PDA

View Full Version : New to Reef's and SW

Beano1169
01-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Hey there, I have done a bit of reading and have been researching and putting together my setup slowly. I am curious If a moded Aquaclear 110 (refugium)(550gph) and a Koralia Nano power head (240gph) will be good enough to run a sumpless 25Gallon Nano tank?

I am new to salt water but not to fish keeping, I am low budget and also hoping to do something very cool with my tank in the coming months. I also have a 346W LED T5 and MH lighting system (Odyssea) for my lighting and am hoping to do a few softies (finger leathers, mushrooms, maybe zoas, and really want a xenia) and maybe a few LPS (mainly want 1 Frogspawn), Please if your able too I would be greatful for some feed back and guidence for getting this set up. I am still in the process of Creating a fish list but I am set on a pariing of Ture clowns (perculas)(black or snowflake types), Cleaner shrimp, scarlet & electric blue hermits & turbo/ astrea snails (for clean up crew) so far, other options im considering but open too are like gobys, dotty backs, royal grammas, small wrasse's, I wouldnt mind trying worms but I hear they arent exactly beginner types and if so I wouldnt be able to get an emerald crab haha.

Thanks for any info. Enjoy the hobby :mrgreen:

Beano1169
01-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Well It would seem the True Clowns need a bit more room so I dont mind setteling with the Ocellaris counterpart.

Beano1169
01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a question, is 1/4" glass alright for a 25 gallon saltwater?

Coralgurl
01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi and Welcome to the site, great people here!

I'm sure some of the more experienced reefers will be able to answer your questions!!

reefwars
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a question, is 1/4" glass alright for a 25 gallon saltwater?

should be, but it all depends on height of the aquarium and what your doing for bracing?

personally would never build out of 6mm but lots of people/factory do id go with 10mm if it was me but 6mm will hold.

i like the 10mm not only for added insurance but because i am accident prone and tend to run into and drop stuff in my tank alot lol

Beano1169
01-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info, I will have it basically on just an aquarium stand fitted for the tank. The demensions of the tank are 23.6" L X 13.7" W X 15.7" H, will this effect anything, will I need thicker glass?