PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon stock list

Kimmi7
01-03-2012, 02:10 AM
So I am hoping people on here can tell me what works with this stock list and what doesn't as well your experance with them. I went online and found a site that you can order fish from and they had great info, like diet, size, tank size needed, as well if they jump or not.

So this are some of the fish I found that I think would look GREAT together.

lunare wrasse or yellow wrasse
Dwarf Flame Angelfish
nemo clownfish lol
starry blenny- algae eatting?
blue hippo tang
flame hawkfish
cuban hogfish
pink square anthias
purpleback pseudochromis
ora fidmani-orchid pseudochromis
blue reef chromis
banggai cardinal

George
01-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Some of these fish will get too big to be in a 90 gallons, and I feel those are a lot of fish for a 90G. If you want to get some ideas about what size tank is good for a particular fish, you can go to http://www.liveaquaria.com/ and search for your fish. I find that their recommendations are pretty good most of the time.

Madreefer
01-03-2012, 03:48 AM
On that site theres also a compatibility list that is helpful as well. What is this site that your planning on ordering your fish from?

Kimmi7
01-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Oh I am not ordering for awhile and it was just a random site that came up after searching for saltwater fish lol. Its saltwaterfish.com

I know this is a lot of fish for a 90 thats why I asked what people think about the type of fish. As well most of the fish dont get over 3-4 inchs. I will for sure check out the site though, thanks

Madreefer
01-03-2012, 04:13 AM
Thats an American site. It's best to support your LFS. There's a few in your city that are mentioned on here often. You most likely wont be buying all your fish at once but they will order what you like. Try to find a SW specialty store as opposed to the bigger chain stores that sell puppies and other pet stuff. Someone from the Edmonton area should be speaking up soon and reccomending a good store to visit. While there ask alot of questions and than come back here for a second or better yet several more opinions.

Kimmi7
01-03-2012, 04:26 AM
ok so is a blue hippo tang a blue tang? as on the link suggested I couldnt find a blue hippo tang but the blue tang looks the same as it.

Kimmi7
01-03-2012, 04:28 AM
Thats an American site. It's best to support your LFS. There's a few in your city that are mentioned on here often. You most likely wont be buying all your fish at once but they will order what you like. Try to find a SW specialty store as opposed to the bigger chain stores that sell puppies and other pet stuff. Someone from the Edmonton area should be speaking up soon and reccomending a good store to visit. While there ask alot of questions and than come back here for a second or better yet several more opinions.

Oh ya I know a couple good stores in edmonton and I will be buying local. But thanks for the heads up :)

daniella3d
01-03-2012, 04:35 AM
It depend. A blue hippo tang is a blue tang, so is the powder blue, and there is also the purple tang which is blue, but they all require a larger tank than a 90 gallons, minimum 125 gallons, best is 200 gallons and up.

ok so is a blue hippo tang a blue tang? as on the link suggested I couldnt find a blue hippo tang but the blue tang looks the same as it.

Kimmi7
01-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Ya the one site was completely off. Said it need min of 40-50 and that it doesn't get bigger then 4". So I guess that's out of the picture. Oh well.

fishoholic
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
A lunare wrasse will get way to large (10") and aggressive for a 90g. I had a 7" lunare wrasse in my 230g fowlr tank and he was aggressive.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+346&pcatid=346

I think the blue tang you're thinking of is also referred to as a hippo tang or regal tang. They get up a foot (12") in size, minimum of 180g.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+330&pcatid=330

A 90g is a bit small for tangs but if you really want a tang, a kole tang would be ok.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+345&pcatid=345

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Tomini or Two-spot tang could also replace the Kole (same family of bristletooth tangs).

