PDA

View Full Version : Coralgurls tank build 180 - it's ALIVE

Pages : [1] 2

Coralgurl
01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey everyone, I finally get to have a build thread! This is a bit early to start as i wont be picking up the tank till later this week but I'm so excited, sitting here planning and thinking. I expect to have the tank up and running within the year so loads of time for planning.

As I have only been reefing for less than a year with my 55gl sump less system, I have a LOT to learn going bigger and would like some input on equipment. Currently have the following:

Tunze 9011 skimmer rated to over 200 gl
Mp 10 and 40
Illuminex LEDs and 2x 54 wt t5ho
Hob refugium

Obviously lighting is going to have to change. I really like what the LEDs have done for the tank since adding, I know a lot of you have been switching over, thoughts, pros, cons?

I'm guessing another mp 40...?

In my current set up I've been trying every coral, sorties, lps and sps. Not
much luck with the sps and not sure if I will really get into them (for now) but
obviously want the option.

So....what else should I be looking at?

My other question is flooring. The space where the tank will be going is carpeted, will likely pull it out and tile it. I've read a few threads on tile floors and the concerns...Thoughts?

When we get the tank home, will post pics, have an idea of some of the mods we will need to make.

Thanks and I look forward to all comments and suggestions.

Reefie
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Oooh.......this sounds exciting! Getting another MP40 would be a good idea, but depending on how much actual flow you're looking to achieve. You might actually be ok with the MP40 and the MP10 that you already have.

I'm gung-ho on LED's, however that will really depend on your budget and if you want the dimming option that the newer units have. I have 2 Illumilux units retro-fitted in my little BC29 plus I added a "few" Ecoxotic Stunner LED strips to fill the area that the Illumilux doesn't reach. I think I honestly went a little overboard on my lighting.

I can't wait to see pics.

Good luck on the build!

Coralgurl
01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm running the 10 at 100% and the 40 at about 45%, also have a koralia 750 to move water on the surface and this seems more than enough on the 55. My big issue is getting all water storage out of sight and right now we are debating where to put it. Our basement is partially developed with a bedroom right under where the tank will be. I'd rather have the sump and everything in the basement, but would mean running a lot of extra plumbing. He's talking about an additional cabinet to house the water...hmm.

From what I've seen with the led units, will likely need at least 2 for a 6 ft tank, possibly 3? That gets pricey.... I'm also wondering about controllers, if necessary?

Cal_stir
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
i had a mp10 on a 90g with 3/8" glass, it barely held on and my turbo snail kept knocking it off.

Nano
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
DIY LED kits are probably cheaper in your case, and I assume your tank is probably braced in the center, so the middle light would get a lot of shadows created in the tank if it was the case. If your seriously considering LED I would message Martin about a DIY kit He can throw things together t suite your needs for whether or not you will keep softies/lps/sps, what color requirements you want, dimming, controllers etc. awesome guy to talk to about this. from what I have heard MP40s are awesome but for the money I head a lot of people say Tunze is the way to go. I personally have no clue about that though.

Good Luck I look forward to watching your build!! I will be doing one in a few weeks too!

Coralgurl
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Well, I got my tank, not the 135, but a brand new 180 gl, plus a sump (don't have the dimensions yet) and metal stand. Tank and stand were delivered yesterday, have 3 very strong guys to thank for safely getting it in the house! I have to pick up the sump from Red Coral this week, its a 5 footer..Thanks to my amazing boyfriend and family who made this happen!!! Hope they continue to support the addiction!

Here's the pics!

tank and stand

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0666.jpg
left overflow

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0667.jpg
right overflow

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0668.jpg

Where it will actually be placed.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0669.jpg

Coralgurl
01-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I went out today to look at wood both for skimming and to place the tank on. Will have to wait until later this week for the boyfriends truck, I really don't want it sitting on the floor. Its all predrilled so we are hoping to start the plumbing this week. I was thinking this would take more time, but may have it going sooner than expected. Water in a month????

I see many of you designing layouts, what program are you using?

Hoping for any suggestions you can offer!

gregzz4
01-15-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm not so sure that desk will hold your tank :rolleyes:
But seriously, that's a great lookin' setup so far.
You, IMO, will need more in tank flow than the 3 powerheads you have now, but I'd be inclined to leak test everything first and see how you like it before you buy more.
As far as the tiling goes, I'm the wrong guy to answer it for you, but I do know it's doable as long as it's done right. Otherwise you'll destroy the tiles.
I'm not familiar with your skimmer, but many are over-rated, although some are close. You'll probably end up with around 160g DT plus your sump, so you'll just have to try it and see. It's a good brand, but I know not of it.
Some tips;
-fasten your PVC to the stand to alleviate stress on the glass
-use flexible or 'spaflex' hose where you can to alleviate stress and vibrations
-if your sump is not already baffled, plan it well, then think about it for days. Then plan it again. Many of us wish we had thought it through more our first go 'round
-some members have used 'rare earth' magnets to hold the stand skin on. Works great as far as I have seen
And I'd highly recommend you leak test everything with tap water. Completely fill everything to where it will be and let it sit/run for a day or more. That's a lot of RO water to waste if you have issues :mrgreen:

gregzz4
01-15-2012, 11:24 PM
OH, one program out there is Google Sketchup

Coralgurl
01-16-2012, 12:13 AM
The desk will be moved, it's not part of the tank :lol:

Leak test will happen once we're ready for water. Thanks for the suggestions on the plumbing. I know nothing about this so I'm reading as much as I can and looking at other builds. Ya, at 2 hours per 5 gallons for ro water, not going to chance filling the tank without testing.

The sump has a top off section, 3 baffles and room to add a refugium. I will post pics once I get it.

We may just leave the carpet and not change it out.

I'm not going to rush out and buy anything at this point, will get everything transferred and then see what needs to be changed/upgraded.

Was so excited last night, couldn't sleep, thinking about everything. I so want to do this right!

gregzz4
01-16-2012, 01:10 AM
The tile idea is good as you have more control over spillage and spray, so don't bail on the idea yet.
I can't do anything about my carpet as the tank is in the livingroom and we just had the whole house re-carpeted.
I haven't slept right since the end of October when I decided to sell all my FW gear and go SW, so I know Exactly what you mean.
Can't fall asleep, wake up in the middle of the night thinking, get up after 1 or 2 hours, pull 36 hours straight ...
I'm getting close though, so hopefully, once I get my rock 'cooking' and all the plumbing/electrical done, I'll sleep normally again as I am absolutely Bagged :wacko:

lockrookie
01-16-2012, 01:29 AM
looking good i will say that the euro bracingismaking me re think a few things.. i willbe following i may be bugging you for a few measurements atyur conveinence tho :)

fishytime
01-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Looking good Sheena!.....I know exactly how exciting this stage of the game can be.....and somewhat overwhelming for a first time reef tank builder.... Like I said at the shop, feel free to PM me if you need/want to..... And have fun:wink:

fishoholic
01-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Hope they continue to support the addiction!

Muahahahaha little do they know what they are getting themselves into :razz:

Seriously though that's awesome, congrats and good luck with the build :biggrin:

Coralgurl
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Hmm, electrical - going to have to take a look at this bit. My current set up is a bit of a mess....

Lockrookie - If I can answer your questions, I'll be happy to, as long as you can answer mine :biggrin:

Thanks Doug, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be bugging you! Will be stopping by this week I'm sure as we want to get started on the plumbing.

Laurie, all they keep asking me is how much everything costs and what I've already spent on my little tank (which looks super small now).

Question - how thick should the plywood and foam be for the base? Picking up today, can find 1 inch foam (was told to get 3/4 inch), is this too much?

Also, boyfriend wants to plumb an overflow for the sump directly into the house plumbing. Has anyone else done this? There are plumbing lines in the wall behind where the tank will be going so this is where he wants to go. I'm researching like crazy and I haven't found anyone who has done this.

I hope you all don't mind if some of these questions seem silly or dumb, this is my first build ever and going to need loads of help and input!

Thanks

ensquire
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Question - how thick should the plywood and foam be for the base? Picking up today, can find 1 inch foam (was told to get 3/4 inch), is this too much?

I would say that a minimum of 5/8 plywood but 3/4 is ideal. I believe that all pink foam boards are 1". as long as it's dense foam I would say that 3/4 would be OK.

Cal_stir
01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Also, boyfriend wants to plumb an overflow for the sump directly into the house plumbing. Has anyone else done this? There are plumbing lines in the wall behind where the tank will be going so this is where he wants to go. I'm researching like crazy and I haven't found anyone who has done this.

I have my skimmer drain plumbed in, make sure you use a trap to prevent smell from backing up

Coralgurl
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
The sump is coming home tonight. I'm going to start it by keeping things simple for now. The wood for the stand has been sealed and plumbing will start this weekend. I've ordered my lights, going with the radians, should be here next week!! Ive got a tunze 9011 skimmer which I will use to start up and see how it performs in the sump, but will upgrade if needed. My mp40 has crapped out so I'm sending it away for repairs, as it's still under warranty. Will be adding one more once tank is running. I've also started a fish list but it's too soon to worry about yet.

I will need more lr, got 60lbs in the 55, picked up another 30+ lbs last week. I'm thinking 30 lbs lr and 50 lbs base rock and new sand to start the cycle. Will not be transferring current sand as it's too fine. How much sand do I need? I am loving the wrasses, so a sand bed is needed.

Will post pics as things start. What else should I be thinking about to get going equipment wise??
Thanks

Coralgurl
01-26-2012, 03:29 PM

This is the sump I am working with 60x18x18. It has a section for auto top offs, water in, baffles, skimmer and return section. What if any mods would you make? My thoughts are to add live rock/sand, but add a separate compartment for the refugium, simply block of the end with eggcrate and add some chaeto. This is my first sump so I'm not sure what I should do if anything. If changes are made, its not coming home today:sad:. Thanks for any help/suggestions

kien
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM

This is the sump I am working with 60x18x18. It has a section for auto top offs, water in, baffles, skimmer and return section. What if any mods would you make? My thoughts are to add live rock/sand, but add a separate compartment for the refugium, simply block of the end with eggcrate and add some chaeto. This is my first sump so I'm not sure what I should do if anything. If changes are made, its not coming home today:sad:. Thanks for any help/suggestions

My suggestion would be to swap the in and out compartments. That is, make the "in" compartment bigger than the "out" compartment. Reason being, by placing your skimmer and potentially other media reactors in the "in" compartment your bubble trap will trap potential bubbles from your skimmer and reactors. However, if you place your skimmer in your "out" compartment as you have it now you have nothing to stop/reduce bubbles that may be ejected from your skimmer from getting into your display.

reefgirl189
01-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Exact size of my new sump! lol :)

Not sure if you're a refugium type of girl or not but at this stage of the design it's easy to accomodate for one. You may want to think about it for nitrate control. Of course there are other nitrate control methods, but the fuges are just so cool!

