PDA

View Full Version : Nano Build - Glass vs Acrylic

jostafew
01-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone, I keep going back and forth on glass vs acrylic for my upcoming nano build. Cost wise they will be pretty similar $230-$250 for materials with either option. Glass is nice for durability but acrylic will give a cleaner look at the seams, and with the glass I will also have to buy 2 diamond hole saws which will cost a few bucks more.

Here's a link to the design in question:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80238&page=2

I'm thinking the acrylic will be a touch cheaper by the time I'm done, and may have a slightly better look, but the back panel will end up being 1/2" thick by the time I add 3/8" of clear acrylic with 1/8" of black. I'm gonna have to see if my Koralia nano will work on a wall that thick!

Comments? I've built tanks from both materials but only kept a glass system for any length of time so I don't have ownership experience with acrylic.

Thanks in advance

sphelps
01-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Hard to believe acrylic will be cheaper than glass. For the size of tank you'll only need 1/4", acrylic you'll need 3/8" unless you brace it. 1/4" starphire glass should be less than 3/8" cast acrylic. Silicone is also cheaper than weld-on and the seams are much easier and forgiving with silicon plus I think the two will look pretty similar in terms of "cleanness". Personally would go with glass, some extra money for edge polishing would be nice.

jostafew
01-13-2012, 11:50 PM
You're right on the thicknesses, 3/8" acrylic or 3/16" regular glass (would go to 1/4" if I wanted to splurge on low iron glass) according to the calculators. Dimensions are 16" x 13" x 10". I just got a quote from IPP for the acrylic and it came out to about $230, and based on the cost of my sump project I think glass will be pretty similar. I haven't put together a proper cutlist for the glass shop yet but I suppose I should do that just to get a solid answer on that front.

BTW, I won't be using weld-on for the majority of the acrylic build, it'll be straight solvent on most of the joints, and I've already got that from previous builds. Same with the silicone, purchased on boxing day in preperation for the build.