PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean algae off of liverock?

kam
01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I have been having an algae attack.. i think diatoms as its brown hairy type stuff that has taken over just about everything. I have done a clean job and purchased some much needed equipment (phosban reactor, better lighting and mp40es powerheads). I need to know whats the safest way to clean the algae off of my liverock. I would like to suck up whatever is on the top layer of my sand and get all that crap off of the LR without harming it as much as possible.

Thanks so much :biggrin:

gregzz4
01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Besides someone chiming in to answer your question, the new reactor will make a big difference. If all goes well, you'll see the algae slowly start to go away, as long as you don't overfeed and your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are in check.
And keep a shorter photoperiod for awhile too.

kam
01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
I've already tonned my metalhalides down a bit. They arent on for as long through the day, I have also slowed feeding down as well.

So, what potentially can happen is I setup the phosban reactor and the algae will potentially die off and leave the LR?

gregzz4
01-12-2012, 06:57 PM
In essence, yes. If there is a lot, you may want to pick as much out of the tank as you can. This will not only help speed up the esthetics, but will eliminate any potential issues with the die off causing system spikes and other algae to feed on the rotting stuff. Although some critters actually have an easier time eating decaying algae.

kam
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Well my tangs seems to enjoy it for the most part.. :)

gregzz4
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Something came to mind ...
Where did you get your rock and how long have you had it?
If the algae is only growing on the rock, then you may have to 'cook' it to rid it of excess nutrients.
Have a read through Myka's guide to curing rock (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44859). This may tell you what I'm getting at.
I'd recommend you read all 3 posts, if you haven't already.

Nano
01-12-2012, 08:20 PM
If the algae is only growing on the rock, then you may have to 'cook' it to rid it of excess nutrients.
Have a read through Myka's guide to curing rock (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44859). This may tell you what I'm getting at.

LOL Myka has a guide for everything!

NU-2reef
01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Ever try starving the algae with a blanket of chaeto?

So take a ball of chaeto and spread it out like a thick blanket. Weigh it down with live rock and leave for a couple days then check. Repeat if needed. The idea is to have chaeto out compete for nutrients thus starving the algae of light and nutrients. I would also do a fuge with miracle mud and macro algae.

Atomikk
01-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Need nothing more than urchins. They naturally clean the reefs in the oceans, so why steer away from them?

MarkoD
01-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Turbo snails will decimate algae.

Nano
01-12-2012, 08:37 PM
yeah I had some pretty unsightly hair algae at first but I only had an astrea(spelling) snail then I got 3 turbos, and it was gone in about 4 days

reefgirl189
01-12-2012, 09:20 PM
yeah I had some pretty unsightly hair algae at first but I only had an astrea(spelling) snail then I got 3 turbos, and it was gone in about 4 days

Did you have to trim the HA down extremely short or would they eat it even if it was more than 1/4" long?

Nano
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I tried to pull off as much as I could first. I don't think they can handle the really long stuff. I could be wrong though. I just have some in one little spot now, that they never seem to touch.. lol

kam
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM

It was everywhere, not just on the rock. I had the tank running for three years before this happened

Nano
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
any changes to lighting or adding anything to the tank?