PDA

View Full Version : Kalk drip Question

Chad
02-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Ok,

I bought some of that Calcium Hydroxide from Shao. After doing some research on what mix I should have per gallon etc, I read alot about the mixture not being exposed to the air. So, I have been dripping top off water without the kalk for the past day or so with the container air tight. Well, it only drips so much then stops sine it becomes a vacum inside the container. My question is, when I do put Kalk into this drip system, how do I do it without introducing air to it? Since I have to have the lid off for it to drip consistantly.

Does that make sense??

ron101
02-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Chad, exposure to air is something that you want to minimize, you do not have to avoid it at all costs. Because the carbon source for the Kalk mix is from atmospheric CO2, unecessary exposure will reduce the disolved Ca by precipitating calcium carbonate.

Tips for preserving Kalk concentration:
1) minimize exposure to air (keep storage containers covered)
2) minimize agitation as this promotes gas exchange
3) Do not make up solution too far in advance. I keep it to 2-3 days, though I have read some will go a week.

That said if you are using a rigid container for dripping you will have to put a hole in the top to eliminate vacuums. Otherwise you could try a non-rigid water tight container like a medical IV bag...

Jack
02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Just poke a hole in the top Chad. They say mixed kalk lasts for 4-7 days but you'll be using it that night you mix it. You won't need to worry about it going bad with only a small hole in the top.

Also, if you drip kalk before it settles out you can plug your airline dripper with gunk, which stops or slows your drip rate.

Chad
02-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info Jack / Ron101...

I am just wondering if I should also have a RO/DI drip during the day as well... It seems like it would fluctuate too much if I just did the drip at night..

what do you guys think?

Jack
02-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Yep you can do it that way. You have no sump on your 20g right?

Chad
02-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Nno, no sump, which is making this more difficult... I was trying to find a container that had two seperate compartments but I couldn't find anything suitable..

any ideas?

Jack
02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Yep, two seperate containers. :P

You're gonna want a seperate container for the kalk because you want to wash out the sediment when you refill. Where as with the RO/DI you just setup a container that has it's drip set and throw a liter (or however much you evaporate in a day) every morning to last you the day.

Chad
02-23-2004, 09:20 PM
hehe, stupid me for buying a large container.. is about 3L.... ugh... I should have just got some smaller ones...

Any one know of a "perfect" container for something like this??

What about using a very diluted mixture of Kalk? and run it all day? Does that work?

Jack
02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Chad, you're making this difficult on yourself. :lol:

Just use pop bottles or milk jugs or anything. Come on think, you can do it! :razz:

Aquattro
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Chad, I use full strength kalk 24 hours a day. I mix 5g every day and hook it to my top off. You can drip it all day if you want at any strength you want. Air isn't an issue unless you mix up way too much. I think it's Randy Holmes-Farley that mixes his in a 20g garbage pail and it lasts for a long time.
Use whatever you have lying around for a container. Do you top off with a flaot valve regulary? Or have you been dumping your topoff water in once per day?

Chad
02-24-2004, 02:39 AM
Chad, you're making this difficult on yourself. :lol:

Just use pop bottles or milk jugs or anything. Come on think, you can do it! :razz:

Ya, I know.. but I am trying to not do the "ghetto" theme.. I wanted to make it as neat as posible.. but perhaps I will have to revise my thinking...

errr...

Thanks Jack.. :razz:

Chad
02-24-2004, 02:50 AM
Chad, I use full strength kalk 24 hours a day. I mix 5g every day and hook it to my top off. You can drip it all day if you want at any strength you want. Air isn't an issue unless you mix up way too much. I think it's Randy Holmes-Farley that mixes his in a 20g garbage pail and it lasts for a long time.
Use whatever you have lying around for a container. Do you top off with a flaot valve regulary? Or have you been dumping your topoff water in once per day?

I used to just fill it up once a day.. now I have started to drip it constantly. No float valve.. just guessing the drip rate for a days evap. It worked out to about 4 cups a day..

Aquattro
02-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Then I would use a milk jug or similar sized container. Mix up a gallon and it will be fine for 4 or 5 days.

Chad
02-26-2004, 02:34 AM
Just got home to find that my Kalk dripping container cracked during at some point today and drip a good amount onto my floor.. :evil: errr...

not a good start to this..