I have in my 240 gal confirmed mated pairs are
Clown fish
Leopard wrasses
Labouti wrasses
Bangi cardinals
Coral beauty's
Zebra dartfish
Green spotted Mandarins
And now I think 2 of my yellow tangs have been doing the fancy sexy swim together

Delphinus
01-14-2012, 04:06 AM
I always like to see pairs of fish, and sometimes it works out, but sometimes not.

Paired fish in my care that seem OK together:
Flame wrasses
Bellus angels (occasional spawn display but mostly they just bicker)
blue mandarins (reasonably regular spawning)
ocellaris clowns (regular spawning)
chromis
pyramid butterflies

Pairs that were more "just 2 fish of the same kind" and ended up "not OK" together:
- Double saddleback butterflies - they schooled together all the time at first, after 2 years they started showing aggression to each other. They started getting ich pretty badly, eventually one died, and shortly afterwards the ich cleared in the remaining one.
- Doliatus rabbitfish - always wanted two, they seemed to tolerate each other but that was it.
- Virgatus rabbitfish - same story, had a pair, they hung out together but never witnessed anything like spawning.

Also had a pair of flame angels for a while in a tank a while back. Unfortunately lost both in a prolonged power failure. I'm pretty sure they had paired up too. :cry:

Myka
01-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Many SW fish change sex (there are different means of doing so), so obtaining two juveniles will usually end up with pairs. Wrasses, Dwarf Angels, Clownfish, Dottybacks, Grammas, some other ones I'm not thinking of... :lol: they will all pair up from juvies.

Delphinus
01-14-2012, 04:24 AM
Oh I forgot about my failed attempt at pairing up golden dwarf eels. That was a mistake. :( Lesson learned - some fish you can make a pair of - but some fish you have to buy as a pair.

I want to one day get a male crosshatch for my female - but I'm afraid to do so. Have heard of cases where it's gone well, but also heard of cases where it's gone poorly.

The biggest eye opener for me are butterflies. Everyone thinks they're so docile (well maybe not everyone but it's something I do hear time and again). Truth is they can be downright nasty to each other if they so choose.

Ryan
01-14-2012, 04:55 AM
I have clowns like everyone but would really like to get a pair of Flame Wrasses, Rhomboid Wrasses, and Lineatus Wrasses. I have no idea where to start looking for them, anyone have an idea?

Oh and I am on "The List" for Bandit Angels from Frank Baensch so I will be grabbing a pair of those hopfully this year. Cant Beat captive bred!

Reef Pilot
01-14-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a pair of Royal Grammas. Very interesting to watch, hang together sometimes, usually in the evenings, seen them going in and out of caves together, and saw one carrying some stuff in its mouth into a cave, maybe nest building.

I also have 3 Pearlscales, and I think 2 of them might be a pair. They often do things in tandem, picking on the rocks, and roaming around the tank. Sometime the 3rd one joins them, but more often he is the outsider. Don't really know if something is happening with the possible pair, or this is just normal social behavior for these fish. But they do look great in my tank, and totally cleaned up my aiptasia problem.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a breeding pair of Oce. clowns, a pair of Leopard Wrasses. The clowns are guarding eggs right now and I'm waiting for one L.W. to change into a male.

Delphinus
01-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Ooops, totally forgot about my diamond watchman pair in my FOWLR. I assume they are a pair ... At the LFS they were inseparable in a tank full of them whereas the rest ignored each other. They still are inseperable.

ashr
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
A pair of Bangi cardinals!!