PDA

View Full Version : Any Ontario focused sites

bling_bling466
01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Am I ever jealous on all the different frags and corals for sale out west and never available here. :cry: is there any site that is focused on Ontario or the gta area

parkinsn
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
There is this one. I dont know if i can do that here lol. But I have heard some complaits from people about how strict it is. Never signed up myself though.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/modules/Jig/index.php

bling_bling466
01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
O sorry if I wasnt suppose to ask this question I didn't mean anything by it the amount I've learned from here is amazing and with amazing people.

phi delt reefer
01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
aquarium pros is sorta Canada's reef central. i am on there to check out store sales for the most part and the classified section is pretty solid.

can reef is the only canadian forum really worth while - i am also on a southern ontario forum but we just shoot the **** and organize group buys on there. I get all my solid info from here!

Aquattro
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
There is this one. I dont know if i can do that here lol. But I have heard some complaits from people about how strict it is. Never signed up myself though.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/modules/Jig/index.php

Don't see a problem with that :)

staceyd72
01-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Wow, i wouldn't got that far, more like Kijiji/Craigslist for GTA aquarists :lol:
Canreef would be more like Canada's ReefCentral :biggrin:

Too much yelling over on AP :question:

aquarium pros is sorta Canada's reef central.

A lot of the local GTA 'hardcore' reefers sell/trade frags by word of mouth, mainly to avoid the hassle of 'no shows' and 'low-ballers'. Once you get to know the local reefers you won't have problems getting quality frags; sorry I don't have anything available at the moment :smile:

Here's a local ad http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81891

phi delt reefer
01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Wow, i wouldn't got that far, more like Kijiji/Craigslist for GTA aquarists :lol:
Canreef would be more like Canada's ReefCentral :biggrin:

Too much yelling over on AP :question:

A lot of the local GTA 'hardcore' reefers sell/trade frags by word of mouth, mainly to avoid the hassle of 'no shows' and 'low-ballers'. Once you get to know the local reefers you won't have problems getting quality frags; sorry I don't have anything available at the moment :smile:

Here's a local ad http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81891

should have been clearer - its like RC in terms of strictness, definately not in terms of info. when the site owner just berates noobs for questionable stocking on every thread its hard to appreciate what else the community can possibly offer.

DAVE
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
You should try Reef Escape. Not too many people on that site yet, but it does have some really good members. Very friendly and knowledgeable forum.

Most of the AP sponsors are also on Reef Escape, so you can still stay in the loop with the specials/shipments.

mike31154
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
You just gotta get crackin' & have some of the other Ontario hobbyists join this forum. With the higher than avg population in that province, shouldn't be too difficult. Goes for any other provinces that may be under represented here. Tell your friends!

shrimpchips
01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
There's a few small Ontario forums - I think there's one in the Ottawa area, one in the Peterborough area, and another in the Hamilton area.

As for the GTA, like was said before, AquariumPros is like the Kijiji/Craigslist. Not much forum content, but most go for the classifieds.

Also check out GTAaquaria.com - it's a fresh/salt forum and there tends to be a bit more "discussion" than over on AP. There's a lot more SW folks over there now so it's worthwhile to check out (disclaimer - I'm a mod there).

staceyd72
01-12-2012, 05:56 AM
I didn't realize RC was really strict, though I have not spent much time on there in the past few years :neutral:
I agree about the noobs; God forbid if you don't have 1.5-2lbs/gallon of live rock - doomed for failure from the start :lol:

should have been clearer - its like RC in terms of strictness, definately not in terms of info. when the site owner just berates noobs for questionable stocking on every thread its hard to appreciate what else the community can possibly offer.

Agree, GTAaquaria is also a great site with some great discussion and no yelling, (disclaimer, I'm not a moderator or affiliated with the operation of the site :smile:)
There's a few small Ontario forums - I think there's one in the Ottawa area, one in the Peterborough area, and another in the Hamilton area.

As for the GTA, like was said before, AquariumPros is like the Kijiji/Craigslist. Not much forum content, but most go for the classifieds.

Also check out GTAaquaria.com - it's a fresh/salt forum and there tends to be a bit more "discussion" than over on AP. There's a lot more SW folks over there now so it's worthwhile to check out (disclaimer - I'm a mod there).

JBen
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
New guy in town (tank just got filled this weekend), thought I'd pipe in.

Reason number one I'm reluctant to participate there. Its good for information so I'm lurking, absorbing as much information as possible (and suffering information overload). So to me anyways, its useful site but not one I want to dip my toes into, it seems to be very "theres only one way to do things and its it's my way or the high way". Not very welcoming.

