PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Mag....

pshea
01-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I am constanly adding mag to my tank, every night I add 9 tsp. The higest I have gottin it is 1200ppm, I know I can get it up to 1340ppm say but I am really getting sick of having to add everynight. I tested my salt mix and it came out to 960ppm:neutral:, the only salts I have access to here is Instant Ocean and Coralife, I just switched to Coralife and my sps seem to be liking it better (thats good), but I switched because it was claimed this mix had 1247.5 ppm Mag, here is the link:

http://sites.google.com/site/reefsaltanalysis/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf?attredirects=0

I was thinking of going with H2Ocean salt mix and was wondering if anyone here is using it?, or if anyone has any advise on maintaining a good mag level without having to order this supplement all the time....

e46er
01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
You shouldn't have to add it nightly ......
Faulty test kit?
I use instant ocean adjust it when mixing before a Water change and add very little monthly
Mag is not consumed very quickly

Maverick00
01-08-2012, 10:19 PM
you add 9 tsp a day? i add 2 tsp to 10gallons of IO @ 1.026 every water change. id double check you test equipment as well something seems off.

Cal_stir
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
i was using IO and switched to H2Ocean but i did not like it, you have to mix the dry mix before you use it because it settles out, i also found it left a lot of residue in my container and left a reddish brown residue on my sand bed, i have switched to IO Reefcrystals now.
I dose mag daily with a dosing pump, still had to dose with H2O but less, i dose 20ml/day with reefcrystals which tests @ 1200ppm mixed and it maintains my mag at 1350ppm

pshea
01-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Ya I thought that as well and bought a second test kit, they are both salifert, maybe I'll get a third and try (Elos), but both the salifert kits are reading the same.

pshea
01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
i was using IO and switched to H2Ocean but i did not like it, you have to mix the dry mix before you use it because it settles out, i also found it left a lot of residue in my container and left a reddish brown residue on my sand bed, i have switched to IO Reefcrystals now.
I dose mag daily with a dosing pump, still had to dose with H2O but less, i dose 20ml/day with reefcrystals which tests @ 1200ppm mixed and it maintains my mag at 1350ppm

Cal_stir, thanks for informing me about the H2Ocean, as two buckets where going to cost me 260 by the time they got to my door, not really something I wanted to start doing.
What Mag are you using? and how much are you mixing a day tsp wise?

viperfish
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM

What size tank? How much calc/alk are you dosing daily?

pshea
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
What size tank? How much calc/alk are you dosing daily?

Is this for me or cal_ster?

viperfish
01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Is this for me or cal_ster?

For Cal_Stir... I was just curious.

Cal_stir
01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
i have a 90g lps dominent mixed reef with a 80g sump and 20g gium, i think about 120g total water vol.
i dose 70ml/d ca, 75ml/d alk, 20ml/d mag.
i use DOWFLAKE for ca, baked baking soda for alk as per Randys two part recipe and BRS mag as per randys two part recipe.
i use a bubblemagus doser
i keep my ca @420, alk@ 9dkh, mag@ 1350ppm