PDA

View Full Version : aquaticlife or hydor slim skim

sumpfinfishe
01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi all, i am setting up a 33gl reef very soon and i would appreciate any input
you may have regading the following two skimmers-aquaticlife 115 or the hydor slim skim, the tank will be sumpless so regardless of skimmer it will be used in tank,
thanks rich :biggrin:

Cugio
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
My vote was only based on noisy factor. I have Aquatic Life 115 and it is noisy. I have also performed the mod to quiet it down. I have watched videos of Mrsaltwatertank tv's review on the Hydor and it's quiet.

As far as skim, the AL 115 did a good job.

Reefie
01-12-2012, 01:04 AM
I have an AquaticLife 115 Skimmer that's about 6 months old for $25 or if you've got some nice SPS, I'd trade it for a couple of decent sized frags.

outacontrol
01-12-2012, 03:37 AM
Neither on a tank that small run no skimmer and just do a few more water changes, cheaper and quieter and less headache and hassle.

NU-2reef
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I would look at what tunze has to offer. But if you are dead set on those two mentioned then I would go hydor slim skim. I own one, I'm happy with it but I like to over skim so I upgraded.

As for running no skimmer. Forget that noise. I know it works for people but when you see what a good skimmer pulls even when weekly water changes are done you may reconsider. Besides the fact that it will help get oxygen to the tank, running a skimmer will help keep the water prestine no matter the tank size. Ultimately prestine water is the main goal for all reefers.

sumpfinfishe
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for thr replys, i think i will go with the slim skim as i have read all good
on that model an some noise issues with the 115

jtbadco
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I vote for the Tunze 9002. Absolutely silent and works like a charm on my 33 gal reef