatso ever, i know people say corals can be irritated by them but mine dont seem to mind at all.

you can epoxy them or simply snap them off, i think i hearrd of a wrasse that eats them but i cant be certain:P

Nano
01-15-2012, 02:22 AM
would it be a wrasse suitable for a 34g? lol all my live rock is going in my sump and then dry rock in the DT in my new tank, will they still get into the display?

reefwars
01-15-2012, 02:26 AM
would it be a wrasse suitable for a 34g? lol all my live rock is going in my sump and then dry rock in the DT in my new tank, will they still get into the display?

id say they possibly could, nothing a night out in the cold in a snowbank couldnt fix hehehe:)

i cant say about the wrasse cause i dont know which one it is or even if its a fact or not??:PP

hows the build going?

Nano
01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Slow but steady haha, dropped the tank off with greg today, he's going to drill it an rig up an over flow, so I will be down there next friday to pick that up along with my AI sol, and custom arm greg is building me. Then its just a matter of plumbing in a sump and I'm golden.

now since all my corals are small, I am going to keep the small pieces of LR that they are on, but visually inspect them, then the rest of my LR, I will have to freeze or something. then I will take my coral of the remaining LR visually inspect it again, and then let it seed everything, and hope I dont get anymore.. also I'm not going to feed any reef roids to my tank for a while, do a 1 gallon WC maybe 2 every day, to hopefully remove the excess food in the water that are allowing them to spread. if that makes sense :lol: