PDA

View Full Version : Carnation Coral?

Smittyburger
01-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Looking to get a positive ID on this coral.
Is this a Dendronephthya species Carnation Coral?

Not extended:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55302429/_RAW7031_1841A.jpg

Extended:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55302429/_RAW7162_1755A.jpg

STANKYfish
01-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I think you are right on the ID.

no_bs
01-04-2012, 04:11 PM
+1, Neat little corals.

lastlight
01-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Where did you pick that up? I really like it.

Snaz
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Carnivorous feeder that will require a lot of work if it is to thrive. Can anyone here share their success stories with this coral please?

monocus
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
i have 8 large and about 50 small spreading of various species-in the new set-up .they have been going for about a year and a half.i make my own phytoplankton and rotofers,plus heavy brine shrimp feedings at night.water is moved around with a wave box and a wave maker attached to my main return pump.constantly battling phosphates-but that could be caused by my eels

Smittyburger
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I picked this coral up at Wai's here in Calgary. It's just over 2 weeks old. The coral has been going through it's extention cycles during the night.

It's located on the bottom of the tank (24" deep). Water flow is good to moderate. I have been spot feeding it reef-roids. It also gets the "fines" from the frozen shrimp feedings Amasing how much these guys can extend!

I realize they take some work to keep healthy. Wish me luck on this one!

Matman
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Yep pretty sure it's dendronephtya. Liveaquaria has the same sometime, I'm not sure if they give a different name.

I had one for a while. I had some success with it before I got tired of always feeding it and went on vacation. The best you can do for it is to feed it the Fauna Marin dendronephtya recipe. You mix ultra clam, ultra life and ultra seafan with some ultra min D so you get a thick paste and leave it on the table overnight. You can then store it with some tank water and leave it in the fridge for a while and feed it directly to the coral. This food mixture is also good for goniopora/alveopora. You can also add bacteria like mb7 or ultra bio to the mix!

reefwars
01-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Yep pretty sure it's dendronephtya. Liveaquaria has the same sometime, I'm not sure if they give a different name.

I had one for a while. I had some success with it before I got tired of always feeding it and went on vacation. The best you can do for it is to feed it the Fauna Marin dendronephtya recipe. You mix ultra clam, ultra life and ultra seafan with some ultra min D so you get a thick paste and leave it on the table overnight. You can then store it with some tank water and leave it in the fridge for a while and feed it directly to the coral. This food mixture is also good for goniopora/alveopora. You can also add bacteria like mb7 or ultra bio to the mix!

+1 on this, its a very difficult coral to keep simly because of consistency a continuous feed is recommended....its on my list of corals to eventually tr y for my azoox/nps tank:):)