What kind of sand are you thinking?

Also let's see that fish list!!

Coralgurl
01-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks Kien, that's what we are going to do! Kevin at RC kindly helped with the plumbing layout drawings tonight, so hoping to get it started!

Reefergirl, are you redoing everything?

I do like the refugiums, I can still add one in, along with a mod for filter socks.
Def a courser sand, the stuff in my current tank has all blown to one side and the front is now bare. I haven't looked at brands yet...not going with all live tho.
Ummm, fish list is at work, got a little distracted :razz:
Without being overly specific
Wrasses
Blue powder tang
Brown powder tang
I so would love a trigger-reef safe if possible, think these are cool looking fish but need more research
That's all I remember atm
Of course my current fish, 2 sebae clowns, royal gramma, solar wrasse, cardinal.

fishytime
01-27-2012, 02:33 AM
sorry I missed your pm(was at work)......but ya, +3 (Kien, Kevin)......the big section would be great for whatever skimmer you ever decide to go with......have your drains dump as close to the outside edge of the big compartment as possible......if you want to run filter socks, a holder could be done with glass or acrylic or even eggcrate.....skimmer then fuge/spare rock (partitioned off from the skimmer with eggcrate).....bubble trap then return.....a nice tunze ATO and Bob's your uncle:biggrin:

reefgirl189
01-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks Kien, that's what we are going to do! Kevin at RC kindly helped with the plumbing layout drawings tonight, so hoping to get it started!

Reefergirl, are you redoing everything?

I do like the refugiums, I can still add one in, along with a mod for filter socks.
Def a courser sand, the stuff in my current tank has all blown to one side and the front is now bare. I haven't looked at brands yet...not going with all live tho.
Ummm, fish list is at work, got a little distracted :razz:
Without being overly specific
Wrasses
Blue powder tang
Brown powder tang
I so would love a trigger-reef safe if possible, think these are cool looking fish but need more research
That's all I remember atm
Of course my current fish, 2 sebae clowns, royal gramma, solar wrasse, cardinal.

Well... we are doing a few changes. Like you, I have the most awesome boyfriend in the world. It was actually his idea to get an aquarium in the first place. Little did he know!! LOL But this is your build thread!! Let's talk more about you and your set up.

What do you think about the niger trigger? I'd love to get one of those when the time is right. I know they don't have much for color but they just look so majestic.

And what are your plans for the first tank? Are you going to keep it up like it is right now or are you going to do something different? Sell it off to pay for the new baby?

I'm sand shopping too at the moment. We have the bare bottom right now and I don't like it. Sometimes I wish there was a magic calculator you could plug all your dimensions and equipment into and it would tell your options are for sand, rock, what your potential future upgrade options are, etc. Maybe one of the more tech-savy vendors on this site could create one.

Coralgurl
01-27-2012, 03:43 AM
sorru I missed your pm(was at work)......but ya, +3 (Kien, Kevin)......the big section would be great for whatever skimmer you ever decide to go with......have your drains dump as close to the outside edge of the big compartment as possible......if you want to run filter socks, a holder could be done with glass or acrylic or even eggcrate.....skimmer then fuge/spare rock (partitioned off from the skimmer with eggcrate).....bubble trap then return.....a nice tunze ATO and Bob's your uncle:biggrin:

That's the plan for now! Will modify as we go if needed! The bf is trying to complicate things....gotta reign him in lol. Thank you!!

Coralgurl
01-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Update your build thread!:lol:

The Niger trigger is gorgeous but aggressive and not reef safe. I want a peaceful community tank, with a bigger tank, there's so many choices! I saw a couple gorgeous butterflies and angels tonight but again not reef friendly!

I want to turn the little one into a pony tank but bf says I have to take it down. I don't see why I can't have 2 tanks...will see, our office is moving this spring, maybe move it there, drive the boss crazy!

There was a recent thread on sand types here, or just start one. I've been reading a ton on skimmers, pumps, lights. I learn it as I need it otherwise it makes no sense.

Will post updated pics over the weekend!

Well... we are doing a few changes. Like you, I have the most awesome boyfriend in the world. It was actually his idea to get an aquarium in the first place. Little did he know!! LOL But this is your build thread!! Let's talk more about you and your set up.

What do you think about the niger trigger? I'd love to get one of those when the time is right. I know they don't have much for color but they just look so majestic.

And what are your plans for the first tank? Are you going to keep it up like it is right now or are you going to do something different? Sell it off to pay for the new baby?

I'm sand shopping too at the moment. We have the bare bottom right now and I don't like it. Sometimes I wish there was a magic calculator you could plug all your dimensions and equipment into and it would tell your options are for sand, rock, what your potential future upgrade options are, etc. Maybe one of the more tech-savy vendors on this site could create one.

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Tank is on the stand! Woot!! Question - the wood was cut to the stand but the tank is about an index finger wider than the stand if placed flush on one side and the end. Obviously we can move it so the overhang is less but is this an issue?? The tank does have black trim but the overhang is slightly more than the trim.

lockrookie
01-28-2012, 12:45 AM
center it even on all sides you will be ok

unclesalty
01-28-2012, 01:10 AM
The sump is coming home tonight. I'm going to start it by keeping things simple for now. The wood for the stand has been sealed and plumbing will start this weekend. I've ordered my lights, going with the radians, should be here next week!! Ive got a tunze 9011 skimmer which I will use to start up and see how it performs in the sump, but will upgrade if needed. My mp40 has crapped out so I'm sending it away for repairs, as it's still under warranty. Will be adding one more once tank is running. I've also started a fish list but it's too soon to worry about yet.

I will need more lr, got 60lbs in the 55, picked up another 30+ lbs last week. I'm thinking 30 lbs lr and 50 lbs base rock and new sand to start the cycle. Will not be transferring current sand as it's too fine. How much sand do I need? I am loving the wrasses, so a sand bed is needed.

Will post pics as things start. What else should I be thinking about to get going equipment wise??
Thanks

Nice looking tank you have! Good light choice and you will be happy with the Radions. How many are you ordering?

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Going with 3 radions.
Thanks, the set up looks even better now...here's a pic. Because the tank was brought straight inside the house when delivered, I was not allowed to paint the back of the tank. Will pick some backing and see how that looks. will also be cutting back the foam under the sump. Plumbing this weekend....omg I'm excited. Will post pics as we go...

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0712.jpg

lockrookie
01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=Coralgurl;676007]Going with 3 radions.
Thanks, the set up looks even better now...here's a pic. Because the tank was brought straight inside the house when delivered, I was not allowed to paint the back of the tank. Will pick some backing and see how that looks. will also be cutting back the foam under the sump. Plumbing this weekend....omg I'm excited. Will post pics as we go...

QUOTE]

you can still paint the back of the tank with a brush and roller and regular house paint.. have you not had toscrap that off windows while painting lol it ill work. dont do abackground you will hate it and once its filled there is no turning back and redoing it. just get some latex paint of your choice and a small roller cover yur floor with something and have at it.

unclesalty
01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
3 Radions is the perfect match for your tank. I bought 4 for mine only because I have the centerbrace which I might do away with and then sell the 4th Radion-still deciding. That sump looks awesome too as you can never have a big enough sump it seems like. My sump is a 4ft 75g but wish it was bigger!

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Oh, I'm so going to paint the back then. Bf has hockey duty in the morning, I will go and get paint and start before he gets home. Just have to convince him to move the tank away from the wall tonight...My daughter took my car tonight otherwise I'd go now!:lol: never scraped paint off windows but I'm really good at painting weird borders around ceilings!

There's not a lot of room left under the stand for anything so will have to buy something to hold supplies and stuff. I'm happy with the sump and not getting complicated!

The lights are going to be sweet. Hoping the lighting will give me better results with sps!

toxic111
01-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Another choice would be to use vinyl the size of the back of the tank from a sign shop. Self sticking , and fairly easy to put on, & remove in the future if you need too.

lockrookie
01-28-2012, 03:29 AM
vinyl is a great idea except for bubbles if you dont get them all it will annoy you i tried just black backing and hated it. also used black formica which was a good idea until salt creeped behind it and i cant clean it.

mseepman
01-28-2012, 03:33 AM
The tank build is looking good! Nice clean simple sump. Looking forward to seeing some life in this with those Radions.

fishytime
01-28-2012, 03:45 AM
background, smackground:mrgreen:......I always just tape on the vinyl background that you can buy at most pet stores .....to me the time and effort spent for something that will be for the most part hidden by aquascaping and then is eventually covered by coraline algae(unless you are ambitious enough to clean the back glass) is better utilized doing something else.....or maybe Im just lazy:biggrin:

The Grizz
01-28-2012, 03:50 AM
I have to ask where you got the tank & stand from?

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 04:05 AM
I have the black vinyl on the 55 and I hate it. I was considering doing it on this one simply bec i think it would be easier to put on with more access behind the tank. I cut out around my power heads and skimmer and i've got bubbles in it that reflect in pictures. Im lucky on the 55, only have a few spots of coralline on the glass and never clean it off the back, nothing on the sides so I see how crappy the back looks....besides I can do that myself, plumbing, not so much:lol:

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 04:09 AM
I have to ask where you got the tank & stand from?

It's from northwest glass products in edm. Is the stand one of yours?

The Grizz
01-28-2012, 04:20 AM
I believe it is, does it have adjustable screws in the corners? Was the guy you got if from Neil?

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 04:23 AM
Yup it does.

The Grizz
01-28-2012, 04:27 AM
I thought I recognized it right down to the crappy shrink wrap job :lol: Congrats on being the proud owner of a Grizz stand :thumb:

Coralgurl
01-28-2012, 04:35 AM
I was hoping it was one of yours! Yes crappy shrink wrap job left lovely patterns in the paint, but I know it was rushed! It's unique :razz:

The Grizz
01-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Ya I got a little preoccupied with some other stuff, had the stand built but not painted yet. I usually like to let the paint set for 2 days but it wasn't an option so it was only overnight.

