PDA

View Full Version : Turn up the lights!

Lofus
02-23-2004, 06:54 PM
At long last I am getting prepared to install the new MH over my tank which is currently running under 3 x NOs. I've a 72 bowfront that will have 2 x 250W DE pendents and 2 x T5 actinics.

What would be an acceptable ramp up schedule to avoid shocking my system?

I was thinking of putting the Actinics on 14hrs/day and starting 6hrs/d with the MH increasing 1hr/d over the course of a week to 12hrs/d.

At the end of the week I would have the actinics on for an hour then the MH and actinics for 12 hrs and then the actinics for one more hour.

Is this too ambitious?

Jim

Jack
02-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Sounds a bit ambitious to me. That's a huge increase in intensity.

Do you have any coral to worry about?

You may have to start off with fairly short photoperiods. Another trick is to use window screen to diffuse the light even more. Multiple layers gives you more diffision, ect.

AJ_77
02-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Jim, there's been a few threads dealing with this topic - search for 'photoperiod' or whatnot. (Here, try this: http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8039&highlight=photoperiod). Look for Steve's post on p 2.

The best method agreed on seems to be the multiple timer settings for the halides, where you start with a portion of each hour (15-20 mins), and ramp up to the full 60 minutes over a period of days or weeks.

HTH

Lofus
02-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks! I guess I'll go with the strobe method. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
02-25-2004, 12:45 AM
where you start with a portion of each hour (15-20 mins), and ramp up to the full 60 minutes over a period of days or weeks.

HTH

not quite, you start with both on and off full hours. so on for a hour then off for a hour.. then after a few days you reduce the off and lengthin the on. ect.

Steve

Lofus
02-25-2004, 04:56 AM
gotcha. Having some last minute wiring issues.