PDA

View Full Version : Clam sticking out it's tongue???

Delphinus
06-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Anyone seen anything like this ...

My T. max is sticking something, might be part of its byssal gland, out of its inhalant siphon. It literally looks like a little white tongue sticking out. It sticks it out, pulls it back in ... sticks it out again, pulls it back in again.

This has been going on for about a week.

Anyone got any ideas? Anything whatsoever? I've posted on the RC clam forum but so far nobody has responded over there.

:confused:

AJ_77
06-28-2002, 10:46 PM
Cheeky little monkey!

:D

Doug
06-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Sorry Tony, never seen that with mine.

Delphinus
06-29-2002, 01:47 PM
He seems to be alright? :confused: Usually when I've noticed something amiss with a clam it doesn't take very long for my suspicions to be confirmed (e.g., last month I bought a crocea from a LFS .. after 3 days I suspected something was up .... 2 days after that it was gone. Very quick downward spiral with these guys!) This guy, most of the time he looks fine ... and it's been a week without any sign of decline (so far anyways .... touch wood!) I'm wondering if it's some kind of mechanism to clean out their gills if they get clogged or something.

I need Daniel Knop's email address ... that's what I need, I think he's the only one who might know. The post I've put up on RC ... it is just sitting there without anyone even giving me a courtesy "I don't know what that could be" kind of post ... :(

Oh well ... time is the ultimate indicator ....

Mares77
07-02-2002, 06:06 PM
My clam was sticking out its tongue a few days ago, but it stoppped...No idea what that was all about...Oh well as long as it is still alive... smile.gif

Delphinus
07-04-2002, 12:18 PM
Well, my questions have finally been answered.

The clam is no more. :(

Do people really have these guys for more than a few months??? Man, I thought I did everything right this time. I dosed DT's. I have good water quality. I bought farm-raised over wild-collected. I kept away nuisance tankmates. My calcium is good. My alkalinity is good.

Why do I love clams so much? Why do THEY hate me so much?

... sigh .... I am so depressed right now.. :(

Troy F
07-04-2002, 12:29 PM
Sorry to here that Tony. Sounds like it had a problem before it came to you.

Canadian Man
07-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Sorry to here you had no luck with another clam :(

Delphinus
07-04-2002, 01:23 PM
I guess I should be happy for the three months that I did have it. Man ... I just don't know. For whatever reason, I just can't keep clams.

You'd think after losing about SEVEN of them over the years a guy might learn to accept this. Poor clams. For what it's worth, clams, I'm sorry that my tanks aren't good enough for you... :(

Man. I am having such a hard time focusing on anything right now.

Troy F
07-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Look on the bright side Tony, lots of people can keep clams but almost no one can keep a ritteri. Food for thought.