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 01:58 AM
I picked up some latex paint, cleaned the glass with rubbing alcohol and started painting. I just finished the third coat and the paint looks like it's crackling. I can see it on the other side of the glass, looks like wrinkles, but can't see through it. Did I do something wrong? It's been 8 hours between 2nd and 3rd coats. If the paint will hold I won't worry about it, but worried it will peel over time.

Thanks

lockrookie
01-29-2012, 02:01 AM
might be the rubbing alchohol best test isletit dry overnight and see if it flakes off with scratching

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 02:09 AM
I'll wait and see what it does....grrr

Picked up plumbing supplies today but didn't start bec of the paint.

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 02:13 AM
I use a Rustolium spray paint to do the back of tanks, clean glass with straight vinegar & razor blade first. I have tried latex paint but it usually looks like crap.

lockrookie
01-29-2012, 02:24 AM
i hope it work out for you ill feel bad if it doesnt :(

Cal_stir
01-29-2012, 02:24 AM
I used Krylon spray paint, works great

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 02:32 AM
I thought because the rubbing alcohol was suggested when dealing with resiliconing (which I've had to do) that it was ok for cleaning the glass....frick....well will see what the morning brings....

Couldn't spray the back bec tank is in the house, didn't think it was a good idea.

fishytime
01-29-2012, 02:33 AM
ya, latex doesnt adhere very well to hard surfaces like glass, metal, or plastic.....krylon is designed differently to adhere to harder surfaces

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 02:37 AM
i hope it work out for you ill feel bad if it doesnt :(

Don't feel bad, it's an adventure, learning new things comes from messing things up and trying again. Not worried about it, just might slow things down a bit...:biggrin:

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 02:44 AM
You can do it in the house Sheena just do it in small stages, a couple feet at a time, mask off the side and chuck some paper on the floor. Krylon or Rustolium will give you a nice smooth finish.

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Well if I can get a pic of how it looks will post, I'm sure it's going to peel off. Start over tomorrow sometime....

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Ha, that was easy, I just scraped the paint off it 10mins. Will spray it instead.

reefgirl189
01-29-2012, 03:17 AM
It looks awesome so far. Can't wait to see pics of it full of water!!

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Will spray it instead.

That a girl Sheena, grab the bull by the horns & show it who BOSS :lol:

unclesalty
01-29-2012, 07:12 AM
ya, latex doesnt adhere very well to hard surfaces like glass, metal, or plastic.....krylon is designed differently to adhere to harder surfaces

I agree latex isn't the greatest for glass. Krylon is what I use and most other people use

lockrookie
01-29-2012, 07:30 AM
im sorry that was my fault i figured it would stick well since i seem to aways have it stick to windows after i paint...sorry sheena for wasting your time.and money onthat idea i feel bad

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 02:32 PM
im sorry that was my fault i figured it would stick well since i seem to aways have it stick to windows after i paint...sorry sheena for wasting your time.and money onthat idea i feel bad

Honestly, it's ok! You never know until you try something if it will work. I had read about using krylon paint but bec the tank is in the house, I didn't want to spray. I'm a messy painter so it seemed like a viable option.

The bf picked up some plumbing supplies yesterday but couldn't find everything so it wasn't going to get started anyway. :biggrin:

Please don't feel bad!!

Aquattro
01-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Couldn't spray the back bec tank is in the house, didn't think it was a good idea.

I've done that before, you're right, it's not a good idea. :razz:

Coralgurl
01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Well I will give it a try today, will cover everything and just take it slow! One problem I see is my jealous dog wanting to be in the thick of it :biggrin:

Bunch of errands and rv show today so will happen later.

Coralgurl
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Spray painting in the house is NOT a good idea....but it's done and must say I did a pretty good job! Realized today that there is black dust on every surface in the house. Good thing I'm playing hooky today, get it cleaned up before anyone notices!

lastlight
01-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Spray painting in the house is NOT a good idea....but it's done and must say I did a pretty good job! Realized today that there is black dust on every surface in the house. Good thing I'm playing hooky today, get it cleaned up before anyone notices!

About 10 years ago I sprayed the back of a 45 black in a small room of my apartment with the door shut and window open in winter. Crazy not-smart to put it politely... I wanted to contain the fallout to one room. Sounds like you at least spread the nasty around a lot more square footage which is a plus lol.

Coralgurl
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
The tank is in the office/dining room, no doors. I covered the floor around the tank but didn't notice the dust till I went to bed. Had the window open but still gave everyone headaches....:redface:

Here's a question...to look at the tank, I can't see through it, but when a light is held behind it, I can a bit. Will this matter when the lights are hung?

lastlight
01-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I think that's very unlikely. It will be somewhat darkish/shaded behind the tank so my guess is you won't notice.

Coralgurl
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Perfect, thanks Brett!

Coralgurl
01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Plumbing started yesterday, few issues (main overflow into sump too short, emergency drain too long). Otherwise, thoughts?

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0732.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0731.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0739.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0736.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0737.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0738.jpg

globaldesigns
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed this or commented, but no foam under the tank? Is there a reason? I thought it was always recommended in order to remove possible stress points. Same would go for the sump also, if there is no foam.

parkinsn
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed this or commented, but no foam under the tank? Is there a reason? I thought it was always recommended in order to remove possible stress points. Same would go for the sump also, if there is no foam.

Depends on how the black plastic trim is. If its flush to the bottom, then I would say yes. If it has that gap underneath, then no.

Seriak
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah I think her base is trimmed in Plastic.

Coralgurl
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
It is trimmed in plastic. I noticed last night that I could actually see a gap between the tank and the wood - hope that's ok. I had read someone's else's thread on the foam and with the trim its not needed.

There is foam under the sump, needs to be trimmed, but right now it covers the entire base of the stand.

Coralgurl
02-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Filling tank with water for leak test! Will start playing with rocks to see how things look for aquascaping, hopefully we're salty by the weekend!

Coralgurl
02-06-2012, 02:45 AM
I have picked up 80 lbs of live rock, 135 lbs of sand, ato, a heater, and more salt. Got the aquascaping done today, added the sand and am now filling the tank with ro water. My mp40 wet side has been replaced (thanks Dave) and I pulled my skimmer out of my 55, cleaned it (now soaking in vinegar to get the coralline off) and will get it in the sump tomorrow. We have some plumbing mods to do but nothing major. I have 60 lbs of live rock in my 55 that will get added after it cycles but still need approximately 40 lbs more. I also did a water change tonight and added that water.
This is what I'm starting with, is there anything I've missed? Should I add salt as the tank fills or wait?

Oh, I also picked up 3 radions, set for lights, just working on how to hang them.

Will post pics tomorrow.
Thanks

The Grizz
02-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Hey Shenna, i have a better thought on the light hanger for ya, simple clean and easy. i will try to sketch it up tonight & send it to you.

Coralgurl
02-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks Greg, I tried sketching something up but it looked crappy! Looking forward to seeing what you've got!

fishytime
02-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Im know that Greg can build you a kisk arse hanger for your radions, but here's what I did....... $70 for a pair or "TEK" legs $60 for a chunk of solid wood(for your size of tank) and a jigsaw.......slap on some of that black spray paint:wink: on it and .......

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6006.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6008.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6009.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6010.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6011.jpg

The Grizz
02-06-2012, 03:47 AM
How's this for an ider?

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/63f93a05.jpg

Coralgurl
02-06-2012, 04:39 AM
How's this for an ider?

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/63f93a05.jpg

I like it! Close to what I was thinking but my idea had feet that could slide under the stand. I like it attaching to the legs, adjustable for height!

Will send a pm!

Coralgurl
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
pics of aquascaping - I did move the centre bit out from the back, there are smaller rocks that I just put in and will move once I get more rocks in.

Thanks for looking

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0760.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0758.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0756.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0767.jpg

globaldesigns
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Looks Great so far!

lockrookie
02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
lookin good and making me jealous....

Coralgurl
02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys for the comments! I'm pretty excited but still nervous. Its a bit of a relief that things can slow down now.

I still have to find a couple of brute cans. We are going to move the r/o unit downstairs, then run the water lines up through the floor. My dad and I will skin the tank but won't start until it warms up, he's got a great workshop, but he can't handle the cold.

Lockrookie - I can't wait to see how yours progresses, I'm not nearly as creative or patient, I know yours will be spectacular and well worth the wait!

lockrookie
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
My dad and I will skin the tank but won't start until it warms up, he's got a great workshop, but he can't handle the cold.

Lockrookie - I can't wait to see how yours progresses, I'm not nearly as creative or patient, I know yours will be spectacular and well worth the wait!

im with dad not fond of the cold thus why i have to be patient.. inside its killing me

and now you are putting the pressure on to perform lol i hope its spectacular but it could be an epic fail as well.. only time will tell. still in search of someone willing to cut the glass i want.

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Tanks and sump are almost full, started adding salt, have to get my skimmer in the sump tonight. Question regarding water level in the sump, we know the max/min but what's optimal? Right now the water is over the middle baffle and is even in both the incoming and return chambers. Is this ok or is it too much water?

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 02:13 AM
when you fireup your return pump you will lose water from sump to start the circulation you will see the sump lose water and then from there you willbe able to figure out proper hieght to keep it at. be sure there is enough room for when power outages happen you dont flood the sump fire up the pump again mark line max hieght then your all good

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 02:41 AM
We just have to add the return lines in the tank then finish filling. I got the skimmer in the sump but I'm already thinking it needs to upgraded, but will give it a shot to start.

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 02:45 AM
We just have to add the return lines in the tank then finish filling. I got the skimmer in the sump but I'm already thinking it needs to upgraded, but will give it a shot to start.

Your height of your return line outlets will also determine how much water flows back in the sump during a power outage. I like the locline, that way you can adust the height to where you want it.

Nano
02-09-2012, 02:45 AM
I like it! Close to what I was thinking but my idea had feet that could slide under the stand. I like it attaching to the legs, adjustable for height!

Will send a pm!

this is what we came up with for my tank, greg did an awesome job, and I think he's think of a similar Idea for yours.. not to hijack, just a good visual reference for what he was saying
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSCN2553.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSCN2558.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSCN2556.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSCN2562.jpg

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 02:54 AM
Your height of your return line outlets will also determine how much water flows back in the sump during a power outage. I like the locline, that way you can adust the height to where you want it.

I don't know what you mean by Iocline :redface: we have lines that bend and can be directed....is that what you mean?

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't know what you mean by Iocline :redface: we have lines that bend and can be directed....is that what you mean?

Yes that sounds like you have loc-line.

