PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Fish

ocean diver
01-04-2012, 01:08 AM
What do you guys think would make the best schooling fish in a 110gal mixed reef tank?

fishytime
01-04-2012, 01:26 AM
cardinals or gudgeons make good choices that dont seem to dwindle in numbers

Lance
01-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Stay away from Chromis. Some people call them schooling but they're not really. And like all damsels they are little bastards to each other.

fishytime
01-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Stay away from Chromis. Some people call them schooling but they're not really. And like all damsels they are little bastards to each other.

well.....if you wanna be technical.....chromis ARE a schooling fish.....problem is, we put 6 or 10 or 20 in a tank and think we have a school.....when in reality we have a small group/pack.....these fish school by the hundreds in the wild.....

Lance
01-04-2012, 03:38 AM
well.....if you wanna be technical.....chromis ARE a schooling fish.....problem is, we put 6 or 10 or 20 in a tank and think we have a school.....when in reality we have a small group/pack.....these fish school by the hundreds in the wild.....

You're right Doug. In the wild they are schooling. I was referring more to the home aquarium. One of the problems with these fish in the aquarium is that they require constant feeding and if they aren't actively picking off food in the water column they are harassing each other. I started with thirteen and now 3 years later I'm down to three. Nasty little buggers!

patd
01-04-2012, 04:49 AM
I've seen both cardinals and anthias make some nice looking schools in reef tanks.
I bought some frags off a guy that had a 90 gallon with a fair size group (10 or 12) chalk bass in his mixed reef tank and they actually looked really cool together. I'm not sure they are considered 'schooling' fish or 'shoaling' fish but they definately hung put together in a pretty tight little group and apparently they are not aggressive towards any of his corals.

Cheers,
PatD