PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious pulsating sand

argan
01-08-2012, 05:59 AM
I was watching my tank just before the 10k lights went out for the night, and I noticed a small depression in the sand moving somewhat rhythmically. It moved around for about 30 seconds then seemed to stop.

I don't have any small nassarius snails or cucumbers, so maybe it was the pistol shrimp I added yesterday? Very curious.

Anyone want to add some pistol shrimp anecdotes? Or weird sand moving stories.

lastlight
01-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Have a wrasse that disappears in the evening?

Mine both like to 'explore' underneath the sand even when they're not going to bed. Just today my leopard dove under and it looked like the movie tremors as he literally moved through the sand (a good 6 inches). He popped halfway out of the sand and paused like that... just his head showing. The sort of thing you'd kill to snag a photo of but never going to happen).

argan
01-08-2012, 06:31 AM
I don't have any wrasse, so it can't be them. Wanted to look with a red flashlight but can't find mine right now.

reefwars
01-08-2012, 06:36 AM
i would think its def your pistol shrimp thats what they do is dig and plow sand, mine has tunnells through out all my tank.

argan
01-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Hope he finds the yashia goby that's in there :biggrin: if it is the pistol.

And I hope they come to the front of the tank
Fingers crossed.

Lastlight, if I did have a wrasse it would be a leopard, they are a rad fish! Keep trying to get that picture.

paddyob
01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Could be Spagetti worms?

They push up from under the Sandbed.

argan
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Possibly spaghetti worms, but it was about the size of a quarter in diameter area, and I did't see and tendrils there.

I'll put a piece of food near it and see if anything comes out.