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Ahh yes that sounds right...will add more pics once they are installed. Couldn't find black connectors so painted them, they are drying, won't go on until tomorrow.

Almost a year in the hobby and still such a newb....lol

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 03:14 AM
you can be 20yrs n hobby and still be a noob dont sweat it. just keep moving forward

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
It's alive!! Finally have pump and skimmer going. Needs a couple more hours to fill, but have enough water to move through the sump. Just need to fill the over flows a bit more, sounds like a bathtub draining..lol. Added a bit more salt. Cant wait to get the lights on it to see how it all looks, but so far i think its not too shabby!! Thanks for all the help so far! Will add shrimp later tonight to kick start cycle!

reefgirl189
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
It's alive!! Finally have pump and skimmer going. Needs a couple more hours to fill, but have enough water to move through the sump. Just need to fill the over flows a bit more, sounds like a bathtub draining..lol. Added a bit more salt. Cant wait to get the lights on it to see how it all looks, but so far i think its not too shabby!! Thanks for all the help so far! Will add shrimp later tonight to kick start cycle!

Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

As for the cycle, why don't you just pee in there instead? :mrgreen: You may need to add more than one shrimp due to the size of that beast.

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
prodibio has a good cycle start system

unclesalty
02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I am looking forward to seeing those 3 Radions on a 180g !
Also I would go with them in artificial mode until the natural mode software is updated soon as there is too much green at the begining and end of cycles.

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

As for the cycle, why don't you just pee in there instead? :mrgreen: You may need to add more than one shrimp due to the size of that beast.

Ewww that'd be weird, peeing in the tank....I'm ok with not giving that a try :lol:

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 10:46 PM
prodibio has a good cycle start system
Cool, more research....not sure what that is....but will look into it!

Coralgurl
02-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I am looking forward to seeing those 3 Radions on a 180g !
Also I would go with them in artificial mode until the natural mode software is updated soon as there is too much green at the begining and end of cycles.

As soon as I get the stand, lights will be on! Good heads up on the light mode too, I've pull one out of the box, turned it on and that was it. Will wait till I get em hanging to play around. I added some sand from my current tank and accidentally dropped in 2 snails, fished them out, they seem ok.

reefgirl189
02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
LOL! I realize now that my comment may have come off as a bit strange but I was referring to this thread, for those of us who'd read it:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79867

Coralgurl
02-10-2012, 01:22 AM
LOL! I realize now that my comment may have come off as a bit strange but I was referring to this thread, for those of us who'd read it:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79867

Funny thread but think I,ll stick with shrimp.

:lol:

Coralgurl
02-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Met with The Grizz (Greg) today to pick up the light stand he built for me and he did an amazing job! Thank you so much Greg! We got the lights on and programmed them already so no pics till they come on tomorrow. Have to fix the spacing on the lights as well as hide the cords but overall very happy! I also picked up an ato that needs to get installed, topping this one up with jugs is not fun! I picked up more lr this week but will finish the aquascape when I transfer everything, so it's in the sump for now while the tank cycles.

Temp is at 79.4
Salinity1.024
Ammonia .25
Haven't tested for nitrites/nitrates yet

Ongoing plans to have the ro and salt water mixing in the basement and pump up to the tank. Now talking about moving the 55 to the basement as well and keeping as a qt tank.

Seriak
02-19-2012, 04:30 AM
I can't wait to see the pictures. I think I may do something similar.

The Grizz
02-19-2012, 05:06 AM
I can't wait to see the pictures. I think I may do something similar.

Here's a sneak peak set up on a stand I had in the shop.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/317993bc.jpg

Great to meet you & Jason today Sheena, can't wait to see the rig on your tank.

ensquire
02-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Here's a sneak peak set up on a stand I had in the shop.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/317993bc.jpg

Great to meet you & Jason today Sheena, can't wait to see the rig on your tank.

Wish you lived closer when I see gem builds like that...

Coralgurl
02-19-2012, 04:38 PM
light stand by Greg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0799.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0800.jpg

Coralgurl
02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0797.jpg

The Grizz
02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
WOW!! Looks even better with the fixtures on it. Nice coverage of light from end to end too.

unclesalty
02-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Both lights and light stand look awesome!

unclesalty
02-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Any chance of a pic with the lights running lengthwise just to see the difference if there is any difference in coverage??

Coralgurl
02-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Any chance of a pic with the lights running lengthwise just to see the difference if there is any difference in coverage??

No, the bar holding the lights doesn't rotate, so can't turn, but that's a great suggestion. The light coverage on the sides of the tank isn't great, need to move the fixtures over about an inch or so on each end.

unclesalty
02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
O ok no problem. It just looked in the pic to appear to be able to rotate. Just like Ecotech told me -3 fixtures really do look good on a 6ft tank!

Seriak
02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
That looks amazing. Exactly what I would like.

Coralgurl
02-19-2012, 05:31 PM
They look awesome!! The 4 on your tank will look wicked! Gregs stand is perfect, keeps it clean looking as I don't want a canopy. We set the lights on the default artificial for now. Was surprising how dirty the glass was once it was lit up, need a bigger mag float lol

Coralgurl
02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
That looks amazing. Exactly what I would like.

Get Greg to build you one. Everything is really tight so nothing will move around unless you move it. Really happy with it! I picked up the radion hanger kits and this stand is about the same price, well worth the investment! Will be returning the kits!

Rice Reef
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0797.jpg

Very nice set up and the light stand is def. amazing... Wish the idea of the light stand came up three months sooner... I would have def. prefer to have one made but mine are now set up hanging over the tank.

Can't wait to see fish and corals in your tank...:biggrin:

unclesalty
02-20-2012, 04:43 AM
They look awesome!! The 4 on your tank will look wicked! Gregs stand is perfect, keeps it clean looking as I don't want a canopy. We set the lights on the default artificial for now. Was surprising how dirty the glass was once it was lit up, need a bigger mag float lol

I probably don't need 4 fixtures but this way I won't have to have them cranked up as high which I hear increases their life span then. I am not into the canopy thing either myself and Gregs stand looks way better than a canopy IMO. I am just going to go with the Ecotech hanging kits which I still have to order 2 more of.

fishytime
02-20-2012, 04:56 AM
you got those things blazing at 100% in those there pics there Girly?

Coralgurl
02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
you got those things blazing at 100% in those there pics there Girly?

Yup they were. Turned everything down to 30%, didn't think it mattered with nothing but rock in the tank..lol

Fixed up all the cords today, noticed a funny worm on the glass. Ammonia is almost a 0.0 well test for nitrites/nitrates today, but it's only been a little over a week that it's been running.

lockrookie
02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
my wife is urging me to not do a rock wall on my build she likes the black background. im just tired of scraping the back glass but maybe ill have to do a mix of the two. i know some ppl let the back wall go with coraline algea but my wife dislikes that as well lol i cant win.

Coralgurl
02-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Women....it's weird bec I don't have any coraline algae on the glass of the 55 gl at all but my lr is covered and very purple/red! The snails seem to keep things very clean and as much as the Mexican turbos are like bull dozers knocking things around, they do a great job. I really like the black background but also don't mind tanks I've seen with the back glass covered.

Are you working on the tank now?

lockrookie
02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
tank is still in garage pending finding a place to cut the glass i need no one seems thrilled about making the eurobracing. it really is killing me and causing me to over think issues lol.

its all good tho i still have the 90 running and i can live through your build thread for the time being lol which is looking great..btw

Coralgurl
02-20-2012, 07:55 PM
That sucks about the eurobracing, try Dave at concept and see if he can help out, although I'm sure you are looking for someone local.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm happy with how things are going. Not happy with my skimmer ATM, not sure if it should be skimming or not, it's not. What are you planning on using?

lockrookie
02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
i did talk with dave they didnt seem interested in shipping too badly. most likely due to the fragile nature of the glass. just suggested that i drive to calgary to get it.. kinda hard with 7 month old twins:( but ill figure it out even if i have to get a wider piece and cut it myself with a tile saw.

for now im going to keep using my vertex in-180 thats currently running on my 90. it was overkill for the tank but it will be barely good enough for the 180.. will upgrade down the road. there is no reall bioload in your tank at this time you just have water and dry rock once you add liverock it will start skimming more.

Coralgurl
02-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Hope the eurobracing works out, you seem pretty handy, probably easier to do it yourself :lol:

All my rock is lr, the base rock was live, plus I just added more lr to my sump this week, only one batch of rocks was dry but was in someone elses sump, which is why I figured the skimmer should be doing something...probably need to pull it apart to make sure everything is connected and didn't pull loose when we set it up.

fishytime
02-20-2012, 08:58 PM
. i know some ppl let the back wall go with coraline algea but my wife dislikes that as well lol i cant win.

hand her the scraper:razz::mrgreen:

lockrookie
02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
hand her the scraper:razz::mrgreen:

lol that wont happen..

pyke
02-21-2012, 04:01 PM
The tank is looking great Sheena. I really like the Radions and the rockwork. Great job.

Coralgurl
02-22-2012, 01:16 AM
The tank is looking great Sheena. I really like the Radions and the rockwork. Great job.

Thanks Brian, haven't added your rock yet, its in the sump for now.

Got home tonight and checked the tank, noticed my sand is turning brownish! I have diatoms!! :lol: just tested and nitrites, nitrates and ammonia all at 0.0. Seems a bit soon.

Love the radions! Think it's on sunset atm lights are dim, blue and red! Can't wait to see what it looks like with corals!

Coralgurl
02-26-2012, 04:36 PM
I almost added a cleanup crew yesterday and happy I didn't. Checked ammonia and it's back up to .5 this morning. I'm doing a large water change on the 55 today And use this water for a water change on this tank, will vacuum out all the goop in the sump. Fiddled around with the skimmer again and it's done. Wish I didn't have this dumb cold...not making things easy....:sad:

Coralgurl
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
The transfer is complete!! I am so happy with how things look, the fish are exploring (except the clowns, they are hiding behind some rocks). My disappearing wrasse settled in quite well.

I still have loads to do still. I need to build a little stand for my skimmer (which is oversized for the tank but I'm dealing with this). I also need to put some eggcrate on the overflows, water level is high, expecting to have fish take a dive! Also have to get the ATO running, but have been waiting to get everything set up in the basement. Definitely need another powerhead, so will be picking up an MP40.

I'm waiting for pics to load to photobucket....will post as soon as they are ready.

Coralgurl
03-03-2012, 08:27 PM
pics - these arent the greatest photos as I have to head out, but wanted to get them up.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0899.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0896.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0892.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0893.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0894.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0895.jpg

reefgirl189
03-03-2012, 08:54 PM
That looks great!!

