PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use too much chemi pure ina reef tank?

DanG
01-06-2012, 06:15 PM
I bought a tub of chemipure elite from J&L, didn't realize that it was a single sock and not several. All the pictures I could see on the tub said 4 units, didn't see the tiny print that said bag.
I've got a sock full of chemipure that's rated for a 175-200G tank and only have a 70G plus 15 ish g in a sump.

Am I risking anything by putting the whole thing in there? Currently only a handful of hermit crabs, a single maroon clown, a coral beauty angel and a baby blue tang (yes I know he will get too big for this tank, I trade him in at the LFS every couple of months).

globaldesigns
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, good question. I use ChemiPure, and use double the recommended without issue so far. In fact, I have been commenting that my tank is doing better. Not necessarily due to the chemipure, but you never know.

So I would state in my case, it is fine.

Zoaelite
01-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Nothing to worry about if you have a fish only system, even in a reef you should be fine. It's an ion exchange resin with GFO, I don't think it binds trace elements like carbon does but I'm not sure about that.

DanG
01-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I should have added that I'm doing this because I switched from RO to tap with prime.

Good to know that it's ok, thanks guys.