PDA

View Full Version : clowns

new2reef
01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
i recently lost one of clown fish the other day.was curious if having only one is gonna be hard on remaining fish or should i run and grab her a new buddy

daniella3d
01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I had a single clownfish for a year and half and she was ok but had a unatural behavior of going through the glass up and down, left to right all day, rarely exploring the surrounding.

I got her a male, moved her to a quarantine tank and introduced the smaller male to her in the quarantine tank so there would be less chance of fighting if they both were in an unknow place. It worked well and they quickly formed a couple. After a month in quarantine I moved them both to the main tank and they have been together ever since. They have a much more natural behavior, exploring, hosting coral, cleaning rock as to prepair for laying eggs...they sleep together etc.

I think I did the right thing and I prefer to see them behave as a couple.

i recently lost one of clown fish the other day.was curious if having only one is gonna be hard on remaining fish or should i run and grab her a new buddy

paddyob
01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
There is no rule on this.

Having a pair is common in the hobby as they are easy to pair and it's entertaining.

Don't worry about it too much.

paddyob
01-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I had a single clownfish for a year and half and she was ok but had a unatural behavior of going through the glass up and down, left to right all day, rarely exploring the surrounding.

I got her a male, moved her to a quarantine tank and introduced the smaller male to her in the quarantine tank so there would be less chance of fighting if they both were in an unknow place. It worked well and they quickly formed a couple. After a month in quarantine I moved them both to the main tank and they have been together ever since. They have a much more natural behavior, exploring, hosting coral, cleaning rock as to prepair for laying eggs...they sleep together etc.

I think I did the right thing and I prefer to see them behave as a couple.

My pair will not go further than about 8" from their anemone. They never explore the tank. Ever.

new2reef
01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll hold off on getting a new one I'm still new to the hobby and have notice I'm getting a brown hair like algae and should figure this out first before introducing anymore life forms

BlueWorldAquatic
01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
remember though, clownfish do like the company of another.

You can see this in the interaction when they are little.

Ken

paddyob
01-04-2012, 01:19 AM
remember though, clownfish do like the company of another.

You can see this in the interaction when they are little.

Ken

Yes. But not required all said and done.

daniella3d
01-04-2012, 01:39 AM
not so fast..not all said and done...it all depend on each individual. Mine was going nuts on its own, some might be ok. It is the behavior of the fish that will dictate what to do.

Yes. But not required all said and done.