How far off the water do you have your radions? Are you happy with the spread?

Coralgurl
03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
The radions are 11" off the top of the water. The sides of the tank are def darker so I tried to put everything to match lighting requirements. Everything opened up and nothing is looking upset. All the colors are popping on the corals and the fish are checking out all the space!

The Grizz
03-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Looks great Sheena, nicely done.:thumb:

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Those 3 Radions look awesome and more than enough for a 180g! No "dark/black" corners,very minimal spotlighting and very nice colouring with no t5 supplements needed to achieve it!

Coralgurl
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Those 3 Radions look awesome and more than enough for a 180g! No "dark/black" corners,very minimal spotlighting and very nice colouring with no t5 supplements needed to achieve it!

The radions are great and I am AMAZED at how different the corals look under these lights, was running 2x54w t5ho's and LED's and the colors just pop now! I'm not at all a "techie" person so programming the lights has been a bit frustrating, but the more I play, the more I figure out.

I wish I could get decent pics as these ones are really washed out. I killed the battery on my camera yesterday, so will try again tonight.

The Grizz
03-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I bet your coral all look a lot smaller in the 180 compared to the old tank.

Coralgurl
03-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Much smaller in the bigger tank! I felt like I had no more room for anything in the 55, now the 180 looks empty. I'm thinking of changing some of the rocks around a bit on the right side, and moving my bubble and button corals, they are getting blasted. This tank needs more fish!!!

The Grizz
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
How are you liking the flow excelleraters?

Coralgurl
03-06-2012, 12:53 AM
In all honesty, ive never had this type of set up before, so I have nothing to compare to. I have restricted the return pump so I don't know how much I'm actually pushing into the tank. I increased it on the weekend for more surface movement, think I need to fiddle some more.

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 01:05 AM
The radions are great and I am AMAZED at how different the corals look under these lights, was running 2x54w t5ho's and LED's and the colors just pop now! I'm not at all a "techie" person so programming the lights has been a bit frustrating, but the more I play, the more I figure out.

I wish I could get decent pics as these ones are really washed out. I killed the battery on my camera yesterday, so will try again tonight.

Yes thats one thing I noticed too is the Radions really make a persons corals "pop" out. Yes the programming takes a while to figure out and to get the right colours and intensities set up but well worth it!

Coralgurl
03-06-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm hoping the Mac and wireless features come out soon, will make things easier. I have to use the bf's laptop and he's impatient when I have it.

Back from holidays, time to start your build!

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm hoping the Mac and wireless features come out soon, will make things easier. I have to use the bf's laptop and he's impatient when I have it.

Back from holidays, time to start your build!

Yes I can't wait for the mac compatibility as thats all I own now. I have to borrow a laptop to change settings if I need to but no need to change anything right now. I haven't gone on holidays yet but it won't be long now. My Reeflakes came the other day and was offered a 90g to use for the transfer so I will be ready to continue the build in a few weeks when I'm back!

Coralgurl
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Nothing overly exciting to update... I added another mp40 as I had my one set on full, but noticed the other side of the tank had very little flow. I've got algae on the sand, not seeing much on the lr though. Think this is mostly due to new tank syndrome. I also added a blue hippo tang last night. She's still sleeping in the rocks so hopefully once the lights come on, she'll come out. Today I'm going to build a frag rack and stand for my skimmer with egg crate. I added some birds nest frags and they are bleaching, so need to get them lower for a bit. I'm also going to start gluing other frags as they seem happy with their placement. I finally get the wet armpits...lol

Cugio
03-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Wow you must be quite excited now that you can get that full wave action going. Sync it with your lights and this is one sweet tank.

Coralgurl
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow you must be quite excited now that you can get that full wave action going. Sync it with your lights and this is one sweet tank.

I might just try that :lol: I didn't have the ph synced previously but had them on the same setting. If the bf can give up the laptop, will see what I can come up with...

Coralgurl
03-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Well, time for a photo update. Tank is ugly with cyano at the moment....but all fish and corals have adapted well to the larger system. I finally have my ATO hooked up, I LOVE this piece of equipment. Haven't added much livestock since the transfer, but couldn't resist a new orange/red/green/yellow brain and a neon torch. Also had to add a hippo tang.

All photos taken without a flash, still trying to figure out camera, but its getting better :biggrin:

Right Side
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0106.jpg

Left side
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0092.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0087.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0075.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0065.jpg

Button - thought this was a cool shot as the flow caught and gently lifted the side
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0063.jpg

Orange Hammer - this guy has grown quite a bit in the last couple of weeks! Thanks Snappy!!
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0056.jpg

One of my new faves!
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0051.jpg

Neon Torch - don't think its happy in this spot..
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0038.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0113.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0024.jpg

Nano
03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
wow looks great!!! :razz:

Coralgurl
03-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks Kenny!

Thought I'd add another pic I found of the button from last August, I thought I'd post just to compare to the one above. Crazy growth! It barely touched the sand here and I would see the base at night. I haven't seen the base in months now, even when I moved it the fleshy bits hung over the sides.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_1700.jpg

MarkoD
03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
looks good. but why did you face your radions like that? it looks like you're shinning light onto the wall in the back.

wouldnt it be better if they were parallel to the front glass?

Seriak
03-30-2012, 12:33 AM
I believe she has them setup in the recommended way. At least I hope she does as mine are facing the exact same way.

MarkoD
03-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I believe she has them setup in the recommended way. At least I hope she does as mine are facing the exact same way.

does the light shine beyond your tank tho? like onto the floor or the wall behind?

Seriak
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Yes they do. At the recommended height of around 8" above the surface you do get some light on the wall, but that is expected as they have no optics to focus them down like the AI's.

MarkoD
03-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes they do. At the recommended height of around 8" above the surface you do get some light on the wall, but that is expected as they have no optics to focus them down like the AI's.

but if you turned them parallel you'd get more light in the tank..... isnt that the goal?

Seriak
03-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Hmm you may be right. I have seen them hung both ways. I don't know if it really matters considering the amount of light that they put out already. Most people have them turned down to 50% so losing a little off the wall shouldn't be a big deal. I may have to do some reaserch on this one. Can anyone else chime in?

Techincally it's 24" X 24" coverage so it shouldn't matter as the light spread is the same either way.

MarkoD
03-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Hmm you may be right. I have seen them hung both ways. I don't know if it really matters considering the amount of light that they put out already. Most people have them turned down to 50% so losing a little off the wall shouldn't be a big deal. I may have to do some reaserch on this one. Can anyone else chime in?

Techincally it's 24" X 24" coverage so it shouldn't matter as the light spread is the same either way.

it obviously does matter. look at the fixture logically. its rectangular shaped. theres no way the coverage area is a square

Seriak
03-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Then why advertise it that way. Why not say the coverage area is 20" X 30". I would ask ecotech, but their site is currently down.

MarkoD
03-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Then why advertise it that way. Why not say the coverage area is 20" X 30". I would ask ecotech, but their site is currently down.

lol do you believe everything that you read and do everything that is recommended?

Seriak
03-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Of course! Don't you? "Always look on the bright side of life"

lol do you believe everything that you read and do everything that is recommended?

gregzz4
03-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Thanks Kenny!

Thought I'd add another pic I found of the button from last August, I thought I'd post just to compare to the one above. Crazy growth! It barely touched the sand here and I would see the base at night. I haven't seen the base in months now, even when I moved it the fleshy bits hung over the sides.

Wow here too
It looks great.
Have you tried reading through the photography section? There are some good tips there about ISO, shutter speed and such.
Good luck with the camera.
I'm lucky as my Sony will, with the flash off, take pics in rapid succession and stitch them together.

MarkoD
03-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Of course! Don't you? "Always look on the bright side of life"

no. i try things and form my own conclusions and opinions.

sorry this is getting off track.

but im pretty sure it wont hurt to turn the light and try it out.

subman
03-30-2012, 01:13 AM
I have mine turned running parallel with the tank and still have some light spillage in back and front. still less than I had with the halides

coralgurl the tank looks great!

Seriak
03-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Okay last reply regarding the lights.

I turned them and yes there was a bit less light spilling out the front and back. But in my 4' X 2' tank there was no discernable light change in the tank. I don't have a PAR meter to measure though. But visually it looked the same. I guess it depends on the size of your tank.

And yes Coralgurl, you tank is looking amazing. I promise not to hijack it again. You were the inspiration for mine.

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 01:35 AM
No worries on the lighting comments, I hung them this way as it's the way I saw them on Daves tank at concept. They are all spaced evenly across the top, I wanted good front to back coverage, and I don't notice lights spilling over. I'm already noticing coral growth, zoas that were melting in the other tank are sprouting babies etc. Plus I've got a healthy batch of cyano....:lol: dispute the red slime, really enjoying this tank!

Thanks for the comments!!

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Yep, I've gone thru the photography section, looked at websites for aquarium photography etc, it's getting better. I didn't turn off the flow, so that doesn't help. More practice but actually thinking of taking a course.

reefgirl189
03-30-2012, 02:10 AM
I think your tank looks great, girl!

What's going on with the old 55?

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 02:16 AM
I think your tank looks great, girl!

What's going on with the old 55?

I just added an eel!! He's so freakin cool! He's dug out under one big rock a lovely cave and tonight he's digging under another, quite the sandstorm happening! Can't get a pic yet, he's being shy!

gregzz4
03-30-2012, 03:09 AM
I just added an eel!! He's so freakin cool! He's dug out under one big rock a lovely cave and tonight he's digging under another, quite the sandstorm happening! Can't get a pic yet, he's being shy!
Oh, I SO hope your rocks are secure :wink:
I love eels ... maybe one day

gregzz4
03-30-2012, 03:10 AM
OH, wait a minute, you didn't post a pic of the eel, so we don't believe you :mrgreen:

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 03:22 AM
I haven't been able to get a pic yet but he's there. The rocks are good, big with large bases and nothing on top of them, so he can dig away. Dammit, now I'm gonna sneak over and see if he's out...

reefwars
03-30-2012, 03:23 AM
I haven't been able to get a pic yet but he's there. The rocks are good, big with large bases and nothing on top of them, so he can dig away. Dammit, now I'm gonna sneak over and see if he's out...

what kind of eel did you get??:):)

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Snowflake, he's about 1 foot long. Got him on Tuesday from another canreefer, ate like a pig.

reefwars
03-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Snowflake, he's about 1 foot long. Got him on Tuesday from another canreefer, ate like a pig.

nice my favorite ive kept them for years this would be one of the only times i havent had a snowflake in my reef:P be careful when feeding they are pretty blind but have a awesome sense of smell ive been bitten a few times they have teeth like steak knives so it slices pretty good, even feeding with tongs you need to be careful he dont sneak up on you.

lid??

