PDA

View Full Version : Hang on skimmers

Dragon780
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone, i have the coralife super skimmer 65g right now, but i notice it overflows alot

i think ill probably need a better and more realiable skimmer, i dont want to wake up every morning and have a wet floor.

anyone know or suggest any better skimmer for a 65g tank?

thank you

reefgirl189
01-03-2012, 07:50 PM
There's plenty of great alternatives, and most other people on this site could recommend a few tried and tested ones to you.

I think it also comes down to price. You can spend $1000's on a fantastic skimmer or considerably less on an almost as good one.

If you're set on a hang-on model they generally are a little bit more expensive than their in sump versions.

If you've got no budget limit then your options are very open.

Maverick00
01-03-2012, 08:03 PM
If you are running a sump id recommend looking at the VERTEX IN series. 250$ or so. The collection cup is easy to clean and maintain. Its alittle noisy but for the price and performance i cant complain. I was running the coralife SS previously and liked it other than the overflowing issues i had as well. I tried the Aqua C Remora pro and hated it. It was hard to clean, noisy and didnt perform as well as the coralife SS in my opinion.

Dragon780
01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
well of course i wouldnt pay for something for like 500 when i can get something tahts jsut as good for like 200 right, so its what its worth,

and i read some reviews on the octopus bh 100 f, would anyone recommend that?

Cliff
01-03-2012, 08:37 PM
A friend of mine has a Aqua C Ramoria. He swears by this skimmer and I have read a great deal of positive reviews

I would suggest it

mseepman
01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I hear the Octopus line of hang-ons are good. There are few sellers in Canada, I'm sure a vendor on here could help you out.

ensquire
01-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I have had both on a 33 gallon tank. Both of mine were adequate. The Reef Octopus has a large
Footprint inside the tank but did an awesome job skimming. Had restart issues but easily fixed by placing thumb over air intake. I started to get Noise from the pump so I switched to a Aqua Remora that i had. It's the one with the box that attaches to the pump and sits inside the tank. Wish that this was designed a little better but all in all I haven't had any major issues It's easier to clean than the RO. which is a big plus You can take it apart in seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bling_bling466
01-03-2012, 11:30 PM
I just got a new aqua c remora skimmer and plugged it in and it started skimming ASAP it's quite and if u have an old coralife skimmer the bubble trap box fits perfect.

dsaundry
01-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Deltec makes a good one and Bubble Magus makes a good one too...

Myka
01-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Imo, Deltec is the only hang on skimmer worth buying. I have heard some good things about the Bubble Magus and the Octopus though I haven't seen them in action.

I had a Remora and a Remora Pro, and they skimmed great for the first few months, then I could never get them skimming again. After a year they got moved to the closet and then I sold them off. I would never buy another one.

silentcivilian
01-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Ive really lliked the Eshopps skimmers. Its the only ones I will buy now. I have had the expensive ones and the difference between them is hardly noticeable if at all. I also found the Eshopps ones to be quieter in a few cases.

Worth looking into, more so if budget a concern.

freezetyle
01-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Imo, Deltec is the only hang on skimmer worth buying.

Bang -on

I had a eshopps one that wasn't bad. but if your going to be sticking with a hang on skimmer deltec is the way to go

bkelly
01-04-2012, 02:02 AM
The Deltic 300 has some problems but for 50 plus gal the 600 would be the best choice seems to not have the problems the 300 has.

Cugio
01-04-2012, 03:42 AM
I got the Bubble Magus nac5e from Brad and Dave at concept. Great skimmer and does not require any adjustment except for the air and water valve. As Brett says, "that's one big skimmer".

My only complaint is that it is hard to clean. You need small hands to reach inside the chamber and yet still, you can barely maneuver a cleaning brush around. Also, Bubble Magus uses metric pvc so if you want to extend any of the pipping, you can only buy from online sources.

It did overflow on me though. The first time was because I did not have an ATO and the water level in the sump dropped too much. That raised the water level in the skimmer and overflowed. I now use the drain plug going into a milk jug down below. I said first because it's bound to happen again at some point.

As you can tell, it's a site for sore eyes and is as tall as a 5 gallon bucket. It's going on my 90 gallon and into the sump when my basement reno is finished. :surprise:

burgerchow
01-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Aqua c remora sucks? I've got one on my 55 gal mantis tank and from day one, it's never skimmed right. Tried new pumps too. Don't buy it. CPR backpack works better, heck even red sea prism skims better.

Palmer
01-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I bought an Aqua C Remora Pro used and it works great and is several years old. It also has a dark plexiglass so you do not get tons of growth of coraline etc in the skimmer body which is a plus.

Skimmerking
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Imo, Deltec is the only hang on skimmer worth buying

Need we say more. and with the 600 with the built in overflow from the cup that is why i like them.

Wayne
01-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I run both a Remora Pro and a Coralife SS 125 at the same time and hands down the Coralife kicks the Aqua C down.