PDA

View Full Version : HRV CFM volume

mseepman
01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm currently building a new house and if you've seen my build thread, there is going to be about 400 gallons of water plus in the house.

We're putting a HRV in the house (commercial quality, not residential quality) but I'm only pulling air from two areas (in order to save some dough). One spot will be from within the canopy of the Display tank, the other will be from my Fish room.

My builder has asked me which of two cfm levels I wish to go with on the HRV. Either 60cfm or 90cfm. The key is that the 90 will be a lot louder than the 60 and I really am striving for quiet.

Given the limited scope that we are pulling air from, am I wrong to go for the quieter 60 cfm?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

KevinK
01-10-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm currently building a new house and if you've seen my build thread, there is going to be about 400 gallons of water plus in the house.

We're putting a HRV in the house (commercial quality, not residential quality) but I'm only pulling air from two areas (in order to save some dough). One spot will be from within the canopy of the Display tank, the other will be from my Fish room.

My builder has asked me which of two cfm levels I wish to go with on the HRV. Either 60cfm or 90cfm. The key is that the 90 will be a lot louder than the 60 and I really am striving for quiet.

Given the limited scope that we are pulling air from, am I wrong to go for the quieter 60 cfm?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I will watch this as well, as I'm aboutto buy a unit as well, but wonder the same,

maybe you want to ad the sqft of the house, # of bathroom's and how many will live in it,

i have bin googling it as well, but struggle a bit with defining how much air flow as well,

I dont know, as I have not checked it, but would you be able to turn a 90 unit back to 60, and if you find you need more flow, you bring it uo a bit ?

wingedfish
01-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Air noise is a product of velocity. 90 cfm would be nothing for noise through 2 4 inch vents. Up that to 5 if your concerned. For comparison, bathroom exaust fans are generally 50-100 cfm through a 4 inch pipe.

mseepman
01-10-2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The reality is that normally the sq footage of your house, bathrooms, occupants, etc is very important to sizing the HRV. We have sized it already (though the heating company did this). In this situation, I don't really have the HRV for the main purpose of giving some fresh air to the house, we're focusing on getting that humidity out of the house quickly. Only the two areas with tanks will have vents. The return air will vent to the living room on the opposite side of the area from the tank.
I'm still leaning towards the 60 cfm as i think will be enough.

hillegom
01-10-2012, 04:05 AM
I don't know if this will help, but...

I bought a house that already had an HRV installed.
There is a control unit in our hallway. It has two speeds on it and an off.
So it is automatic, I just control what speed I want it to run at.
No idea of the cfm of the unit.

bkelly
01-10-2012, 05:07 AM
hey Mark I got the Lennox 200 HRV, if you want come over and get an idea of the noise with blower and with furnace/blower , the unit is quiet we can hear the air flow from the return vents at night but its just a muffel , no mechanical noise. PM me if you want to drop by.
brent
Kelowna

mark
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
considering the advantages of a HRV even without a tank makes me wish I did a whole house HRV system when building. In the big picture of building a house really saving that much by limiting only to fish room and canopy?

Something I would also confirm, is it ok to be drawing warm salt air through the unit?