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 03:52 AM
Making the lid tomorrow. I saw how much he can swim around so I def don't want him carpet surfing! I tried feeding tonight, wasn't interested. Will try again tomorrow.

He's hiding now so no pics...:sad:

reefwars
03-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Making the lid tomorrow. I saw how much he can swim around so I def don't want him carpet surfing! I tried feeding tonight, wasn't interested. Will try again tomorrow.

He's hiding now so no pics...:sad:

what are you feeding him??

yeah ive lost a couple over the years they can escape the smallest of holes:)

they are beautiful though eh:)

reefwars
03-30-2012, 03:56 AM
for my last eel i made tunnels under all my rockwork with abs and burried it in sand and rock most times when people came to see my tank they were surprised they didnt even know a eel was in there:)

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 04:08 AM
I picked up a seafood mix, shrimp, mussels, octopus. Same as what he was being fed. Cut it up into pieces and tried a piece with the tongs. He might not be settled yet.

Picking up some screen material, and will try to make sure there's no way out...only concern is the filter, but will figure something out.

That sucks you've lost yours, I can't believe how much I like this guy! Will you have another one?

gregzz4
03-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Picking up some screen material, and will try to make sure there's no way out...only concern is the filter, but will figure something out.
Are you going to make a Fiberglass screen ( bug screen ) or use egg crate ?

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 04:19 AM
Was going to use screen door material, he's small enough to get through egg crate.

reefwars
03-30-2012, 04:23 AM
i will be getting another in the future :)

if he doesnt eat its only that hes getting use to your tank, snowflakes are very hardy and usually big eaters:)

Coralgurl
03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm not worried about him, I know he's healthy:lol:

The person I got mine from has another one, she's getting out of the hobby.......might be time for another...:razz:

gregzz4
03-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Was going to use screen door material, he's small enough to get through egg crate.
I just bought a roll of the fiberglass ( fibreglass ? ) material from Home Despot. I plan on using it to cover the eggcrate which covers my overflow. It's finer than I planned on using, but it doesn't really matter, does it. It's not like it's blocking air flow or something.
36" x 40" was about $10. Gonna be lots left over for me.
If you would rather cover all you eggcrate, make sure you buy the bigger roll. Or you could use the leftovers to work on your windows :smile:
Whatever, I'll let you know how it goes.

Coralgurl
04-13-2012, 12:37 AM
I haven't really added anymore livestock to the tank in a while, dealt with a funky smell, now a lovely outbreak of cyano. Im doing 10% water changes every couple of days and manually removing what i can. I've ordered a gfo from brs as well as filter socks, hoping its here next week. Some of my lps are not doing well, fading color, so I've moved to different flow areas, but I think it may be bec of the phosphates,nitrates, I'm getting slight readings on the API tests but figure it's all in the cyano. Hopefully once I get this under control or gone, I will like my tank again....

I've been thinking of a fish list and would like some input. Currently have the following:
2 clowns
Radiant wrasse
Solar wrasse
Cardinal
Hippo tang
Royal gramma

(eel is in the 55 gl tank)

I will be adding a yellow tang but not for a while (last one got aggressive)
I would love a reef safe trigger
Would also love a ccb, but probably won't add one
Dwarf angels?
More wrasses?
Thoughts?

Nano
04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I think we need some pictures too ;)

Coralgurl
04-13-2012, 12:50 AM
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0697.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0695.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0113.jpg

As requested, the fts is very blue, I will play with the settings for a while, get frustrated and stop....

Nano
04-13-2012, 01:10 AM
As requested, the fts is very blue, I will play with the settings for a while, get frustrated and stop....
lol thats what I did too.. Tank is looking Beautiful by the way :)

reefgirl189
04-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Great. Now I want an Eel. Thanks.

He's so cute!!

reefwars
04-13-2012, 01:42 AM
I haven't really added anymore livestock to the tank in a while, dealt with a funky smell, now a lovely outbreak of cyano. Im doing 10% water changes every couple of days and manually removing what i can. I've ordered a gfo from brs as well as filter socks, hoping its here next week. Some of my lps are not doing well, fading color, so I've moved to different flow areas, but I think it may be bec of the phosphates,nitrates, I'm getting slight readings on the API tests but figure it's all in the cyano. Hopefully once I get this under control or gone, I will like my tank again....

I've been thinking of a fish list and would like some input. Currently have the following:
2 clowns
Radiant wrasse
Solar wrasse
Cardinal
Hippo tang
Royal gramma

(eel is in the 55 gl tank)

I will be adding a yellow tang but not for a while (last one got aggressive)
I would love a reef safe trigger
Would also love a ccb, but probably won't add one
Dwarf angels?
More wrasses?
Thoughts?

for a reef safe trigger take a look at niger trigger, its probably the reefsafesst trigger .

have you tried feeding any of your lps??:) nice pics:):)

flame angel or coral beauty perhaps?? angles nip so its hit or miss:)

Coralgurl
04-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Looks like the Niger would have to go in later but could work.

Ya, the flame or coral beauty are cool, I had both in the 55 but they didn't survive an ich outbreak, will give them another go.

I've taken it easy on feeding the corals since the move, and feed about once a week. I posted a pic of this orange green yellow red brain when I first got it and last night I noticed its like 80's neon colored. I moved it and it didn't seem very fleshy, but my lights start dimming early and are out already. My trumpets are the same, faded and not fleshy. Will try some acan plus tomorrow.

Reef girl, the eel is such a cool addition! I'm going to start looking for a lion fish soon to add with him.hes made such a mess of the tank, want to add a bit more live rock as its running skimmer less ATM and I moved some of what was in there to the 180.

reefwars
04-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Looks like the Niger would have to go in later but could work.

Ya, the flame or coral beauty are cool, I had both in the 55 but they didn't survive an ich outbreak, will give them another go.

I've taken it easy on feeding the corals since the move, and feed about once a week. I posted a pic of this orange green yellow red brain when I first got it and last night I noticed its like 80's neon colored. I moved it and it didn't seem very fleshy, but my lights start dimming early and are out already. My trumpets are the same, faded and not fleshy. Will try some acan plus tomorrow.

Reef girl, the eel is such a cool addition! I'm going to start looking for a lion fish soon to add with him.hes made such a mess of the tank, want to add a bit more live rock as its running skimmer less ATM and I moved some of what was in there to the 180.

for your brain try feeding mysis they like the bigger meats. do you still see feeding responses(feeding tentacles) from the trumpets or brain?

for lions check out the fu manchu ,they are by far one of my faves:)

Coralgurl
04-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks Denny, will try that tomorrow. No tentacles from the brain but yes I see them on the trumpets. Going to fix the lighting schedule this weekend as well, so I can see them later :lol:

Fu man chu was my choice too!

fishytime
04-13-2012, 03:51 AM
nigers are cool fish when they are small, but they have the potential to get massive and the bigger they get the more aggressive they get....Ive also always wanted to put a trigger in my reef....I would go with the Xanthichthys family (bluethroat/sargassum/crosshatch).....they are quite timid as far as triggers go and max out at about 10".....

how bout a fourline wrasse? realy cool fish that you dont see everyday...... blackcap basslet......I would seriously consider a bristletooth tang of some kind....tireless workers and most dont get huge....

Gripenfelter
04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Get a blue throat trigger or cross hatch trigger.. Way more reef safe than a Niger.

Coralgurl
04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the crosshatch, I will start looking for one in a few weeks. Also just checked out a redline wrasse, cool coloring/markings. Any issues with these? I love the fairy wrasses and will likely add a few more. Tangs - how about a Tomini? I like the powder browns and this looks fairly similar. Are they difficult fish? Am also thinking of a diamond watchman gobie to help keep the sand clean and perhaps another blenny. I loved my bicolor and he just disappeared one day....

Would also love a mandarin, but I'm not seeing any pods in this tank yet and would wait at least a year before adding one. A fathead sunburst anthia, cool looking fish - are anthias ok to be single or do they need more than one in a tank?

Whatever my fish list looks like, I will make sure I add the least agressive first. I don't want all big fish so a few tangs, the trigger should be enough to still allow for more small/med guys.

Gripenfelter
04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a diamond spotted watchman goby. Awesome. Lots of personality.

Powder brown...just introduce him slowly. Use an introduction tank...search under my name for "introduction tank".

Tomini is hardy.

globaldesigns
04-13-2012, 05:50 PM
You have a snowflake!!!!!????

Do you have a top on your aquarium, if not, how is it going with it trying to escape? I always wanted one, but haven't due to my open top.

Nice tank!

subman
04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
+1 for the blue throat. Had one for a couple years, just sold him after he ate the foot off my anemone. In his defence it parked it self right in his favorite spot. Cam't blame him but he had to go after that.

Coralgurl
04-13-2012, 07:02 PM
You have a snowflake!!!!!????

Do you have a top on your aquarium, if not, how is it going with it trying to escape? I always wanted one, but haven't due to my open top.

Nice tank!

I've had him for just over 2 weeks with no cover on the tank. I didn't want to take him before we went away, but it was either now or never due to the other person shutting their system down and previous arrangements made. I got him a few days before we left and I didn't have a chance to make a cover before we left - its the plan for this weekend. So far, I have not seen any attempt whatsoever of an escape. He's in the tank by himself with the CUC, so no harrassment.

Coralgurl
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
I just tested tank parameters as I get ready for a water change

Ca 460
Kh 6
Mag1250
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Temp between 79-80.5 - noticing with warmer weather, temp increasing so need to adjust.

Kh and mag are low, will dose to bring them up. Overall, happy with tank...have some new corals and a fish coming Monday. Everything is doing great...

Coralgurl
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Well the tank is doing alright. I have added a few fish, including a male blue throat trigger (I LOVE this guy), diamond watchman goby, red velvet wrasse, tomini tang and a two spot hogfish I know its a lot at once, but this weekend added a yellow tang, red coris wrasse and a leopard wrasse. Both wrasses dug into the sand as soon as they hit the water, so I expect it might take a few days before they venture out. I love all the movement of the fish and its interesting how they interact with each other. The hippo tang swims with the radiant wrasse and is very territorial with him. The tomini gave the yellow a few slaps yesterday, but seemed ok by lights out. The hippo does not like the trigger at all, so this makes me a bit nervous...I had been good at adding only 1 per week, but the last 3 were a good deal...no more fish for a while.

