PDA

View Full Version : There's a new "tank" Sheriff in town - FLIPPER

BigAl07
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
There's a new "tank" Sheriff in town - FLIPPER

Flipper Cleaner | Flipper Cleaner. The best aquarium cleaner on the market. (http://www.flippercleaner.com/)

This new scraper/cleaner is coming to market later this month and I think it's going to be a big hit. I hope to have one in hand in the next few days to review. The inventor is a friend of mine, avid reefer and one smart guy.

Once I get one in hand I'll let yall know how it works. I suspect it's going to be better than it's predecessor and I LOVE that unit.

Lampshade
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
NICE! I will for sure be getting one. It will allow an extra 1/2"+ of growth from some of my corals that keep getting trimmed via magfloat! haha. sad, but true :(

BigAl07
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
As soon as I have one in hand I'll get some time using it and let everyone know how it works. If it works HALF as good as it's predecessor it's going to be awesome.

Reef Pilot
01-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I have one that looks just like that, called a Mag Flip. Don't like it though, as it tends to skip and jump on the glass, and doesn't clean well.

Chin_Lee
01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Hmmm nice looking product. Too bad i just bought a new mag float but won't stop me from buying and trying this one too!!!

BigAl07
01-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Reef Pilot what size glass is this used on?

This is "VERY" similar to the Mag-Flip (which I've used for 2 years now with a custom blade) but I can 100% assure you it's a great improvement over your current scraper. Mag-Flip is no longer in production and this is it's replacement. The designers have been on the drafting table for months improving upon the old design and if it pans out this will be a great product.

All I ask is that you keep your mind open and don't judge it on the Mag-Flip. They are not the same animal just very similar.

Reef Pilot
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I was using it on my smaller aquariums, 1/4 inch glass, I think. I guess I had too high expectations when I bought mine. Had to go back to the old fashioned way of using more than one scraper. Let us know how the new one works.

BigAl07
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I was using it on my smaller aquariums, 1/4 inch glass, I think. I guess I had too high expectations when I bought mine. Had to go back to the old fashioned way of using more than one scraper. Let us know how the new one works.

I sure will. One thing I can tell you for sure.. the "Metal" blade works like a champ on all but the toughest coralline build up. If used before it completely cakes on the metal blade will chip away at it and you wont get your hands wet. That's with the older version so I'm expecting this one to be even better.

I'll post updates once I have the sample in hand.

Lampshade
01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
If this works it will be good. It's funny, the thing i spend most time on in the tank is cleaning the glass, and it's also the thing i've probably spent the least amount of money on.

cale262
01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Looks good but I think it would be nicer if the wet side floated...

BigAl07
01-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Looks good but I think it would be nicer if the wet side floated...

True but wouldn't that defeat the "Flip" process? It drops very slowly and I've yet to "lose it" and have to go fishing. I'm not saying it can't/wont happen but thus far it hasn't happened.

Reef Pilot
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm surprised you said the scraper worked well for coralline algae. That's where I was most disappointed with mine. It didn't have enough pressure on the glass for that. I had to get out my old Kent one for that.

cale262
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
True but wouldn't that defeat the "Flip" process? It drops very slowly and I've yet to "lose it" and have to go fishing. I'm not saying it can't/wont happen but thus far it hasn't happened.

I don't think so, it would be better to rise slowly IMO, easier to retrieve in the high flow, deeper tanks without getting out the wetsuit and snorkel. Even my Tiger Shark has gotten away from me & caught by the current... but it just floats to the top, easy peasy to catch from there..IMHO

BigAl07
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I surprised you said the scraper worked well for coralline algae. That's where I was most disappointed with mine. It didn't have enough pressure on the glass for that. I had to get out my old Kent one for that.

Keep in mind I was using a "Custom" metal blade on mine. That made a HUGE difference to say the least. I took a few pics of my process when I got the Mag-Flip model a couple years ago.

Here you can see the beginning build-up of small Coralline "Spots"
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/Equipment/Reviews/Mag-Flip%20100/IMG_6206.jpg

Here's the same picture, roughly same angle & distance but after just a few minutes of scraping with the Mag-Flip.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/Equipment/Reviews/Mag-Flip%20100/IMG_6208.jpg

As you can see it completely removed the "spots" but I do stress it was very early on and they weren't "Connected" yet and only a single layer thick. This system isn't designed to remove those areas that haven't seen a scraper in 3 years. That takes some elbow grease and sometimes a snorkel LOL!

cale262 with all due respect it sinks very slowly allowing you time to see it, react, and reconnect to it. Maybe floating would be better but I'd imagine that would impact some of the other needed features of the product (size, strength etc).

mseepman
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
I too own the Mag-flip and couldn't be more disappointed in a cleaner. It had no strength, even on 1/4" glass my nano-magnet cleaner cleaned better and the plastic scraper didn't clean anything...and I mean NOTHING, it was just there for decoration.
If the magnets were strong like in the Tiger Shark, or even a Mag Float this would probably be a good idea.

cale262
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Another benefit to floating is it won't get any sand/debris stuck in the pads when it hits the bottom, that would possibly scratch the glass/acrylic after capture.

Not cutting the product down, just playin devils advocate here.

lockrookie
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
i will wait and see the results before i give an opinion.. had something like it not long ago