PDA

View Full Version : help with nano reef

jbjack
01-10-2012, 02:08 AM
hey guys, pretty new to saltwater, but have had a tank going (90g) for almost a year, and have been very successful, mind you I have only kept easy stuff lol.

anyways I bought a jbj nano 28g. just the standard kit, with power compacts as all my coral will do just fine with that. I have a couple ideas, and was looking for advice with them.

reef wise, I have 2 aussie acans, frogspawn, finger leather, toadstool leather, a few different mushrooms, a fuzzy mushroom, gsp's, clove polyps, small pineapple, small purple maze, sun coral, multiple zoa's, magician palys, aussie duncan, and im suresome other im not remembering right now.

I want a rose bta, i know they get big but im hoping to give away splits and what not over time.

so should i just make the reef all my coral, or do a bta dominated tank, with just some of the coral i have...

i plan to stock with 2 clowns, 3 purple fire fish a shrimp goby pair, and maybe a small blenny.

which route should i go, i really love the bta. what is my best option

its 105 watt power compact lighting.

Nano
01-10-2012, 02:14 AM
if you want the nem build your tank around it IMO. they are lovely

intarsiabox
01-10-2012, 03:04 AM
The only problem with BTA's is that they move around a lot until they find a happy place. During their search they can get pulled into powerheads and filters. If they are big enough this can cause a lot of damage to a small tank. They are however pretty hardy and if they are not torn to shreds they will most likely recover.

Ginu
02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
I'd make sure if the compact light is enough for BTA's.

lorenz0
02-03-2012, 07:04 AM
I have kept BTA's under compacts and it split into 3 one night. For sure can do it but imo way to much of a pain. BTW this was in my BC14 with stock lighting straight out of the box

ever considered going a LED upgrade?

Ginu
02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Well I think it's a different story to run compact fluorescent lights 10k in a 14 then it would be to run them in a 28 :)

I have been thinking to start my sw experience with a regular nano, but it seems it's a better bet to pick up the led one or the hqi.

claymax
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
i gutted my jbj28 and threw in some leds from modular led. it all fit in the original canopy and i replace those noisy a$$ fans with one big quiet one.
all for around half the price of the jbj brand led upgrade

lorenz0
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Well I think it's a different story to run compact fluorescent lights 10k in a 14 then it would be to run them in a 28 :)

.... i'm being told otherwise by someone who has only read info on the net. lol Trust me man, BTA's don't need that much light. I have actually seen some impressive tanks that were lit only by CF lighting, not that i'm saying that they are great buy they are enough to get by with some corals. 1 piece of advice i'll give you, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Facts on forums are based of personal experiences.

That watt/gal crap should be thrown out the window. biggest garbage rule I have ever heard.

Ginu
02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Well... everyone has different experiences with this hobby not to mention different size wallet since SW is not a cheap sidekick.

I've seen a guy maintain two tangs in a 25g tank which is not recommended but the guy is still doing it...

lorenz0
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
lol sorry i have a bad case of sarcasm. but i agree, this hobby is not cheap