I also added a rose tip anenome accidentally to this tank...I bought it for my 55, but wasn't ready to put it in there as I had just made changes to the 55. Well, my clown found the nem within 2 days of it going in and I don't think I'm going to move it to the other tank, they both seem happy. I'm concerned with the coloring of the nem, its tips are pinkish, but the bottoms of its tentacles are whitish. I'm assuming good water quality and feedings will help this guy color back up?

As for corals, haven't added too much recently. Still trying to help the ones that have been struggling for a while. No worse, but no better....

One thing that is troubling me is my salinity has dropped. I checked late yesterday and it was down to 1.022. I mixed up water last night and will change today. I can change about 25-30gls, what should I have the salinity at in the mixed water to make a difference in the tank? It normally sits at 1.025-1.026.

Will add pics later.

reefgirl189
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Well the tank is doing alright. I have added a few fish, including a male blue throat trigger (I LOVE this guy),.............................................

I also added a rose tip anenome accidentally to this tank...I bought it for my 55, but wasn't ready to put it in there as I had just made changes to the 55. Well, my clown found the nem within 2 days of it going in and I don't think I'm going to move it to the other tank, they both seem happy. I'm concerned with the coloring of the nem, its tips are pinkish, but the bottoms of its tentacles are whitish. I'm assuming good water quality and feedings will help this guy color back up?

I have a female blue throat in my 180 and miss Piggy is one of my favorite fish. Wanted a male but the only one at blue world wasn't eating :(

Your nem's colors are the same as mine. Rose pink tips, white base with a tint of green. Mine has been growing well for the two months I've had it and it even split once already. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. If it wasn't happy it would move somewhere else.

Coralgurl
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I have a female blue throat in my 180 and miss Piggy is one of my favorite fish. Wanted a male but the only one at blue world wasn't eating :(

Your nem's colors are the same as mine. Rose pink tips, white base with a tint of green. Mine has been growing well for the two months I've had it and it even split once already. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. If it wasn't happy it would move somewhere else.

You could add a male as well when you find one, it was an idea thrown at me when I got mine as I guess as pair they have interesting behaviours. Mine is a pig as well, I love triggers and one of the reasons I wanted a bigger tank!! :lol: He's a very nervous fish though but getting braver, he hides when our dog barks close to the tank!!!

Won't worry about the nem, the clown feeds it so it gets enough food. I hope it doesn't move......:twised:

You should update your build, haven't seen pics in a while either...:mrgreen:

Coralgurl
06-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Red. Coris. Wrasse. Beautiful fish but what a pita!! Come home and 2 mushroom rocks are upside down, flip back over, walk away, 10 mins later, upside down again...watch tank and sure enough, the wrasse is flipping them in front of me. First fish I've added that I think I'm regretting.....read up a bit and although reef safe with caution, I was not expecting this......ugh.

subman
06-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Red. Coris. Wrasse. Beautiful fish but what a pita!! Come home and 2 mushroom rocks are upside down, flip back over, walk away, 10 mins later, upside down again...watch tank and sure enough, the wrasse is flipping them in front of me. First fish I've added that I think I'm regretting.....read up a bit and although reef safe with caution, I was not expecting this......ugh.

Sorry to hear that but thanks for the info!:mrgreen:

Rice Reef
06-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Just gone thru your journal... Love your lights:wink: and def jealous as I wish I could have a bigger tank! I like the diff variety of corals you have and wish I could keep clams...:redface: for some reason they dont like me much and I've never had much success with clams...

Pic update?
Thanks for sharing!:biggrin:

fishoholic
06-28-2012, 02:38 PM

I'd have to agree. I love my red coris but definitely a PITA. FYI they aren't reef safe, they are listed with the non-reef safe wrasses on most sites. Mine is 6-7" now and when he was 2-3" Doug and I tried to catch him out of my reef tank (took all the rock out and dug through the sand searched for 3 days before putting the rock back) and I sill wasn't able to catch him :twised: He often flips rocks around, ate my almost all my crabs and snails (a few big ones survived) but I will say on the plus side (knock on wood) he hasn't ate my shrimp yet. Beautiful for sure but a PITA.

reefgirl189
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
You could add a male as well when you find one, it was an idea thrown at me when I got mine as I guess as pair they have interesting behaviours. Mine is a pig as well, I love triggers and one of the reasons I wanted a bigger tank!! :lol: He's a very nervous fish though but getting braver, he hides when our dog barks close to the tank!!!

Won't worry about the nem, the clown feeds it so it gets enough food. I hope it doesn't move......:twised:

You should update your build, haven't seen pics in a while either...:mrgreen:

That would be a cool idea. Maybe I will get another. BF and I are talking about moving in the next year so I'm not sure I want to stock my tank too heavily but hey, a year is a year away, right?

And yes... I do need to update my tank build. I'm just so swamped and busy and I've been neglecting the tank lately. It's looked better and I don't want to show it off much right now....

Coralgurl
06-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Just gone thru your journal... Love your lights:wink: and def jealous as I wish I could have a bigger tank! I like the diff variety of corals you have and wish I could keep clams...:redface: for some reason they dont like me much and I've never had much success with clams...

Pic update?
Thanks for sharing!:biggrin:

Thank you. I haven't added much lately as I've had a few issues, the coris wrasse is one (knocking over corals), my parameters dropped so
I have been dosing, finally back to where they should be. I've also lost a number of corals and have not really been sure why, so been a bit gun shy to add more. So I've been focusing on stability and slowing down. I've also had 3 fish jump in the last month, no the tank isn't covered.

I'll go through my pics and get something up later though. :razz:

Coralgurl
06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I'd have to agree. I love my red coris but definitely a PITA. FYI they aren't reef safe, they are listed with the non-reef safe wrasses on most sites. Mine is 6-7" now and when he was 2-3" Doug and I tried to catch him out of my reef tank (took all the rock out and dug through the sand searched for 3 days before putting the rock back) and I sill wasn't able to catch him :twised: He often flips rocks around, ate my almost all my crabs and snails (a few big ones survived) but I will say on the plus side (knock on wood) he hasn't ate my shrimp yet. Beautiful for sure but a PITA.

I think I had read reef safe with caution, so I was more worried about eating corals, not flipping them...I have a lot of empty snail shells and my fire shrimp has been missing for a while, cleaner shrimp are still around...

Yours is the same size as mine, he's skittish and hides whenever I'm in the tank, so I think trying to catch him is out of the question unless he becomes more social.

sigh....

fragNplug
09-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Awesome pics, gunna read the rest another time.

lpsreefer
09-15-2012, 07:28 AM
any fts updates?

Snappy
09-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Is your eel in with all your fish? Just so you know I have seen a snowflake take out some pretty big fish including a fairly large lion.

Regarding triggers, I used to have a niger in my reef several years ago and loved it however when I upgraded my tank and moved it to the back tank it actually ate my bicolor angel on day.

Fish are always hit & miss but if you get a bad one look out! Also they can change behavior even after being in a tank for several years.
One of the interesting aspects of this hobby is we put fish together in our tanks from all over the world and many that often don't live together in the wild and they can teach each other new tricks - some of which are not good.:wink:

Coralgurl
09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Awesome pics, gunna read the rest another time.

Thanks!:lol:

mattjoly85 any fts updates?
Haven't done one in a while, tank is ugly ATM...cyano

Coralgurl
09-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Is your eel in with all your fish? Just so you know I have seen a snowflake take out some pretty big fish including a fairly large lion.

Regarding triggers, I used to have a niger in my reef several years ago and loved it however when I upgraded my tank and moved it to the back tank it actually ate my bicolor angel on day.

Fish are always hit & miss but if you get a bad one look out! Also they can change behavior even after being in a tank for several years.
One of the interesting aspects of this hobby is we put fish together in our tanks from all over the world and many that often don't live together in the wild and they can teach each other new tricks - some of which are not good.:wink:

The eel was in my 55 gl tank, I sold him a while ago and reset it to a reef tank again.

My trigger is awesome right now but he's still pretty small. My hippo tang picks at him all the time, actually made him jump out of the tank earlier this week, so she might be going.

I agree that we put fish together that would never live together in these boxes, then hope for the best....That sucks yours actually ate another fish....I guess there's always risks no matter what. You must have got rid of the Niger as I don't recall seeing him in your tanks??

Snappy
09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes after it ate that angel it got traded in at Golds' for something else.

Coralgurl
09-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Finally have an aqua scape I like. My lights were starting to dim when I took these but I'm happy with the overall look of the tank. I was concerned about having less live rock so created an island today. My rock all looked purple before I started, once rearranged, pieces that were buried are now exposed and whitish again.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0728_zpsee583c19.jpg

Now I need to fill it with corals. There's much better options for coral placement now, lots of caves for the fish and open swimming space. I thought redoing the rocks would stop my hippo tang from picking on my trigger, nope, she's still a jerk.

Finally, my candy hogfish must have been hiding in a rock, when I pulled the rock out on the tarp, I heard it flopping around. Picked him up and put in the tank, but he was pretty lifeless. I cupped him in my hand and moved him around to move water through his gills. He stayed in my hand for 10 mins, I finally moved it away and he zipped back to the rock. Didn't see him again till this morning and he was back to normal, so no casualties, yay!

magikof7
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
It looks great! I like how you did it in seperate islands and arches. It is going to be stunning when you have it filled in with corals. Love it!

Salt2Death
09-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Wow, I love the work you have done. Really a great Aqua Scape going on there! Wt how many "I need aqua scape help," you should teach a class!

Great Job!

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

Coralgurl
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow, I love the work you have done. Really a great Aqua Scape going on there! Wt how many "I need aqua scape help," you should teach a class!

Great Job!

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

Thanks. I had pics of tanks open on my ipad trying to get ideas. Good thing its got a cover as it got a bit wet...Not getting overly positive feedback on my help thread, so may change up the centre a bit. The thing I like about the column in the middle is there are so many coral placement options on it. I may just leave it alone and see how things look with corals, which are seriously lacking in this tank!! I do like the overall look better than my initial set up.

Coralgurl
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
It looks great! I like how you did it in seperate islands and arches. It is going to be stunning when you have it filled in with corals. Love it!