As for your wish list:

Yellow or canary wrasse (NOT lunare) is doable, but mine grew to about 5-6"
Dwarf Flame Angelfish - potentially non-reef-safe (any dwarf angel is a hit-or-miss) - perhaps look at Cherub angel (dwarf dwarf) which I've never had any problems with
nemo clownfish lol
starry blenny- algae eating? - some algae control
blue hippo tang - NOPE - too big and fast
flame hawkfish - Yes
cuban hogfish - Needs a 6' fowlr
pink square anthias - never found these to be hardy
purpleback pseudochromis - SKIP - would probably fight with orchid
ora fidmani-orchid pseudochromis - Usually great reef fish (probably stay just with one pseudochromis)
blue reef chromis - most LFS stock the green (not blue) chromis
banggai cardinal - great little reef fish

parkinsn
01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Tomini or Two-spot tang could also replace the Kole (same family of bristletooth tangs).

As for your wish list:

Yellow or canary wrasse (NOT lunare) is doable, but mine grew to about 5-6"
Dwarf Flame Angelfish - potentially non-reef-safe (any dwarf angel is a hit-or-miss) - perhaps look at Cherub angel (dwarf dwarf) which I've never had any problems with
nemo clownfish lol
starry blenny- algae eating? - some algae control
blue hippo tang - NOPE - too big and fast
flame hawkfish - Yes
cuban hogfish - Needs a 6' fowlr
pink square anthias - never found these to be hardy
purpleback pseudochromis - SKIP - would probably fight with orchid
ora fidmani-orchid pseudochromis - Usually great reef fish (probably stay just with one pseudochromis)
blue reef chromis - most LFS stock the green (not blue) chromis
banggai cardinal - great little reef fish

I would agree with the above.

Is this going to be a FOWLR? Or a reef?

ORA fish and coral, last i heard, can not be brought into Canada. However you can still get orchid's up here.

Also lunare wrasse, not only to big, but also not reef safe, IF you plan on having shrimp. As with most wrasse, keeping shrimp MAY be an issue. The bigger the wrasse the bigger the chance of it eating your inverts.

Another thought. If you want to do a pseudochromis stick to one. But there are some nice dottybacks as well that can be mixed with pseudochromis

intarsiabox
01-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Hawkfish will also eat any shrimp you may want to keep.

Kimmi7
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
This will be a reef tank so need reef safe fish.
So feel free to tell me about any fish you have that would work in 90 reef tank

fishytime
01-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Hawkfish will also eat any shrimp you may want to keep.

shrimp first.....then wrasses and hawkfish.....been successful in two different tanks doing this.....any shrimp added after the fish are just a meal

If you do a psuedochromis or dottyback add them towards the end....they can be semi-aggressive and territorial

ORA fish are perfectly legal in Canada and a few vendors here bring them in from time to time

Kimmi7
01-04-2012, 03:59 AM
shrimp first.....then wrasses and hawkfish.....been successful in two different tanks doing this.....any shrimp added after the fish are just a meal

If you do a psuedochromis or dottyback add them towards the end....they can be semi-aggressive and territorial

ORA fish are perfectly legal in Canada and a few vendors here bring them in from time to time

Why would you add shrimp last? I have fw angels and actually have added shrimp for the purpose of food. Any fish that can fit it in it's mouth will try if dropped in front of.

For the two fish, I have read that adding them last is the best idea. That way they don't try to hurt anyone that is near their "home"

fishytime
01-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Why would you add shrimp last? I have fw angels and actually have added shrimp for the purpose of food. Any fish that can fit it in it's mouth will try if dropped in front of.

I didnt say that:wink:.....most people that do a reef tank have some kind of commensal shrimp in the tank.....like, skunk/scarlet cleaner shrimp or fire/blood shrimp or peppermint shrimp (*Forest Gump "Bubba" scenes going through my head*)....these shrimp have a couple functions....they make decent scavengers and will perform cleaning duties for your fish..... If you think you may want any of these shrimp its best to add them sometime after the first couple monthes of your tanks life and before you add any fish that may potentially be a threat to ornamental shrimp....