PDA

View Full Version : 20K Reeflux color question

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-31-2011, 10:52 PM
I just switched from 250watt Double end Phoenix 14K on Galaxy ballast and Lumenmax pendants to single end 20K 250watt Reeflux on a Coralvue dimmable ballast with Coralvue Lumen Bright Pendants. The Phoenix 14K were much more of a deep blue than the Reeflux 20K but the Reeflux 20K seem double as bright, although I do not have a par meter. This is probably partially due to the big upgrade in reflectors. The Lumenmax pendants were 8" off the water surface and the Lumenbrights are 18" off the water surface. Nice to get rid of heat problems.

I find the 20K Reeflux is more like a 14K and the 14K Phoenix is more like a 20K. Is this normal? I'm not sure how I feel yet about the color. Overall, the tank is way brighter looking and the fish look much better but I have a ton of Purple Gorgonians and Green SPS, so the corals suddenly look duller...Then again, my yellow, orange and brown gorgs look much nice with the new lights.

Years ago I used the Lumenbright pendants with Hamilton ballasts and 20K XM's and loved the color. Anyone know what bulbs I could try on the Coralvue ballast to get more blue?

When I dim the ballast half way or more, obviously the lights get dimmer but the color becomes very blue. I'd say dimmed as much as it can go which I heard is something like 70%, the color temp is probably more than 20K. I love that these ballast dim but I wish they could actually be controlled and not a manual dim. The tank is near my TV so it is nice to dim them when watching TV and get rid of the glare.

Skimmerking
12-31-2011, 11:21 PM
hey man i used to run them, However that Par value and color shifted with in 3-4 months

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-01-2012, 12:39 AM
hey man i used to run them, However that Par value and color shifted with in 3-4 months

Ok, good to know. You mean the Reeflux right? What ballast? How would you describe the color at the beginning and after the 4 months?

Skimmerking
01-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Ya the reeflux ran it on the galaxy ballast and it would change to a cheaP dull 10-12k. Might of been a bad bulbs I had 2 going at the same time

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Ya the reeflux ran it on the galaxy ballast and it would change to a cheaP dull 10-12k. Might of been a bad bulbs I had 2 going at the same time

No I could see that happening. We'll see over time. I think I'd like to switch to a bluer bulb anyways, so I could do it in 4 months if this one shifts to 10-12K

Ya Dude
01-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Ive been runin reflux 12k for 4 years now and would never change.I feel they have a pretty high blue range with still being realy bright.Thats 400w though?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Ive been runin reflux 12k for 4 years now and would never change.I feel they have a pretty high blue range with still being realy bright.Thats 400w though?

Mine are 250 watt. What ballast do you use?

Ya Dude
01-01-2012, 09:58 PM
coralvue electronic.