PDA

View Full Version : Geeze this hobby sucks sometimes.

Parker
01-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Things are going well, oh look the Stn stopped, corals are encrusting, fish are happy.

Bam,
RO unit dies
Mocean dies
Oh look another bulb that's less than 6 months old dies
All in less than a week.

In the last year I had to replace all three halide ballasts, both skimmer pumps. More bulbs that didn't as more than six months. The display for my Apex. It's just one thing after another with this tank.

Just venting...

Parker
01-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Haha I can't even post in the right right forum

Leah
01-04-2012, 12:12 AM
And who says that sometimes simple isn't better. :wink:

Casey8
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Yes, this hobby gives me joys and also grieves. I have just lost one of my most favorite angelfish this morning :sad: That's life, comes and goes ... I have to accept the reality but very sad.

unclesalty
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Things are going well, oh look the Stn stopped, corals are encrusting, fish are happy.

Bam,
RO unit dies
Mocean dies
Oh look another bulb that's less than 6 months old dies
All in less than a week.

In the last year I had to replace all three halide ballasts, both skimmer pumps. More bulbs that didn't as more than six months. The display for my Apex. It's just one thing after another with this tank.

Just venting...

RO unit dies?
How exactly did your RO unit die? The membrane needs replaced you mean??

Parker
01-04-2012, 12:39 AM
And who says that sometimes simple isn't better. :wink:

True, it can often be better. I need some level of automation as work can take me out of town and my wifes contribution ends at feeding the fish. :mrgreen:

Parker
01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
RO unit dies?
How exactly did your RO unit die? The membrane needs replaced you mean??

The membrane is shot or it's plugged in a place I can't find. Not really a big deal, it all just seems to happen at once. Isn't that always the case though.

I'm more annoyed with the bulbs and ballasts, I mean really what are the chances I'm going to go through three ballasts in less than a year. And bulbs are worse it seems.

toytech
01-04-2012, 01:04 AM
last weekend my hoby went from reefing to cooking when my heater stuck on probably the worst soup ever made . The tank still stinks like dead snail .

Lampshade
01-04-2012, 01:09 AM
I guess it's the season. I replaced my halides a few weeks ago with the ebay bulbs, everything was going great until my coral figured out that it wasn't just a cloudy day at the reef. And with the blue lights it's hard to see coral getting blue color, and coral bleaching :(. I've gone back to my old bulbs now, and seems like stuff is recovering, but I have probably lost an 12"+ blue acro, a large red digi, a rock nearly completely covered with a superman monti, and a 200+ head zoa colony :(. So much for saving money with cheaper bulbs.

Casey8
01-04-2012, 01:15 AM
I guess it's the season. I replaced my halides a few weeks ago with the ebay bulbs, everything was going great until my coral figured out that it wasn't just a cloudy day at the reef. And with the blue lights it's hard to see coral getting blue color, and coral bleaching :(. I've gone back to my old bulbs now, and seems like stuff is recovering, but I have probably lost an 12"+ blue acro, a large red digi, a rock nearly completely covered with a superman monti, and a 200+ head zoa colony :(. So much for saving money with cheaper bulbs.

That is terrible for the cheap bulbs.

Lampshade
01-04-2012, 01:20 AM
I only have 2 250W over a 6' tank, so I was stretching it already. I'm going to pick up a third and try for the 3 ebay bulbs. Lots of people have great results with them, so I'll see.