Also signed up there, it appears to be fairly inactive in the SW sections.
I find it odd, for as large as Ont and the GTA is, you'd think there'd be more. Even retailers don't seem plentiful, particularily if your in the East.

nc208082
01-29-2012, 11:02 PM
I thought i'd give this site a try again. I agree with what a lot of people say about AP, but i found the exact same treatment here. When i first joined this forum a while ago i tried to speak in a post or two and because i had knowledge of leds i made a recommendation, right away i was accused of just promoting that company and my opinion didnt have value. Turns out the company i was recommending being orphek turned out to be one of the best.

Second i was scolded and had my posts deleted for recommending a place to get corals from because a few people here had a bad experience with this guy. Yet i know tons of people who purchase from him regularly and its amazing.

I'd like to give this site a try again meet some fellow Ontario/Gta reefers.

*I will admit i find myself guilty of questioning people when they say they have a tang in a 65gallon though,

bluesox68
05-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Glad I found this site just for this section lol, Just got back into the hobby went on to old faithful "AP" and it was dead. My few simple questions got no responces. So lets hope some more Southern Ontario people can start tradding frags with me from ths site. As soon as I got here I checked the classifides and my jaw hit the ground until I found out none were in Ontario lol

Cheers

NorthernCoral
05-31-2012, 04:41 AM
There is so many reefers in Ont it amazes me that there are not more on here..Used to be thousands on ap at a time but now theres bearly any so where did everyone go?? Im from Ontario originally but didnt find out about canreef till I moved out here. lol

DAVE
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Glad I found this site just for this section lol, Just got back into the hobby went on to old faithful "AP" and it was dead. My few simple questions got no responces. So lets hope some more Southern Ontario people can start tradding frags with me from ths site. As soon as I got here I checked the classifides and my jaw hit the ground until I found out none were in Ontario lol

Cheers

I have lots of nice frags

All at reasonable prices.

FrenchAchilles
05-31-2012, 12:53 PM
for the Ottawa area, we have ovas.ca is the local site.

wickedfrags
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
How so?

Canreef has more daily members, active members, and likely more posts in one day than they have all week. All for good reason. Now that one sponsor is not posting shipment info on the other site there is no reason to be there at all really.

aquarium pros is sorta Canada's reef central.

jroovers
05-31-2012, 01:36 PM
AP seems to be slowing down traffic wise. I'll be looking to this forum more frequently to share.

PFoster
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
You should try Reef Escape. Not too many people on that site yet, but it does have some really good members. Very friendly and knowledgeable forum.

Most of the AP sponsors are also on Reef Escape, so you can still stay in the loop with the specials/shipments.

Agreed!
Reef escape is a smaller site currently but everyone is very friendly.
Hope to see this site grow as we really need a decent web page in the GTA.

deeznutz
06-01-2012, 02:25 AM
I have tons of sps frags if you are interested, drop me a pm :)

I'm an AP purist. I hate the site, but it's my go to place for local stuff. Theres only one problem over there and its the "fish nazi". We all know who I'm talking about. lol

I've been here for a little while but I don't visit all that often. Maybe I'll start :)

-dan

bluesox68
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah I started the thread over there about why its slow and it kind of wentin a bad direction!

jroovers
06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Yeah I started the thread over there about why its slow and it kind of wentin a bad direction!

I saw that. It seems like a lot of threads are going in that direction over there. Might explain why traffic seems to be getting slower. The "if you don't like it, leave" mentality is unfortunate.

redddogg
06-02-2012, 11:40 PM
What's up Bluesox. Tom had me banned from that site lol that and "the fish nazi" read some PM's I sent to people looking for flavio's new store. Send me a pm here and I will send you my email. He also burned all my install threads at least the ones posted under my user name, but of course not the ones I posted under ORG lol.

bluesox68
06-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey buddy! Fun times in the org days eh! How's your system?

redddogg
06-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey buddy! Fun times in the org days eh! How's your system?

Lol last system you were around for was 4 tanks ago. Shoot me a pm and I will fill you in on the deal these days. Adam

chandigz
06-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Just wanted to say welcome to the site. Things are pretty laid back here.

bling_bling466
06-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Well I'm happy people like the thread I was a little iffy when posting.......I've met, lots of good people from this post and find this is best forum as forngood people and not being a d%%%s.... Great to be here....aquarium pros is good for lfs and that's about it plus classifieds:lol:

XxreeffreakxX
06-28-2012, 05:35 PM

This could have been my fault ... ooopsie ( reefer_newb ) on Ap , Im glad we all found a new place that seems to be a little more " dont like it , leave " free .. I apologoze to you bluesox about the direction that post went .

Anyways Im glad to be part of canreef and hopefully we can get this ontario super wide reef meet going ..