PDA

View Full Version : HELP LTA WONT TAKE HOLD

Wetback
02-23-2004, 05:33 AM
We purchased a beautiful purple lta on Saturday,did all the usual stuff and placed in our tank...Very pretty but he won't plant himself :frown: He blows up like a balloon and floats all over.I am sure this is fun BUT we are afraid he will puncture or something..We tried to corral him in a cozy and placed a rock to try and wedge gently but tonight he JUMPED :eek: Please someone share some advice on what to do..tks in advance Norberto/Tina

EmilyB
02-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Find a nice sandy crevasse between a couple rocks, and keep the flow on it minimal for now. :smile:

Wetback
02-23-2004, 05:38 AM
Thanks Deb, we will try :rolleyes: Norberto/Tina

Quinn
02-23-2004, 05:39 AM
Ooo photos photos photos!!! Love those purple LTAs.

Wetback
02-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Sorry Quinn but the only picture we could give you right now would be a REAR view :eek: red not purple...but will do once he's seated somewhere..

MitchM
02-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi Tina and Norberto,

Is this LTA going into the same tank as the BTA's that you have?
I've heard that different species of anemones don't always get along too well.

(also, this thread should probably be moved to the REEF forum...)

Mitch

Wetback
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Mitch, yes this is in the same tank.We asked the fellow at Golds and told him what we had in the tank and he said there would be no problem :confused: Is this why he does not want to take hold??? Still loose this am but not rolling just kinda sitting. As far as moving the thread i will have to ask Norberto to do as i have no idea how SORRY. Tina :redface:

MitchM
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't know for sure that they won't get along, but because I know about your BTA situation, I thought I would mention it. Tony's is one of our resident experts, so hopefully he'll pipe in.
I don't think whether or not it attaches to the substrate is an issue with the BTA's, I imagine that is an acclimation issue. Give it time.
Moving threads is a moderator-only thing. :smile:

Mitch

Bob I
02-23-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't currently have a LTA, but as far as I know they do not attach to rocks, but bury their foot in the substrate, and attach to the bottom glass. At least that is what my LTA did. I dug a hole in the sand, and placed its foot there. Then piled the sand back around it. It never moved after that. It worked for me, but the flow was also low in the area. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
02-23-2004, 04:26 PM
It seems to me that unlike other species, LTA's prefer a slightly subdued current. Deb has had good success with this species so I would definitely defer to her judgment here. I agree with her and the other posts so far with suggestions for placement, i.e., crevasse, burying foot in sand, etc. If you could create a "bowl" where it could sit and not be blown about the tank that would be good.

I'd consider turning down some of the current (if you have a lot) until it is reasonably established, or perhaps rework some of the aquascaping to create an area of gentler flow. Unfortunately, due to the handling methods during collection/shipping/retail process, anemones are stressed by the time they get home to us, and so sometimes the first while after purchase can be a bit harrowing. They may need to be watched carefully and have us take appropriate steps if something doesn't appear to be working.

I think there is a potential for interactions between other anemones. Whether this is happening here, is hard to say, and I would have to guess that the answer is "probably not", i.e., more likely due to shipping stress and acclimating to new environment. I think the risk of negative interactions is diminished among larger tanks (more water volume), and, there seems to be no predictability whether two anemones will coexist or not. I.e., it's quite conceivable that you can go for years and years without some kind of latent behaviour suddenly surfacing. That said, I have had trouble keeping anemones in the same system. Keep in mind that my tanks are a lot smaller than some, my largest tank being 75 gallons. I think to be safest, anything less than 100g might want to be "one anemone per tank" (or one set of clonal siblings, if dealing with a splitting species like BTA's) and for tanks more than 100g, only one or two, and watch carefully.

monza
02-23-2004, 04:26 PM
My LTA is attached to rock in a moderate/light flow area. He just went there and has been there for some time. I tried to corral him and it worked so keep trying.

Dave

AJ_77
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Mine (Deb's) prefers to be backed into a corner, foot in the sand but up against a large rock or two also. I did prepare a shallow depression in the sand when it came to me, and that seemed to help.

It has moved since, in response to high current. It's now backed up against a rock wall, in moderate/low flow.

HTH, let us know how it does - if this goes on much longer, I may have to "sit" it for you...

:biggrin:

Quinn
02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
My LTA is also rooted in the sand, up against a large rock. It put its foot down the night I brought it home, and has moved approximately 6" from that original location, most likely also due to current adjustments. The flow in its current location is just enough to cause the mass of tentacles to sway gently essentially in unison.

Wetback
02-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input...I just got home from work and he is still in the same place we left him this am but not rooted in any way.We will try the sand depression to see if this helps him along..OK !!! Norberto will try the sand depression to see if this helps him along. :rolleyes: And Allan if we don't have any luck you will be the first we ask to "SIT" for us :lol: tks again Tina