PDA

View Full Version : Zoas Reacting Under Different Radion Light

MarkoD
01-14-2012, 05:08 PM
so i decided to see what happens to this zoa polyp as i changed the color of the light.... the rest of the polyps were pretty much open all night so i decided to focus in one this one.

it was taken over the period of just over an hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VagSxOGRBCo

Here is the same experiment with a Prism Favia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch43Ifw6Z1A

watch in HD for best results

Nano
01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
yeah you can see they didnt like certain spectrums and the change between green and blue made them ticked off too

MarkoD
01-14-2012, 05:27 PM
yeah you can see they didnt like certain spectrums and the change between green and blue made them ticked off too

huh? the change from green to blue made them turn upwards

Nano
01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
oh sorry i just meant the initial change in light seemed to make them jump so to speak. it was the red I meant that made them ticked (the closed up). lol havent had coffee yet. late gaming night :redface:

MarkoD
01-14-2012, 06:21 PM
also watch the favia on the right side when the blue lights turn on

fishytime
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
So...... Exactly what is this vid supposed to prove?:razz:

MarkoD
01-15-2012, 03:35 PM
So...... Exactly what is this vid supposed to prove?:razz:

nothing really. i just wanted to see what happen under different light.

also....... that red isn't recognized as actual photosynthetic light :razz:

the only reason they were open to begin with was because i had the room lights on while i was setting up

daniella3d
01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
so what are your conclusions? that the blue is the best light for them? They behave better with the blue light or are they simply reacting to the change of light to begin with and then adjusting?

I know when my MH shut down and there is only the actinic left, my zoanthids first close, then they reopen again as if nothing happened....then when my actinic shut down and the moon lights turn on, the zoanthids close up for the night. I guess that the less the light they receive the more they are closed in my system.

MarkoD
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
so what are your conclusions? that the blue is the best light for them? They behave better with the blue light or are they simply reacting to the change of light to begin with and then adjusting?

I know when my MH shut down and there is only the actinic left, my zoanthids first close, then they reopen again as if nothing happened....then when my actinic shut down and the moon lights turn on, the zoanthids close up for the night. I guess that the less the light they receive the more they are closed in my system.

from my understanding they only open up when there is enough light for photosynthesis

reefwars
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
from my understanding they only open up when there is enough light for photosynthesis

most of my zoas and palys stay open all night or open and close throughout the night and they arent getting much out of photosynthesis from my moonlights.

daniella3d
01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Some of mine stay open all night as well, but in total darkness they often close. Also I have noticed that when they start to feel bad, they only open when a stronger light is on. This is a sure sign for me that they are in decline and need attention, usualy a peroxyde dip.

most of my zoas and palys stay open all night or open and close throughout the night and they arent getting much out of photosynthesis from my moonlights.

MarkoD
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
im doing the same experiment with a prism favia.

video come up

MarkoD
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
ok i added a second link to the OP

ensquire
01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I thought you were running Sol's on your tank ?

MarkoD
01-15-2012, 06:03 PM
I thought you were running Sol's on your tank ?

I've got 2 sols and a radion until more sols come in

ensquire
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
You can do some real comparison shopping LOL