PDA

View Full Version : BAKPAK SKIMMER POWER HEAD UPGRADE?

bluetang
02-23-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading my Rio600 power head on my bakpak skimmer to a Rio800. Have any of you tried this? What are the pro's and the con's?
Thanks

Jack
02-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I've used hang on's and I like the Rio 800 RVT.

Pro: More foam and skimmer efficiency increased.

Con: Possibly more bubbles returning to the tank unless you have the bubble trap and wet skimmate.

I can't say forsure cause I haven't used the bakpak with the 800 RVT but that's my input.

motox
02-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I JUST BOUGHT THE RIO 800 YESTERDAY AND IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME ON MY BAK PAK. IT CAUSED TOO MUCH WATER FLOW. IT BROUGHT THE WATER LEVEL UP TO THE OVER FLOW AND CAUSED TOO MANY BUBBLES IN THE TANK. WHAT HAS WORK FOR ME WAS THE AIR STONE UPGRADE AND HOOKING AN AIR PUMP DIRECTLY TO THE RIO 600 SO YOU INJECTING THE AIR INTO IT. YOU CAN NOT GO FULL BORE ON THE AIR AS IT WILL OVER POWER THE PUMP. BEST IS TO USE THE VALVE THAT COMES WITH YOUR RIO 600 AND ADJUST IT ACCORDINGLY

marie
02-24-2004, 12:33 AM
I upgraded to the Rio 800 on my backpak. It worked fine for 4 months then had a melt down and killed off some animals :eek: . I now use a maxijet 1200 with a $10 attachment and it's been working great for 3yrs.

BCOrchidGuy
02-24-2004, 06:27 AM
I kept the 600 on my bakpak but I added a wooden air stone, skimmage was out of this world. I put rigid airline tubing down through the collection funnel and then put an airstone on it and put it right at the bottom of the second chamber, I didn't have bubbles coming into the tank and I had thicky ugly grungy filthy vile skimmage. It was great.. then I gave it away.

Doug