PDA

View Full Version : Replacing sump... Need advice and help

Steve'o
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi all,
I got a new sump for Xmas, and now I need some advice on how to get my old one out and the new one in.
Got the aqueon model 3...nice looking sump which I intend to do a refuguim in.
So here is the problem, my existing glass sump is in a wood and glass cabinet under my 90 gal tank. There is a main support 3" support in the middle outside edge that the sump is tight against.
The only way to get that support out is to undo bolts on top and bottom of stand...so that is out of the question.
Any advice?
Any help from someone local who could help?
Really appreciated,
Steve'o

Myka
01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
So if you can't get the old sump out, what advice are you looking for? :lol: Sounds like you need to drain the tank...?

Steve'o
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Don't want to do that...afraid I will do so much damage.
Was thinking I could take the front glass off the existing sump by removing the silicon, not sure how to do this?
Steve

jagermaier
01-02-2012, 06:15 PM
If you plan on putting the new in the same place you will have no choice but to remove the center support to get it in anyways.

Lampshade
01-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Is your stand a 2x4 construction? DIY or store bought? if it's 2x4 you could reinforce it by putting beefing up the lateral beams with a couple extra 2x4's. You may be able to do this to a store bought as well, then you should be able to remove the centre beam. IT all depends on what's on the sides for support, and also if you'll be able to get any reinforcement in there.

HaZRaTTy
01-03-2012, 01:10 AM
A picture of your stand would help people give suggestions on a plan of action. Pictures do tell 1000 words. :mrgreen:

Doc_Polit
01-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Great reason to get another tank. :mrgreen:

Steve'o
01-03-2012, 02:53 PM
If you plan on putting the new in the same place you will have no choice but to remove the center support to get it in anyways.

My new sump is not as wide so should slide right in.
Steve

Steve'o
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
A picture of your stand would help people give suggestions on a plan of action. Pictures do tell 1000 words. :mrgreen:

I'll post some pics tonight.. that should help.
Steve'o

Steve'o
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Great reason to get another tank. :mrgreen:

Good point, but would have to sell this one first.. as I would want it in the same place.
Would not mind a bigger tank... hmmmmm :wink:
Steve'o

Cugio
01-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Hahah and you just got that 90 gallon setup too.

Steve'o
01-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Well finally got the old sump out on the weekend. Tried to remove the front glass panel on the sump by scraping away the silicon.. arghhh ended up chipping the glass.. so finally just decided to cut it out. Worked, got the new one in set it up as a refuguim.. some sand a live rock and some chaeto...looking good so far..
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Steve'o