PDA

View Full Version : salt mixing

reefme
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I know mixing salt in a round drum is much better and faster than in a rectangular tank. I have a 25 gallons compartment in my sump for water change and it doesn't mix too well. Just wondering if it mix any better in a 5 gallons pail with 7.5 LBs of salts and top up the rest of RO/Di water in compartment? This way I don't have to buy a 32 gallons drum.
Thank you so much for your inputs.

mike31154
01-13-2012, 11:26 PM
What means are you using to mix? Powerhead, mechanical, by hand? I just use a rectangular rubbermaid type container to mix up my water change. Use a wooden spoon after dumping the salt in & then add an AquaClear powerhead. I let that run for at least a day & by that time it's all good. I try to plan ahead so I don't have to worry about how fast it mixes. Throw in a couple of heaters a few hours before the water change, it's cold in the basement where the container is.

Reefie
01-13-2012, 11:32 PM
I use a powerhead and an airstone with a heater also to mix my saltwater. I always keep it going that way I will always have it on hand should I need to do an emergency WC. I also keep an equivalent amount of RO/DI water on hand should I run out.

It's best to be prepared, cuz you never know what could happen.

reefme
01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
What means are you using to mix? Powerhead, mechanical, by hand? I just use a rectangular rubbermaid type container to mix up my water change. Use a wooden spoon after dumping the salt in & then add an AquaClear powerhead. I let that run for at least a day & by that time it's all good. I try to plan ahead so I don't have to worry about how fast it mixes. Throw in a couple of heaters a few hours before the water change, it's cold in the basement where the container is.

I don't a man power to mix by hand. I am using a maxi jet 1200.

reefme
01-13-2012, 11:40 PM
My question is have anyone try to mix 7.5 LBs of salts in a 5 gallon pail?

Reefie
01-14-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't think 7.5 lbs of salt will be thoroughly mixed with only 5 gallons of water. You would have quite a bit of undissolved salt sitting at the bottom of the bucket. And then comes the challenge of adding the right amount of RO/DI water to achieve the salinty. Might just be easier to have multiple 5 gallon buckets mixing your saltwater instead.

Aquattro
01-14-2012, 12:29 AM
I once tried to make a brine with less water and the salt never cleared up. I wouldn't do it again.

reefme
01-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Thank you so much! Now have to find rooms for my 32 gallons drum.

ILIKECOUGARS
01-14-2012, 01:18 AM
What do mean by this? ( it doesn't mix too well.)
How long do you let it mix before your water change? What salt are you using?

I use a 37gal. rectangular tank for mixing and let it sit over night with a powerhead and heater. Alway mix up clear.
I use reef crystal salt.

reefme
01-14-2012, 01:23 AM
What do mean by this? ( it doesn't mix too well.)
How long do you let it mix before your water change? What salt are you using?

I use a 37gal. rectangular tank for mixing and let it sit over night with a powerhead and heater. Alway mix up clear.
I use reef crystal salt.

I see people mixing salt for only 10 minutes. Which powerhead are you using?

ILIKECOUGARS
01-14-2012, 01:41 AM
I see people mixing salt for only 10 minutes. Which powerhead are you using?

I use a AquaClear which I had from my freshwater days.
Last year I brought a bucket of redsea pro salt from a member which was rock hard and it mix up cloudy. I use a quick filter also from my freshwater days for the aquaclear powerhead and it clear up within about 15-20 min.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4638

hillegom
01-14-2012, 02:48 AM
I could be wrong, but I think when you use salt that has hardened, some of the sodium bicarbonate turns into calcium carbonate, and that makes for the cloudy water, it will no longer dissolve. Check the KH of your new salt water.
Hopefully some of the keener chemists can elaborate

Aquattro
01-14-2012, 03:31 AM
I would also not use salt that's only mixed for 10 minutes. I mix mine a minimum of 6 hours, but preferably overnight..

ILIKECOUGARS
01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
I could be wrong, but I think when you use salt that has hardened, some of the sodium bicarbonate turns into calcium carbonate, and that makes for the cloudy water, it will no longer dissolve. Check the KH of your new salt water.
Hopefully some of the keener chemists can elaborate

I had no problem using the salt. Ca, and KH/Alk and PH were in there acceptable range. Fish, invert and coral all seem normal when I was using this salt.

tim the toolman
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I find that different brands of salt mix at different rates. I always let my salt run for a day but I also use fairly inexpensive salt. To your question, no 7.5 lbs of salt will not dissolve in 5g of water