Thank you!!! :lol:

magikof7
09-24-2012, 11:07 PM
I would leave it alone, or at least let it sit for a few days while you think about it. it sounds like you like it the way it is. I think once it has corals on it, it will look even better than it does now. There is plenty of swimming room for your fish and available sand for Corals as well.

Pics don't show the full effect very well either so those that don't like it very much might change their mind if they were to see it in person. what matters is that you like it.

Coralgurl
09-24-2012, 11:31 PM
I would leave it alone, or at least let it sit for a few days while you think about it. it sounds like you like it the way it is. I think once it has corals on it, it will look even better than it does now. There is plenty of swimming room for your fish and available sand for Corals as well.

Pics don't show the full effect very well either so those that don't like it very much might change their mind if they were to see it in person. what matters is that you like it.

Ahh, thank you! Very kind. I took more pictures this morning before I left as the lights were full on. Tried to capture the depth a bit better, but my camera skills still suck. :razz: I love the look of islands in other peoples tanks but honestly, once corals grow in, you hardly know whats there supporting them. I was also concerned about removing any rock as the tank has only been running since February and had quite a bit of base rock. The island is 100% live rock which I felt was needed. I did ask for suggestions and criticisms, and do appreciate the honesty of the feedback. It does have me thinking of other options, but I'll work towards that as time goes. Took me this long just to change things up, not going to mess around too much at this point. :lol:

Coralgurl
03-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Havent updated in a while, haven't added much in the way of corals, lost quite a bit a while ago and been a lot nervous to add more, so have left things alone. I've just added 4 awesome wrasses and am amazed at how new fish can rejuvenate interest.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/5a2454cfb95add04ae82902d3fc031d6_zps17de0ee1.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/dbe81d5a0539d9526e2505ae4b812ce9_zpse0f8faab.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/8544f02f25bb14f39d114f51fcbbd1dd_zps8468201c.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/84204cc517d8cafb980aa72be759919c_zpsbdc0b716.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/f6b65ced9de908e815c307050294ad5a_zps8c0fa18a.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/0469721cb8c266adb47c6aa30ba117cb_zps9f513f6c.jpg

Coralgurl
03-15-2013, 04:59 AM
My male clown got tired of me taking pics and came at the glass..

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/894c9718a73419dcf8b7b8abff321314_zps4cb13a04.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/5c9cbde1bf2c8a511a3c68775748577a_zpsc0348864.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/76cbbdc333277d12286d14371435dbd1_zpsb03f55c5.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/e8cbf2576c9cf818ffd3b8d55255741b_zps1eaa1739.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/d9be8a731a00226c612e3c17d9b12091_zps8635a517.jpg

Coralgurl
03-15-2013, 05:00 AM
I picked up a whipfin and Scott's wrasse today, they are still hiding, but did come out when I fed tonight, so hoping for pics soon!

kien
03-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Nice fish! Your bubble coral looks HUNGRY!!

lastlight
03-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Looking pretty lively in there! There's nothing like watching a busy reef. The interactions are so cool. You glue all your smaller rocks down or is your coris still making your life fun?

Coralgurl
03-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Nice fish! Your bubble coral looks HUNGRY!!

Thanks! The bubble has tripled in size in the last few months, and always looks like this when I feed. Haven't direct fed in ages...:mrgreen:

Looking pretty lively in there! There's nothing like watching a busy reef. The interactions are so cool. You glue all your smaller rocks down or is your coris still making your life fun?

I sold the coris, he flipped everything and killed quite a few corals. :twised:

Funny, since adding the wrasses, my lone anthia is trying to hang out with them and my big fish are swimming around more.

I also just added 2 mini maxi nems, an orange, red green one and a black one with a green skirt. The black one moved under a rock in the shade and seems quite content there.

mrhasan
03-15-2013, 06:10 AM
BLACK maxi mini? :O I would love to see a pic of that :D

lpsreefer
03-15-2013, 06:17 AM
it was good seeing ya getting fishies sheena.
and nice bubble coral.

Coralgurl
03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
it was good seeing ya getting fishies sheena.
and nice bubble coral.

Oh dear, were you there alone or with the little girl? I would have loved to grab a couple more but the Scott's wrasse wasn't cheap....:lol:

What did you end up grabbing?

Coralgurl
03-17-2013, 02:35 AM
BLACK maxi mini? :O I would love to see a pic of that :D

I will try to get a pic but it's tucked itself under a rock further back in the tank.

Coralgurl
03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Some more pics of the new kids.

Scotts fairy wrasse, still hiding but is coming out to eat, which is good.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/fa7ec182cc54c349fbc16ccfb6dd7c81_zps73490355.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/516458c97bf0af76a654a59f270d5f4f_zps0452be04.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/66d2d2bb0fca969ce0566befac18191c_zps70111b3c.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/01608162ef284d8ae10cfad3c1da1781_zps9bfff31d.jpg

Whipfin...looks like a mckoskers though. Can someone confirm?

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/69c2bf8d8a6e2eb8080c997abafb6192_zpscf780773.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/8dc97f59beee0aaefe7a61212950a20a_zps0f02651e.jpg

Coralgurl
03-17-2013, 03:03 AM
And one more...

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/45eebcdfdb8ddddfd2f90253d1a0cb8d_zps021fd882.jpg

lpsreefer
03-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Sweet lubbocks!

Paracheilinus mccoskeri
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFOAMfLCWN3qZZxG5EgjopHy6XqjQh4 hWy0FVoHFq6oKtgx3ifSw
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvlicGwpGCV08Putm0RZDeCNxxy0Pgk OG-3iuSHaGrB85BU6XEig
the tail gives him away.
Paracheilinus filamentosus
http://s1.e-monsite.com/2008/11/08/04/59782924paracheilinus-filamentosus-jpg.jpg
http://blog-imgs-32.fc2.com/t/a/k/take40mura/20090927132203f43.jpg
tail is red like the body with out that beautiful strip.
hard call though.
i would lean towards Mccoskers flasher
but that just my quick google search on both.

Coralgurl
03-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks Matt, I came up with the same thing. Doesn't matter, he's awesome and is not shy at all! He's been flashing at my royal gramma quite a bit today...:lol:

The Lubbock was different from the others with the blue marking down his back which is why I wanted him. He flashes at his reflection in the glass....weirdo!

Coralgurl
04-14-2013, 03:12 AM
I added all the coral and fish from my 55 gl tank, plus picked up a few more frags, so I've been playing with the rocks a bit. Still not happy but maybe a bit better....

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/f9747beaef7fede1a047ee53b98dc978_zps28e91e7f.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/f5c4bb789289abba6027eeec520a3a61_zpsec500560.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/f82b3eab30e4f78f8683bec08d8d21ee_zps3a46fbd3.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/1926fbbe58722359aa9e15b5c7be99d5_zpsf2a059d4.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/99ae7b2eb34f3d57d5a641e370a70ab1_zps74ea3dd6.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/3893ccc9c647866e63af59736c994bbe_zps4377613f.jpg

Coralgurl
04-14-2013, 03:15 AM
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/36556cddc81eba70a0d967109d547683_zpsc5cad8f3.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/a4f827b386873c9284b12bd1555fb2a1_zpsa656a08d.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/0c9c7e909fd3e2c854947ae4fd0b1938_zpse7a415c3.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/b78e87e33b67b474717e1691cf20d5b4_zps0feeb03d.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/804e0b45c69980f8d3d1960726dc1636_zps818d8937.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/09386295188b0135e47a20c6a958cc3b_zps89cc41e1.jpg

ckmullin
04-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Nice once again. Love that GSP !

Coralgurl
04-24-2013, 03:37 PM
I was sitting in front of my tank last night and thinking, wow, what a difference a year makes. The livestock was added Mar 3/12 and so much has changed.

Its been a year of frustration, challenges and losses, but also of learning and progressing.

I absolutely love watching my fish, every one of them is quirky in their own ways, I definitely have favorites (flamehawk fish is top of that list, then my bluethroat trigger). Also, my bangaii cardinal which is my oldest fish being one of the first I bought almost 2 years ago. I wish I had a couple more of these guys but one is enough.

I lost 2 of my 3 first corals I bought 2 years ago, the first within a few months of the transfer (my huge wall frogspawn), the second just got pulled out of the tank a couple of weeks ago (button coral). These were big losses for me as they are what got me hooked on the hobby in the first place. Thankfully, the 3rd one is doing amazing and continuing to grow.

Also how cool it is to buy fish as babies and watch them grow from maybe an inch big to 5 inches or more and fat....love being a fish mom!

I have both a doser and controller for the tank, but not using either. Now that things are turned around and I'm not so overwhelmed with looking after 2 tanks, I am focusing on getting both set up and running efficiently. I've been doing weekly 30 gl water changes for a while now, think it will take a few more weeks to see if this has any impact on the corals, but I've also started feeding them Acan Plus, Reef Roids and Coral Frenzy. I see a huge difference in the LPS already, not sure why I stopped feeding before and suspect this is the reason for some losses, but not all. I do have a few pieces of SPS but so far have not been successful long term in keeping them alive. So, I'll keep going with what I have, but I think I'm sticking with the LPS and softies for the foreseeable future.

I've had so many fish jump, radiant wrasse, 2 solar wrasses, a clownfish, candy hogfish, and I'm sure a few more, I finally threw eggcrate on top. No adjustment to the tank lighting and all seems to be doing fine, if not actually a bit better, and no more carpet surfing.

We've also been looking at skinning the stand. Now that I'm comfortable with the equipment and the sump, time to cover it up. Unfortunately, I'm not having the year I had financially as I've had over the last 2, and actually have to live with a fish budget...lol, probably a good thing as its forced a slow down on stocking!

Overall, sitting in front of the tank, I realized I am so happy I didn't give up, this may be a girly thing to say, but I am so in love with my little reef its stupid. It may not be jam packed with corals (yet), or spectacular like a lot of your tanks are, but its coming along.

kien
04-24-2013, 03:40 PM
I realized I am so happy I didn't give up, this may be a girly thing to say, but I am so in love with my little reef its stupid.

Tank is looking sweet Sheena! It looks like it's ticking along quite nicely. Never give up, never surrender! :biggrin:

Bblinks
04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Your tank is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.

H2o2
04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Well for me i am just starting to add coral and fish to my 155 display and i cant wait for mine to look like yours and that is a good looking set up

Jakegr
04-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Inspiring post!

gregzz4
04-25-2013, 02:05 AM
I too am glad you stuck with it Sheena
Tank is looking great :smile:

brotherd
04-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Where's the "like " button on this thing? I like it!